vinyl wrap

Old October 4th 18, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default vinyl wrap

Greetings all, I was wondering if anyone here has any information or experience with vinyl wraps for wings, control surfaces, fuselage on sailplanes, It seems that this product would be pretty easy to use on ailerons, elevators and rudders and would be insignificant weight gains. Iknow that it is used in aviation. I think that the biggest issue may be static electricity and any drag resulting from dust adhered to surface of the wing due to static electricity
Old October 4th 18, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Wednesday, October 3, 2018 at 7:59:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Greetings all, I was wondering if anyone here has any information or experience with vinyl wraps for wings, control surfaces, fuselage on sailplanes, It seems that this product would be pretty easy to use on ailerons, elevators and rudders and would be insignificant weight gains. Iknow that it is used in aviation. I think that the biggest issue may be static electricity and any drag resulting from dust adhered to surface of the wing due to static electricity

I would not even think about putting any wrap on control surfaces. The weight is not insignificant for control surfaces.
Old October 4th 18, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Randy Teel

On Wednesday, October 3, 2018 at 4:59:11 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Greetings all, I was wondering if anyone here has any information or experience with vinyl wraps for wings, control surfaces, fuselage on sailplanes, It seems that this product would be pretty easy to use on ailerons, elevators and rudders and would be insignificant weight gains. Iknow that it is used in aviation. I think that the biggest issue may be static electricity and any drag resulting from dust adhered to surface of the wing due to static electricity

I have seen an entire Twin Astir wrap and it looks beautiful. I have also the rudder on an ASW27 wrapped. Send me an email and I will forward the information/contact to you.

Randy

Old October 4th 18, 04:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Wednesday, October 3, 2018 at 9:28:19 PM UTC-4, Randy Teel wrote:
On Wednesday, October 3, 2018 at 4:59:11 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Greetings all, I was wondering if anyone here has any information or experience with vinyl wraps for wings, control surfaces, fuselage on sailplanes, It seems that this product would be pretty easy to use on ailerons, elevators and rudders and would be insignificant weight gains. Iknow that it is used in aviation. I think that the biggest issue may be static electricity and any drag resulting from dust adhered to surface of the wing due to static electricity

I have seen an entire Twin Astir wrap and it looks beautiful. I have also the rudder on an ASW27 wrapped. Send me an email and I will forward the information/contact to you.

Randy

Here is a nice video showing how it is done on a glider for decorative purposes. Pretty neat!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVSxEuOZMFE

Uli
'AS'
Old October 4th 18, 07:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fraser Wilson[_2_]

I considered doing this but one of the problems I came across is
the 3M 1080 film, probably the best on the market, is only
available in a 1.8m width, which is not wide enough to do a
seamless job on my wing (single seat 15m). I understand it
shrinks with age so any seams will tend to open. So I went for
paint.

I’ve since found another gloss white film manufacturer offering a
2.5m width, but it’s service durability is unproven, unlike 1080.

I would be interested in any pictures of the twin Astir, which film
they used, how they’ve done seams and how the film is standing
up to the test of time.

Fraser

:
Greetings all, I was wondering if anyone here has any

information or
ex=
perience with vinyl wraps for wings, control surfaces, fuselage on
sailplan=
es, It seems that this product would be pretty easy to use on

ailerons,
ele=
vators and rudders and would be insignificant weight gains.

Iknow that it
i=
s used in aviation. I think that the biggest issue may be static
electricit=
y and any drag resulting from dust adhered to surface of the

wing due to
st=
atic electricity
=20
I have seen an entire Twin Astir wrap and it looks beautiful. I

have
also=
the rudder on an ASW27 wrapped. Send me an email and I will

forward the
i=
nformation/contact to you.
=20
Randy

Here is a nice video showing how it is done on a glider for

decorative
purp=
oses. Pretty neat!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DjVSxEuOZMFE

Uli
'AS'

Old October 4th 18, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, October 3, 2018 at 8:22:12 PM UTC-4, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Wednesday, October 3, 2018 at 7:59:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Greetings all, I was wondering if anyone here has any information or experience with vinyl wraps for wings, control surfaces, fuselage on sailplanes, It seems that this product would be pretty easy to use on ailerons, elevators and rudders and would be insignificant weight gains. Iknow that it is used in aviation. I think that the biggest issue may be static electricity and any drag resulting from dust adhered to surface of the wing due to static electricity

I would not even think about putting any wrap on control surfaces. The weight is not insignificant for control surfaces.

Concordia used film finish on control surfaces for weight saving.
That said just putting over old cracked gelcoat would be a poor decision.
UH
Old October 4th 18, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fraser Wilson[_2_]

At 06:33 04 October 2018, Fraser Wilson wrote:
I considered doing this but one of the problems I came across is
the 3M 1080 film, probably the best on the market, is only
available in a 1.5 m (correction from previous) width, which is

Old October 4th 18, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Monokote or similar?
Old October 5th 18, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

That said just putting over old cracked gelcoat would be a poor decision.
UH

Why? Not challenging what you say, UH, just want to understand what the issues would be. I can guess some, but I would love to hear yours, much more of an experience base than mine....

Cheers,
J6
Old October 5th 18, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, October 5, 2018 at 6:25:51 PM UTC-4, wrote:
That said just putting over old cracked gelcoat would be a poor decision.
UH

Why? Not challenging what you say, UH, just want to understand what the issues would be. I can guess some, but I would love to hear yours, much more of an experience base than mine....

Cheers,
J6

1- Unless enough of the existing finish is removed, there likely will be mass balance issues.
2- If failing finish is not removed, the failure of the finish will continue. It is cracking because it is old and brittle and shrinking.
3- Crappy under surface will almost certainly show through unless sanded smooth and flat.
"There has to be an easier way".
UH

Vinyl Numbers [email protected] Soaring 10 June 19th 18 11:03 PM
Applying Vinyl Contest numbers..... Gary Adams Soaring 0 May 11th 12 10:13 PM
Removing vinyl letters Gary[_5_] Soaring 7 December 31st 11 07:10 PM
vinyl trim source Brad[_2_] Soaring 3 March 23rd 10 06:02 AM
Plastic/Vinyl letters Mel Dawson Soaring 23 February 19th 06 12:46 AM