Parachute 20 year limit

Old December 12th 08, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default Parachute 20 year limit

Fred Blair wrote:
I used a round chute when I had to bail out of my Open Cirrus, it just
wasn't an $8 million dollar crash.

No fireball, either.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old December 12th 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

There has to be a story there, also JJ .............tell us more.
FB

Not much of a story, just a couple of Lieutenants trying to learn how
to fly the damned thing. I learned to worry more about aviating and
less about the radar. My pilot learned he shouldn't try to pull 6 G's
with the power at idle! We punched out at the last minute and
everything worked as advertised. They issued us another bird and we
finished up our recee training and got an all-expense-paid senior trip
to south east asia.
JJ
Old December 12th 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

On Dec 12, 4:13*pm, JJ Sinclair wrote:
There has to be a story there, also JJ .............tell us more.
FB

Not much of a story, just a couple of Lieutenants trying to learn how
to fly the damned thing. I learned to worry *more about aviating and
less about the *radar. My pilot learned he shouldn't try to pull 6 G's
with the power at idle! We punched out at the last minute and
everything worked as advertised. They issued us another bird and we
finished up our recee training and got an all-expense-paid senior trip
to south east asia.
JJ

JJ,

Was that in F-100, F-101, F-105, or F-4? Or something else?

And what extras were you afforded with a "senior" trip to SE Asia?

By the way, my Strong chute is a 1987 model. And, since it's a round
'chute, I'll get a-round to sending it to Strong in late winter ...

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
Old December 13th 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tech Support

JJ

I had a flight of T-33's just out of overhaul, being ferried to
Iceland to replace old ones. TAC Ferry Command launched us out of
Goose Bay (VFR) and Sondy (Sondrestrom) went IFR after we passed
point of no return. Held over an hour to let two flights of F-5's
land.

When we started approach (minimum fuel) GCA lost radio and I went to
Guard.. They vectored us around for a new approach and forgot we were
on Guard and let us overshoot final and sent us around with 12 gallons
of fuel. Climbed to over 10K to be sure would clear Ice Pack and
punched on a heading of east to be sure were over land. No survival if
we had landed in water. When I hit the frozen ground and rocks all I
could see momentarily was red due to impact. With winter and survial
gear probaly grossed out between 225-250 lbs. Was picked up by a
Danish Chopper and when we landed back at Sondy it went dark walking
to ambulance.

Lots of little things more but not enough time, without writing a
book, to cover them and might not be of interest to the gravity
powered pilots.

Three airplanes and valued about $55K each due to deprecation. All
four pilots walked using round chutes )

Aircraft discussion way off this soaring news group but talking chutes
probably ok.

Big John
On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 06:03:28 -0800 (PST), JJ Sinclair
wrote:

I jumped about 10K and 150 mph in controlled flight over a snow storm
cloud bank (Greenland).

There's got to be a good story there, Big John..........tell us more!

I jumped a (round) chute sooooo close to impact that I could feel the
heat from the fireball as 8 million taxpayer dollers slammed into the
side of a hill a few miles north of Mt. Home, ID (June, 1967).
JJ

Old December 13th 08, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tech Support

JJ

Have you gotten your Caterpillar Pin?

Big John

***********************

Old December 13th 08, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Ittner

Fred Blair wrote:
There has to be a story there, also JJ .............tell us more.

JJ's stories can be found he

http://www.valleysoaring.net/stories.htm

The story about his Mtn Home silkworm is titled "15 Minutes to Kill",
but my favorite story is "The Torch", in which JJ accidently sets fire
to his landout field, providing the inspiration for this episode of Pez D.
Spencer - Sailplane Racer:

http://www.soaravenal.com/diamond11.htm

By the way, Pez cartoonist John Shelton also flew the F-4 in Southeast
Asia, and has his own silkworm stories...

P7 unit

Old December 13th 08, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

Have you gotten your Caterpillar Pin?

Big John

By the time I retired I had two of them, one from the RF-4C and
another from the F-111F. Haven't added to my collection as
yet...............?
To bring this discussion back to soaring, I went through my egress
procedure twice on one very smoky day last year at the sports class
nats. None of us could see the ground and I was using the bottom of
the Q's as my horizon. If someone suddenly appeared in front of me, I
wouldn't have had time to avoid a collision. I didn't see anyone, but
I knew 30 sailplanes were running the same set of turnpoints on the
west side flying a MAT. A friend later told me he almost nailed me,
but I never saw him. We were below IFR minimums on several days, I
know because I couldn't see Montague when the GPS said we were 3 miles
out! The conditions were part of my reasoning to withdraw from the
contest.
Cheers,
JJ

limit of trim = limit of travel? Mxsmanic Piloting 251 May 11th 08 07:58 PM
The Sky is Their Limit [email protected] Soaring 7 November 13th 06 03:44 AM
Pegasus life limit Mark628CA Soaring 2 March 30th 06 10:37 PM
Aft CG limit(s) Andy Durbin Soaring 13 November 26th 03 06:10 AM
Pushing the limit Dan Shackelford Military Aviation 20 September 14th 03 10:27 PM