TE vario

Old June 2nd 04, 05:04 PM
G.A. Seguin

Default TE vario

Hi,
I am looking for a vario which take TE from pitot and static pressure,
like the Westerboer, to go with my LX 5000 which has electronic TE.
Gilles
Old June 3rd 04, 03:52 AM
Kevin Christner

I'm a little bit confused. If you are using pitot and static in a
vario then you need electronic compentation. If you use reverse-pitot
(total energy probe) you need no compensation. I think you are
talking about wanted a vario that uses a total energy probe.

In fact, the LX5000 will use the total energy probe. You just need
set compensation to zero. If you want another vario to go along with
the LX5000, consider B40 if you want an electronic vario, or a Sage
or Winter if you want a mechanical one. The nice part about the B40
is you dont need a capacity bottle.

Kevin

Old June 4th 04, 09:13 AM
Bert Willing

As far as I recall, the Bohli varios use this compensation principle, and
they have quite a good reputation.

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"

"Todd Pattist" a écrit dans le message de
Kevin Christner wrote:

I'm a little bit confused. If you are using pitot and static in a
vario then you need electronic compentation. If you use reverse-pitot
(total energy probe) you need no compensation. I think you are
talking about wanted a vario that uses a total energy probe.

No, there are older TE designs using a diaphragm between the
pitot and capacity at static pressure. As you slow, the
diaphragm flexes less and the volume of the capacity
increases. It's designed to flex just enough to compensate
for the expansion of the air due to your stick thermal so no
air flows out the vario due to your climb even though you
have no TE tube, and your vario is hooked to static.

They never had a great reputation, and I'm not aware of any
varios that had this feature built in, but it could have
been. I suspect any diaphragm compensators still around
will need some tender loving care to resurrect to usefulness
as the diaphragms were kind of finicky and aged quickly.

Todd Pattist - "WH" Ventus C
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)

Old June 7th 04, 07:08 PM
tango4

Todd

The Bohli is a very sensitive total energy taught band variometer. Todays
replacement value is around 2100 Euro ( see
http://www.bohli-magnete.ch/pdf/4ins-ve.pdf ) I suspect that you have it
connected incorrectly! Anyone out there have a manual for the Bohli vario
for Todd?

Ian

"Todd Pattist" wrote in message
news
"Bert Willing"
wrote:

As far as I recall, the Bohli varios use this compensation principle, and
they have quite a good reputation.

I have a Bohli vario and mine shows no sign of using such
compensation. It came attached to my TE, where it worked
well, but it interfered with my internal capacity Ilec and I
took it off the TE and put it on the static where it's
subject to stick thermals, but serves as a backup.

Old June 8th 04, 04:44 AM
tango4

Yes the -1 is a mechanical vario. There is a compensator diaphragm in that
bulge on the back of those varios. I believe that is the TE compensation. I
think that the knob changes the amount of compensation. I had one in my old
LS-1 and it was a beautifully sensitive vario but I didn't have a manual for
it then either so I'm unsure of the connections for it.

"tango4" wrote:

The Bohli is a very sensitive total energy taught band variometer. Todays
replacement value is around 2100 Euro ( see
http://www.bohli-magnete.ch/pdf/4ins-ve.pdf ) I suspect that you have it
connected incorrectly! Anyone out there have a manual for the Bohli vario
for Todd?

Your interesting link leads me to suspect I have the
68-PVF-2 which is only 830 Euros, rather than the 68-PVF-1
at 2100 Euros. The -1 says it's TE, the -2 doesn't specify,
but looks more like mine (except for the M-ring) and the
price implies it's a more basic instrument. Moreover, I
would have it inadvertently connected *correctly*, not
incorrectly, since I had to remove it from the TE probe it
was originally on. Either way, it definitely has stick
thermals, but it's interesting to know there's a fancier TE
version. Does the -1 version operate mechanically? It
seems to have a knob of some type on it.

VARIO REPAIR Vorsanger1 Soaring 2 May 26th 04 12:19 PM
Ball Vario JJ Sinclair Soaring 2 January 31st 04 06:45 PM
Vario time constants Bill Daniels Soaring 3 January 20th 04 04:18 PM
Vario flask insulation Bill Daniels Soaring 37 January 18th 04 01:49 PM
radio / vario interference - HELP! Chris Davison Soaring 13 November 3rd 03 07:09 AM