Strange 747/Pratt & Whitney project

Old January 16th 09, 09:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

Default Strange 747/Pratt & Whitney project

We are installing a PT-6 on the top or on the nose of a 747! Can't
tell you where or what company.
Can you figure out why we would be doing such a thing?
Doesn't a 747 go much faster than anything running a PT-6?
We really don't know why this project is happening so I would
appreciate hearing your guesses.

Thanks,

Ricky
Old January 16th 09, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

On Jan 16, 4:22*am, Ricky wrote:
We are installing a PT-6 on the top or on the nose of a 747! Can't
tell you where or what company.
Can you figure out why we would be doing such a thing?
Doesn't a 747 go much faster than anything running a PT-6?
We really don't know why this project is happening so I would
appreciate hearing your guesses.

Thanks,

Ricky

Your engineering team just discovered crystal meth?
Old January 16th 09, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"Ricky" wrote in message
We are installing a PT-6 on the top or on the nose of a 747! Can't
tell you where or what company.
Can you figure out why we would be doing such a thing?
Doesn't a 747 go much faster than anything running a PT-6?
We really don't know why this project is happening so I would
appreciate hearing your guesses.

Thanks,

Ricky

Yes that is a strange project! Hi speed blade testing?

Old January 16th 09, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tech Support

Ricky

A couple of WAGs.

1. Use PT-6 turbo prop to help take offs with max gross, hot day and
high altitude field.

2. Make normal 4 engine take off and at cruise altitude start PT-6
turbo prop and shut two engines down. This config would save a lot of
fuel and help bottom line.

3. New version of PT-6 and 747 airframe used as test bed. Qualify
another (bigger) engine for UAV use to carry heavier load.

4.Testing at high altitude for possible use on UAV .

Do you know the project or just fishing for possibilities )

Big John

Old January 16th 09, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

On Jan 16, 1:23*pm, Tech Support wrote:
Ricky

A couple of WAGs.

1. Use PT-6 turbo prop to help take offs with max gross, hot day and
high altitude field.

2. Make normal 4 engine take off and at cruise altitude start PT-6
turbo prop and shut two engines down. This config would save a lot of
fuel and help bottom line.

3. New version of PT-6 and 747 airframe used as test bed. Qualify
another (bigger) engine for UAV use to carry heavier load.

4.Testing at high altitude for possible use on UAV .

The testbed idea sounds plausible. #2 is probably not likely due to
prop's inefficiency at high mach.
Old January 16th 09, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
More_Flaps

On Jan 16, 10:22*pm, Ricky wrote:
We are installing a PT-6 on the top or on the nose of a 747! Can't
tell you where or what company.
Can you figure out why we would be doing such a thing?
Doesn't a 747 go much faster than anything running a PT-6?
We really don't know why this project is happening so I would
appreciate hearing your guesses.

My first guess extra electrical power generation, the second high
atltude tests.

Cheers
Old January 17th 09, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

wrote:

We are installing a PT-6 on the top or on the nose of a 747! Can't
tell you where or what company.
Can you figure out why we would be doing such a thing?
Doesn't a 747 go much faster than anything running a PT-6?
We really don't know why this project is happening so I would
appreciate hearing your guesses.

Thanks,

Ricky- Hide quoted text -

The testbed sounds plausible since this 747 is being fitted with a
new, uncertified Pratt turbine engine for testing.

I do know the project as last night I was doing layout on one of the
doublers that wrap practically all the way around the plane aft of the
cockpit.

Ricky
Old January 17th 09, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:
We are installing a PT-6 on the top or on the nose of a 747! Can't
tell you where or what company.
Can you figure out why we would be doing such a thing?
Doesn't a 747 go much faster than anything running a PT-6?
We really don't know why this project is happening so I would
appreciate hearing your guesses.
Thanks,
Ricky- Hide quoted text -

The testbed sounds plausible since this 747 is being fitted with a
new, uncertified Pratt turbine engine for testing.

I do know the project as last night I was doing layout on one of the
doublers that wrap practically all the way around the plane aft of the
cockpit.

Ricky

But why would they use a airplane the size of a 747 to test a PT6?
Even a big PT6's power is tiny compared to the 747's thrust.

Dan
Old January 17th 09, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

On Jan 17, 3:20*pm, wrote:

*But why would they use a airplane the size of a 747 to test a PT6?
Even a big PT6's power is tiny compared to the 747's thrust.

You know, Dan, that's exactly why I posted this. Although I'm working
on the mod, the company I work for is hush hush about the reasoning
behind what they are doing.
I do know that one of the 747's engines will be replaced with another
engine for testing & possible certification. I also know this short-
body 747 is a bone yard rescue, very old (I was sitting in the pilot's
seat during a break & everything is ancient up there), and will have
several projects/modifications hanging onto it at various times.

We also know that somewhere, either on the nose or directly above/
aside the lounge, there will be a PT-6 mounted. I do know that larger
versions of the PT-6 (PT-6C) produce 1600-2300 shaft horse power but
why a 747 mount is beyond my ability to comprehend.
My thinking is that the speed of a 747 is so much faster than anything
running a PT-6 that this project sounds unreasonable.
There's gotta be a good reason otherwise Pratt wouldn't be spending
the millions on the project they are. & I will fish around at work
until I find out. Hopefully I can get a picture or two with the thing
on the nose. Won't THAT look interesting?!

It'll be kinda like the photo I have of a Beech Baron my dad worked on
developing that had a third engine mounted on the nose.

Ricky

Old January 19th 09, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JJ[_2_]

More_Flaps wrote:

My first guess extra electrical power generation, the second high
atltude tests.

Cheers

Mine was as an APU for the latest pulsed beam toys. You would want the loads
to be separate from any of the rest of the AC.

JJ