Affect of Alcohol (Beer) on Soaring and Soaring Racing

Old February 26th 19, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

Default Affect of Alcohol (Beer) on Soaring and Soaring Racing

On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 12:09:14 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 4:53:07 PM UTC+13, 2G wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impulse_control_disorder

9B
Old February 26th 19, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 9:05:07 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I know Sebastian Kawa and a few others never touch alcohol. Some racing pilots stay away around competitions. Others have a beer waiting on ice when they land.

Is it just a high performance athlete focusing thing - or is there more to it. I did a search and couldn't fined any discussions.

WH

Did any of you guys ever read the book, Dead Doctors Don't Lie ???
Old February 27th 19, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Andy Blackburn wrote on 2/26/2019 12:33 PM:
On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 12:09:14 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 4:53:07 PM UTC+13, 2G wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impulse_control_disorder

I thought ICD was "Internet Conspiracy Disorder".

Old March 1st 19, 06:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 8:34:57 PM UTC-8, wrote:
The ACSH is legit. Legit sellers of science fiction. Plenty of BS on the other side but that doesn't make these clowns honest.
https://usrtk.org/hall-of-shame/why-...ce-and-health/
A series of emails about the American Council on Science and Health released via lawsuits against Monsanto reveal that Monsanto paid ACSH on an ongoing basis to help defend its embattled products. Monsanto executives described ACSH’s materials promoting and defending agrichemical products as “EXTREMELY USEFUL” [sic] and noted that ACSH was working with Monsanto to discredit the World Health Organization’s cancer panel report about the cancer risk of glyphosate (read more about Monsanto PR strategy to discredit IARC here).

The emails show that ACSH staff wrote to Monsanto requesting “Monsanto’s continued, and much needed, support in 2015.” Some Monsanto staffers were uncomfortable working with ACSH but decided to pay them anyway, according to the emails. Monsanto’s senior science lead Daniel Goldstein wrote to colleagues: “I can assure you I am not all starry eyed about ACSH- they have PLENTY of warts- but: You WILL NOT GET A BETTER VALUE FOR YOUR DOLLAR than ACSH.”

Oh PUHLEEEESSSSSSSEEEEEEE!

And the FDA also can't be trusted? Pedal your conspiracy theories somewhere they'll be appreciated, like alt.gov.underground.
Old March 1st 19, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 12:09:14 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 4:53:07 PM UTC+13, 2G wrote:

LOL! You don't accept the opinion of the FDA, but you DO accept that of a QUACK! Snopes merely published a response to these aspartame hoaxes by David Hattan, Acting Director of the Division of Health Effects Evaluation in the United States Food & Drug Administration (USFDA) Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition. You obviously didn't read it.

_____

For those concerned about thread drift, go ahead and scroll on by. It's easy! I do it all the time ...

You can't be that naive, 2G. The FDA has long been referred to as the "Fraud and Death Administration". Its head is a political appointee. The FDA serves the bottom lines of Big Food and Big Pharma, and the "revolving door" spins from the FDA to industry and back again at an alarming pace. Simply google FDA and "revolving door" to get quite an eyeful.

For 16 years G.D. Searle, now part of Monsanto, tried to get approval for aspartame, but it had been denied by FDA scientists. Why? Because three independent scientists found that aspartame came with a high danger of inducing brain tumours. "The FDA's own toxicologist, Dr Adrian Gross, told Congress that without a shadow of a doubt, aspartame can cause brain tumours and brain cancer."

Donald Rumsfeld, the CEO of Searle at the time, managed to use his transitional federal government position to place a crony in charge of the FDA -- Arthur Hull Hayes, Jr. Rumsfeld's man helped push aspartame through while hiding the results of certain tests before 1970, where monkeys either died or had grand mal seizures. No FDA Commissioner in the previous 16 years had allowed aspartame on the market. Dr Monte goes into the whole sordid story in his book, as do other scientists and journalists online. Rumsfeld reportedly received a $12 million bonus from Monsanto (which absorbed Searle) for his "efforts".

Soon after that successful dirty deed, Rumsfeld's useful crony Hayes went to work for Burson-Marsteller, the chief public relations firm for both Monsanto and G.D. Searle. The revolving door keeps on spinning.

Are you going to smear neurosurgeon Russell Blaylock as a quack, too? In his book _Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills_, he details the relationship between aspartame and macular degeneration, diabetic blindness, and glaucoma.

And good luck in blithely dismissing the medical text _Aspartame Disease: An Ignored Epidemic_ by Dr H. J. Roberts. Another quack in your estimation? These docs weren't rewarded with millions for their "efforts". On the contrary, taking on Big Pharma is time-consuming, costly, and dangerous.

