DG-400 Oxygen Bottle Problems

Old August 30th 05, 07:16 PM

Default DG-400 Oxygen Bottle Problems

The only test and recertification station to serve Utah refuses to test
and fill the german factory bottles for the DG-400 since they do not
have a USA DOT stamp on them. The official regulations (which he
showed me) state that foreign bottles without the DOT stamp can only be
tested for "EXPORT" use. ie, airliner, ship, etc....leaving the USA
for its use. Oxygen suppliers theoretically should not even be filling
the bottles without the DOT stamp on them. I got two bottles out of
date and the last one nearing out of date ( so far I have local
airports filling them if the date stamp is ok, they don't know about
the DOT stamp requirement regarding refills.) On the DG-400 as most of
you know the bottle which has a smaller diameter than USA bottles and
fits in a fiberglass sleeve that threads its way from the cockpit past
the fuel tank without much room to spare. 90% of my flight time is on
Oxygen in the Rockies so it is getting critical to solve this stalmate
with oxygen bottle testing. DG-400 owners, what are you doing to solve
this problem???

Old August 30th 05, 07:50 PM
Tim Mara

this is why we started again offering STEEL bottles......these are slightly
smaller diameter than the later Aluminum and Kevlar bottles
please see my page : http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page35.htm
tim
Wings & Wheels
www.wingsandwheels.com

oups.com...

Old August 31st 05, 12:01 AM
Tim Mara

you can Hydro test anything.......even a Pepsi can.......but you cannot
legally fill oxygen bottles in the USA without the DOT approval and stamp.
tim

"Gary Evans" wrote in message
German 02 bottles can be hydro tested at the following
facility. Just had mine done and the cost was $47.50
plus shipping.

TYM's
414 West Arbor Vitae Street
Inglewood, Ca 90301
310-673-3330
Fax 310-673-0580

Old August 31st 05, 12:12 AM
Andy

I'd be interested in seeing a link to that rule. My inderstanding was
that it was illegal to transport uncertified cylinders not that it was
illegal to fill them. What is the jurisdiction of DOT? One advantage
of a self-serve club oxygen system I suppose.

Andy

Old August 31st 05, 12:29 AM
BTIZ

until your inspection date runs out.. and then how do you pass the annual
condition inspection for the glider?

oups.com...

Old August 31st 05, 01:15 AM
Tim Mara

how do you fill them if you can't transport them? isn't flying a glider, or
trailering a glider also transporting????
tim

oups.com...

Old August 31st 05, 03:57 AM
Mal

so putting it back in should make your insurance invalid and the annual.

Doh