OT - Plasma TV question

Old February 26th 06, 07:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default OT - Plasma TV question

On 26 Feb 2006 01:25:20 GMT, Blanche wrote:

Jay:

Rather than a plasma screen, I went with a high-quality
projector (at 1/4th the price). Takes just about every input
(you'll just love MS Sim on a 6 foot wide display!) from the
computer as well as the DVD/TV/satellite/VCR. Inputs are
what you'll find on most systems these days...S-video, component or
the single F plug.

It's an InFocus, model is 2 years old, so I'm sure there are
newer/better/cheaper/whatever models out.

Best of all, it's a box the size of a large phone book, lightweight,
and I can carry it to meetings if I need it. Otherwise I keep it
mounted in the frame I built on the ceiling.

I haven't seen any projector setups I like, or that have the
resolution I want. I want someting I can view in broad daylight.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

On the other hand, the plasma tv has much sharper definition. When I
zoom out the projector, the pixel density remains the same, but the
size of the pixels get bigger, so there's less sharpness.

As for a plasma tv -- if you're a Consumer Reports subscriber,
check the website - they review this stuff all the time.

Old February 26th 06, 07:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay,

I am quite fond of the Philips 37" LCD HDTV that I recently purchased
at Costco for $2000... I have really loved watching the Olympics in HD
on it!

I tend to be biased towards LCDs though due to my experience developing
the LCDs for the 777 EFIS.

Dean

Old February 26th 06, 07:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Um, okay. What's a "digital light processor"? And who makes these
projectors?

It is a MEMS device [...]

Gotta love it when someone explains a TLA with another TLA. Very helpful.

[...]
You'll pay $5000 for a decent one and yes they are relatively dim as
compared to the flat panel TVs, either plasma or LCD.

$5000 should get a very nice and relatively bright DLP projector. Depending
on one's definition of "decent", the price point for that standard starts a
bit lower.

Pete

Old February 26th 06, 07:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
[...]
3. Use a special screen made for projectors. This is by far the best
option, but also by far the most costly. A decent screen will start at
close to a grand.

Again, I suppose it depends on your definition of "decent", but there are
plenty of usable screens out there for a few hundred bucks. No need to
spend a grand just to get a quality picture.

Pete

Old February 26th 06, 08:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Morgans" wrote in message
I would go with a projector, also, but would use a DLP (digital light
processor) driven projector.

Not sure about the DLP projectors, but the normal DLP units are rather
directional in their viewing angle... They look better than LCD or plasma,
but only if you are *directly* in front of them...

Old February 26th 06, 09:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Um, okay. What's a "digital light processor"? And who makes these
projectors?

It is a MEMS device [...]

Gotta love it when someone explains a TLA with another TLA. Very helpful.

[...]
You'll pay $5000 for a decent one and yes they are relatively dim as
compared to the flat panel TVs, either plasma or LCD.

$5000 should get a very nice and relatively bright DLP projector.
Depending on one's definition of "decent", the price point for that
standard starts a bit lower.

There's a couple guys selling used Sony VPL-PX31 projectors on eBay. They
produce about 3000 ANSI lumens. They go for around 1000.00 - 1400.00. It's
a fabulous deal. I have about a dozen of them and they perform flawlessly.
They originally cost about 7K. Couple things to watch for:

The lamp life is about 1500 hours on the high brightness setting.
Replacement lamps are about 400.00 for aftermarket units. Take that into
account when bidding.

The projectors on eBay often have a long throw zoom lens. (That was
originally a 3K option.) The zoom lens model is ZM-101. The zoom angle is
3.5X to 5X. That means the projector would have to be 35 to 50 feet away
from the screen to produce a 10' wide image. The standard lens is 1.8X to
2.5X. That's the one you probably want so be sure it has the correct lens
when bidding.

If your looking for plasmas, try www.plasmanext.com. The guy's name is
Darren. I've bout at least a dozen 50" units from him. The world of plasma
resellers is almost completely scam-infested but these guys have been very
good.

You don't need a screen. The best projection surface for a room with enough
ambient light to read and make notes (most common business meeting scenario)
is a wall painted a light shade of gray. That will increase the contrast
remarkably.

These projectors are native 1024 x 768 resolution. They have a built in
scan converter and will accept any current type of signal. They will
convert an HDTV to work within their native resolution. Purists will be
unhappy with this but I doubt any of your guests will care. And, brightness
will trump resolution in any case. Also note that a projected image is much
larger than any plasma and much better suited to business presentations.
With a 7.5' a 10' viewing area, these will be killer bright. We use them
with screen sizes up to 10.5' x 14' and they work just fine with typical
dining ambient light levels.

Be sure to use good quality video cables to connect these. A typical
computer VGA cable is only good for about 10' before the signal quality
degrades. Stay away from expensive consumer cables and just get some good
industrial grade ones. Let me know if you need a source for them. You may
also want a ceiling mount bracket. Original equipment ones are expensive
(200.00). I buy them on eBay for around 50.00 or less. Again, let me know
if you need a source for one.

moo

Old February 26th 06, 11:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 25 Feb 2006 16:41:00 -0800, Jay Honeck wrote:

I would go with a projector, also, but would use a DLP (digital light
processor) driven projector.

You want at least 2000 contrast, and 2500 lumens, I would think.

Um, okay. What's a "digital light processor"? And who makes these
projectors?

Any idea on cost? I hadn't even considered a projector, as they
always seem too dim.

hm, why don't you ask in the proper newsgroup? there are the experts and
they can answer all your questions.

#m
--
DoD staffer's notes from meetings on 9/11
http://flickr.com/photos/66726692@N00/sets/72057594065491946/
Old February 26th 06, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 02:02:19 -0500, Roger wrote:

I haven't seen any projector setups I like, or that have the
resolution I want. I want someting I can view in broad daylight.

several years ago I've seen something like laser projectors. It was a small
tube with 3 outlets very close to the projecting wall, and the laser
projected the picture clear and bright. Don't know if this sort of
projector died or are already available.

#m
Old February 26th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jose wrote:

Also, please =please= don't stretch a 4x3 image to fit the entire
screen. Everyone looks fat and squishy, and it just looks funny.
Display it with vertical bars on the sides, in its natural 4x3 format,
and save the wide screen display for real wide screen material.

And that leads to the question, what about burn-in on a plasma screen TV?

I suspect that watching a lot of 4x3 source in its native aspect ratio
would be a problem for a plasma TV, no?

--
Peter
Great thread and timely for me, too.
Old February 26th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Be sure to use good quality video cables to connect these. A typical
computer VGA cable is only good for about 10' before the signal quality
degrades. Stay away from expensive consumer cables and just get some good
industrial grade ones. Let me know if you need a source for them. You
may also want a ceiling mount bracket. Original equipment ones are
expensive (200.00). I buy them on eBay for around 50.00 or less. Again,
let me know if you need a source for one.

moo

Dang, dude, you've purchased two DOZEN big screen TVs/projectors?

That's...amazing! Thanks for you advice.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Lyc. O-360 cylinder question JB Owning 13 November 27th 04 09:32 PM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Partnership Question Harry Gordon Owning 4 August 16th 03 11:23 PM
Winching: Steel vs. Plasma Bob Johnson Soaring 10 August 12th 03 05:41 PM