Gotta love the FDA. Our tax dollars at work, serving corporate interests and not the public the FDA purports to protect.

So, have at it, 2G. Guzzle that aspartame. You might just be the lucky one, inured to the damage it does to the rest of us mere mortals. Interestingly, in a story for your "karma's a bitch" file, an employee working for the Searle family reported that, despite being warned by others of the dangers of aspartame, Bill Searle and his brother Fred continued to drink Diet Coke. (Bill was the driving force behind the approval for aspartame.) "Perhaps they were trying to justify themselves," the employee opined. Both died of brain cancer, but the employee reported that it was "hushed up".

Well, I guess that you believe that the FDA CAN'T be trusted - recommend that you swear off all prescription drugs! Are you related to Jim Jones?
Old March 1st 19, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Who brought the NPC to the party?
Old March 3rd 19, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]

Ironic this drinking thread devolves into an outright bar fight.

Funny how that works isn't it Jonathan? ha ha!

Old March 3rd 19, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 9:26:31 AM UTC+13, 2G wrote:

Newsflash: You are a Kiwi and clearly ignorant of how things work he
snip

Hey! At least I'm not an Aussie! har. (G'day, Bruce.)

I am currently a resident of NZ who has spent the vast majority of my life in your own country, 2G. I know very well how things are done in "America" (as they call it here in Godzone) and how corrupted government agencies often are at the highest levels. It's no different here in NZ. We have the same "revolving door" between our FDA and EPA and industry as does the US, and the same "credibility trap" in both local and national government. I was privy to some private whistleblowers' confessions (very few actually go public, as they have jobs to keep and families to support), as I had been in retirement a volunteer citizen investigative journalist of sorts for a short time, before the extent of the corruption sickened me and the threats were arriving more frequently. I have great admiration for those who can stick with the public exposure of corruption, year after year, and take the inevitable retribution. "No good deed goes unpunished". New Zealand's Nicky Hager is a man among men ...

A real eye-popper is the recent book written by a senior scientist who was at the USEPA for 25 years in the Office of Pesticide Programs -- _Poison Spring: the Secret History of Pollution and the EPA_. (I note that the expose wasn't published until after his retirement.) It explains why and how the chemical and other industries have captured the EPA and turned it from an environmental protection agency into a polluters' protection agency. It gives names, dates, documentary evidence, and how certain political appointees were "wilfully blind" and thus amply rewarded by industry after their stint was over. It details exactly how the agrochemical companies produced and submitted fraudulent research in order to obtain approval from the USEPA for their herbicides. Just like the FDA and its own regulatory capture! Because I was scheduled to make a presentation before a local government hearing, and because the NZEPA relies heavily on the USEPA's decisions, I sent a copy of the book to an acquaintance who had been a Prof of Biochemistry at the uni where I used to teach in NY, as he also did consulting for local government. After he read it, he emailed me the following: "I think my hair turned white overnight". He then swore me to secrecy (he had kids in college to support) before dropping some details (except names) about the corruption he witnessed as part of his own (lucrative) consulting gig. His point was "this alarming degree of corruption is everywhere".

So, 2G, I am far from ignorant re "how things work" at government agencies (that are supposed to be protecting the public) in your neck of the world.

And then, not surprisingly, come the increasingly histrionic insults ...

You are obviously a full-blown conspiracy nut of the type proven to be completely impervious to logical reasoning, so I am DONE responding to your ramblings and I suggest that everyone else here to the same.

Because you repeat your smears without any evidential support of your claims, I repeat my reply -- the numerous highly-credentialed scientists whose peer-reviewed research and whose warnings I have cited, including FDA's own (very brave) whistleblowing scientists, are "obviously" NOT full-blown conspiracy nuts, 2G. Nor are they "rambling" in their publications. I believe that most people would agree that "logical reasoning" is not exhibited by blithely dismissing the FDA's own senior toxicologist's testimony before Congress: "Without a shadow of a doubt, aspartame can cause brain tumours and brain cancer."

It's been real, 2G. Safe flying to you and your buddies.
Old March 3rd 19, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

Can't we all just get along and have a few beers and enjoy what the heck is going on.
Old March 6th 19, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

There are scientific studies showing more than two diet drinks a day are linked to
some health issues, including strokes.

Very interesting, because I had a friend who sucked down about 6 diet Cokes a day. It made me very nervous to know he was doing that. Then he had a stroke at age 50! (Later died of cancer.) Coincidence?