A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Help using tablet to transfer files to OLC

Old September 2nd 14, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Help using tablet to transfer files to OLC

I have just acquired a Toshiba tablet and was hoping to use it as means to transfer log files to OLC. Seems that there is a problem between the files I now successfully put on a flash drive and use my laptop to send to OLC; something to do with the tablet working on a different format.
Bearing in mind that I am digitally challenged, has anyone sorted this out? So please in plain language. And thanks!
Howard
Old September 2nd 14, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

Dennis:
Needed to do something similar at work with an ipad and music files. Tried a couple of "finder" apps. Contacted the app developers.
Bad news, Apple will not allow full file access through USB on its ios devices.
Howard:
I thought using android for this was easy using an OTG cable and the USB stick containing the file from my logger. Unsure what your logger is, but the "flash" card should work the same way. If a Micro SD, likely without needing the cable.
To move files to the tablet, try using an android app called ES File Explorer. There's an option for file format to save as. Without it in front of me, it's something like "use original format" or "convert to android".
Use original format.
Jim

On Tuesday, September 2, 2014 12:39:37 PM UTC-7, HGXC wrote:

I just went thru this. I fly with a Cambridge GPS, LNAV and a compaq with Glide Nav2. I download the GPS file on site and then run a program to convert the Cambridge data into IGC files. Then when i get internet I send it to OLC. I wish someone would make an app that will allow me to download to my iphone, convert and send to my OLC. Does anyone know of anyone working on this?

Dennis

Old September 3rd 14, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Jim:
Many thanks! I will try this tomorrow, when hope to fly. Will report back on the grounds that if a computer illiterate like me can make it work anybody can.
Howard

On Tuesday, September 2, 2014 9:40:40 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I have just acquired a Toshiba tablet and was hoping to use it as means to transfer log files to OLC. Seems that there is a problem between the files I now successfully put on a flash drive and use my laptop to send to OLC; something to do with the tablet working on a different format.

Bearing in mind that I am digitally challenged, has anyone sorted this out? So please in plain language. And thanks!

Howard

Old September 8th 14, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Naviter Info
external usenet poster

Not sure how many are aware of the possibility that we created together with OLC:

1. Copy your file to your Android phone or tablet any way you can (Howare already can do it apparently)

2. Run SeeYou on your tablet (it's available through Google Play and complimentary if you already have an active SeeYou subscription)

3. Open the flight in SeeYou on your tablet/phone.

4. Press the Menu button then choose "Upload to..", OLC will be one of the choices.

5. Enter your OLC username and press "Share".

OLC then mandates another step in the process which however is quite easy to complete even on a small smartphone.

This works great, I use it all the time.

Cheers,
Andrej Kolar
--
glider pilots use
http://www.naviter.com/

On Tuesday, September 2, 2014 5:40:40 PM UTC+2, wrote:

Howard

Old September 8th 14, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Having neither wifi in my hangar nor a data plan on my Android phone, I
copy my igc file from my 302 to my phone via XCSoar and Bluetooth (K6
BT) and then move it to my Dropbox. When I come in range of a wifi the
file is placed in the cloud and, when I start my laptop at home, the
file is automatically downloaded to the laptop. I then go to the OLC
website and upload.

There are so many ways...

Dan Marotta

On 9/8/2014 6:14 AM, Naviter Info wrote:
Not sure how many are aware of the possibility that we created together with OLC:

1. Copy your file to your Android phone or tablet any way you can (Howare already can do it apparently)

2. Run SeeYou on your tablet (it's available through Google Play and complimentary if you already have an active SeeYou subscription)

3. Open the flight in SeeYou on your tablet/phone.

4. Press the Menu button then choose "Upload to..", OLC will be one of the choices.

5. Enter your OLC username and press "Share".

OLC then mandates another step in the process which however is quite easy to complete even on a small smartphone.

This works great, I use it all the time.

Cheers,
Andrej Kolar
--
glider pilots use
http://www.naviter.com/

On Tuesday, September 2, 2014 5:40:40 PM UTC+2, wrote:

Howard