Electronic Artificial Horizon

Old May 2nd 07, 09:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stuart Kinnear

Default Electronic Artificial Horizon

Would appreciate any feedback as I am considering buying

Stuart KInnear

Old May 2nd 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On May 2, 3:21 am, "Stuart Kinnear" wrote:
Would appreciate any feedback as I am considering buying

Stuart KInnear

for my money, if youve got an experimental glider, go for the Dynon
10A flight display. the power draw is low and you get a lot more info
than just an AI. If you are looking for something certified then you
got to stick with a Attitude Indicator. Lots of avionics and
instrument shops sell them. www.oxaero.com is glider oriented and has
TruTraks for about a thousand bucks.

Old May 2nd 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

I tried one a year ago but eventually had to pull it out because it
wouldn't stay calibrated. The lightness of the glider seemed to make
it too sensitive to bumps, and when I pulled out of thermals it would
be off kilter. Sometimes it would do the same flying straight and
level.

The dealer worked with me to try all the various software settings for
sensitivty and calibration to make it work but couldn't.

ymmv/2NO

Old May 2nd 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Markus Graeber

I was looking at the same issue a while back and among others ran
across the MGL system:

http://www.mglavionics.co.za/singles.html

It looks very interesting, Craggy Aero is selling this one along with
the TruTrack system (http://www.craggyaero.com/solidstate.htm). I
don't have any experience with it, anyone like to comment on the MGL
system?

There was a similar thread a while back which you can find here (with
no info on the MGL system):

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...15eb8e7bcde380

Markus

Old May 2nd 07, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

That's the one I tried unsuccessfully last year.

Old May 2nd 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Which one?

"Tuno" wrote in message
oups.com...
That's the one I tried unsuccessfully last year.

Old May 2nd 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

AHRS-1

Old May 2nd 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Stuart Kinnear wrote:
Would appreciate any feedback as I am considering buying

For what purpose: cloud flying, or just keeping it upright if you get
sucked into a cloud? And do you require the instrument be certified?

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old May 3rd 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_1_]

Tuno wrote:
AHRS-1

Has that been improved?

I remember asking about it 2-3 years back and was told then by one of
the local UK agents that it toppled after a few circles. His firm was
selling the rival PCFlightSystems Egyro2 which possibly affected his
advice a little. However, he did say that the Egyro2 had the same
problem until they nagged PCFlightSystems into improving it to the point
that it could take continuous circling.

I like the AHRS-1 and -2 display better (monochrome, not colour) so I'm
curious to know if there's been any upgrades.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old May 3rd 07, 07:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On May 2, 5:52 am, wrote:
for my money, if youve got an experimental glider, go for the Dynon
10A flight display. the power draw is low and you get a lot more info
than just an AI.

The spec at Dynon says 8 watts, which translates to 670 mA, which
doesn't sound low to me, at least for a glider. Or is the actual draw
less than the spec? Admittedly a lot less than a mechanical gyro, but
not something I could run continually for any time. I tried to find
the current draw of the TruTrak units, but couldn't. I think they're
better, but does anyone know for sure?

artificial horizon DavidH Home Built 14 March 14th 07 08:47 AM
Artificial horizon pinout? [email protected] Home Built 3 July 16th 06 02:02 PM
Artificial Horizon testing Rory O'Conor Soaring 6 April 5th 05 11:48 PM
New artificial horizon - Sigmatek or R.C. Allen? David Herman Owning 7 November 13th 04 02:38 PM
Artificial Horizon/Autopilot Connection Jay Honeck Owning 2 September 7th 03 05:07 PM