Upgrade handheld GPS, or save for panel mount?

Old March 2nd 04, 08:26 PM

Default Upgrade handheld GPS, or save for panel mount?

I am thinking about upgrading my aging Garmin 195. The new inexpensive
WAAS-enabled offerings from Lowrance make it almost irresistible, and my
Garmin is losing value in the used market fast. As I see it, my
options are to upgrade the handheld or just grit my teeth and save up
for a panel-mount. My home airport should have a GPS approach sometime
in the next 2 years, about the same time I will be pursuing an
instrument rating.

The cheapest solution, obviously, is to do nothing and just hold onto
the 195. It works great, if slow, and has a big screen. In 2 years it
will be worthless, so perhaps this isn't the cheapest solution after all.

Right now I could upgrade to the Lowrance 500 for about $100 net, and
have a fancy new GPS with an obstruction database that will be current
for a few years to come. Another option is AnywhereMap, which would
give me WAAS, color, and lots of other features, albeit at a premium,
or---while I'm dreaming---save up for a tablet PC and have the king of
all handheld systems, but I'd need to hold onto my 195 or buy another
handheld to feed it GPS data.

Or, I could start saving for an IFR panel-mount, maybe a used King
89b---I believe the last discussion I heard put the unit plus
installation at around $4500, which is coincidentally about 10x the cost
of the handheld, for a unit similar in speed and function to my old 195
but with a smaller screen. But, I could use it for approaches.

So....

do nothing
net cost: $250 (value of GPS now, dwindling to $100 in 2 years)
upgrade handheld
net cost: $100
sell 195, buy AnywhereMap
net cost: $400
buy tablet, keep GPS
net cost: $2000 or more
panel mount:
net cost: $4500

Am I missing anything?

Old March 2nd 04, 10:28 PM
dlevy

I'm in a similar situation. I have a Lowrance 100 and was debating
purchasing a 196 (to monitor instrument approaches - currently training for
the instrument rating). Here's what I think I'm going to do. I'm going to
buy software and a cable to connect the gps to the palm. I will be able to
have numerical data on the palm and a moving map on the airmap 100.

I already have cheap*******s software so this should be a good compliment.
I'll have weather and two gps screens. I can even check e-mail.

My issue now is can I get instrument approach procedure overlays on the
palm? That would kick ass!

Old March 5th 04, 07:25 PM
Paul Sengupta

Well, maybe not so expensive. When I was in China this week
(just come back from a holiday) I saw a new tablet machine using
a (IIRC) 800MHz processor, 30GB HD and a touch screen.
Came with separate keyboard though with a clip on case to make
it into a PC-looking thing. The screen was 8.5" IIRC.

I was offered one for 8600 yuan. O and A gives this to be $1040.28.

The Chinese literature said GPS on it but I don't think it meant it had
a built in GPS.

And not sure if this would do the job...? With Anywhere Map?
http://www.gotocol.com/viewsonapv110p.html

Paul

Old March 5th 04, 07:28 PM
Paul Sengupta

This is it:

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2003/comp...03/day5/p1.htm

Old March 6th 04, 12:10 AM
Darrel Toepfer

Paul Sengupta wrote:
This is it:

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2003/comp...03/day5/p1.htm

Just saw one of those on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=39 98

They make no mention of an internal GPS receiver. Most of the tablets in
that price range have bigger screens...
Old March 8th 04, 04:33 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Darrel Toepfer" wrote in message
. ..
Paul Sengupta wrote:
This is it:

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2003/comp...03/day5/p1.htm

Just saw one of those on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=39 98

They make no mention of an internal GPS receiver. Most of the tablets in
that price range have bigger screens...

The smaller screen/overall size is what we generally want in the cockpit.
Still too big for the place I wanted to stick it to my panel though.

Paul