Rigging Question

Old September 13th 10, 12:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Fidler[_2_]

Default Rigging Question

My glider requires a small amount of top rudder to keep coordinated in
a left turn. A right turn seems to require the appropriate amount of
right rudder. The glider flies straight and level ok with maybe a
minor amount of right aileron and left rudder. Wing incidence is close
(.1 of a degree) between the right and left with the method I used to
check.

Any wisdom out there which may heve suggestions about what to do next.
18M glider with half span flaps and full ailerons to 6 inchs from tip.
Old September 13th 10, 12:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Fidler[_2_]

On Sep 13, 7:28*am, Guy Byars wrote:
Any wisdom out there which may heve suggestions about what to do next.
18M glider with half span flaps and full ailerons to 6 inchs from tip.

Type of glider?
Age?
Damage history?

Lak 17A
2001
None
Old September 13th 10, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sep 13, 7:02*am, Robert Fidler wrote:
My glider requires a small amount of top rudder to keep coordinated in
a left turn. A right turn seems to require the appropriate amount of
right rudder. The glider flies straight and level ok with maybe a
minor amount of right aileron and left rudder. Wing incidence is close
(.1 of a degree) between the right and left with the method I used to
check.

Any wisdom out there which may heve suggestions about what to do next.
18M glider with half span flaps and full ailerons to 6 inchs from tip.

Sounds like it is out of rig- duh.
First check would be that all control surfaces on the wing are in
correct position- that is even with each other, in the static
condition with the wings loaded to deflection that occurs when in 1 G
flight. Sitck should end up centered also. Check in "0" or wherever
max L/d is and do the same at other commonly used positions. It is
likely something will show up as out of line. If wing incidence is
off, control movements to get straight flight can be expected to be
coordinated.
FWIW- Good luck
UH
Old September 13th 10, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

On Sep 13, 5:11*am, wrote:
[...]

Yep, what Hank said. Set flaps to zero and pull up on flaps and
ailerons (2 people) to remove any slop simulating flying condition
(about 5 # force) All should be even and flap should match fuselage
fairing and aileron should match trailing edge at tip. Next 'tram'
the bird using a steel tape, measure the distance from fin probe to
each wing tip (aileron cut out), measurments should be within a half
inch. If not, add shim to indicated lift fitting. Next make cardboard
template of root rib (wing off ship) then assemble bird and fit
template under left wing and draw a level line, move it to right wing
and check for same level line. If all the above checks out OK, change
pilot!
:) JJ
Old September 13th 10, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Sep 13, 9:49*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:
If all the above checks out OK, change
pilot!
:) JJ

Or: Try "dressing" on the right.

-Evan Ludeman / T8

Old September 14th 10, 06:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgans[_2_]

"Robert Fidler" wrote in message
My glider requires a small amount of top rudder to keep coordinated in
a left turn. A right turn seems to require the appropriate amount of
right rudder. The glider flies straight and level ok with maybe a
minor amount of right aileron and left rudder. Wing incidence is close
(.1 of a degree) between the right and left with the method I used to
check.

Any wisdom out there which may heve suggestions about what to do next.
18M glider with half span flaps and full ailerons to 6 inchs from tip.

Has wing incidence been checked starting at the root, and out towards the
tip, every 2 meters?
--
Jim in NC

Old September 14th 10, 12:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Sep 13, 10:13*pm, "Morgans" wrote:

Has wing incidence been checked starting at the root, and out towards the
tip, every 2 meters?

How would you know what the values were supposed to be? How would you
measure them? What what you do about it if the measured values were
not what you expected?

I'm sure you must know that wing incidence is not adjustable except by
use of coarse abrasives and fillers.

Andy

Old September 14th 10, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Sep 14, 4:56*am, Andy wrote:

I'm sure you must know that wing incidence is not adjustable except by
use of coarse abrasives and fillers.

That's not exactly true. For at least one marque, if your new glider
is really bad the factory will have their local reps install eccentric
bushings or pins at the lift fittings. The result of the eccentrics is
to change the incidence slightly to correct minor incidence
imbalances.

BTW, right now I'm in the middle of making an iron bird fixture
designed to control just this sort of alignment. Pictures on Facebook;
search for "HP-24."

Thanks, Bob K.
Old September 14th 10, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Sep 14, 4:56*am, Andy wrote:
On Sep 13, 10:13*pm, "Morgans" wrote:

Has wing incidence been checked starting at the root, and out towards the
tip, every 2 meters?

How would you know what the values were supposed to be? *How would you
measure them? What what you do about it if the measured values were
not what you expected?

I'm sure you must know that wing incidence is not adjustable except by
use of coarse abrasives and fillers.

Andy

when I built my Russia I had to cut holes in the fuselage for the fwd
and aft lift pin tubes as well as the spar location. in communicating
with the manufacturer I was surprised at the amount of tolerance there
was for setting the incidence..........although they were very adamant
about making sure that I stayed in the fuzzband, and that each wing
had the same incidence.............my Russia flew great and I was very
please that I got it right the first time!

Brad
Old September 14th 10, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Sep 14, 7:46*am, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Sep 14, 4:56*am, Andy wrote:

I'm sure you must know that wing incidence is not adjustable except by use of coarse abrasives and fillers.

That's not exactly true. For at least one marque,

Well ok, but that will apply the same correction to all points on the
span.

Andy

One-man rigging question Mike[_28_] Soaring 14 August 22nd 09 06:17 AM
Ka-6 Rigging vontresc Soaring 19 August 14th 08 04:55 AM
One man rigging Tom Nau Soaring 9 March 27th 08 04:28 PM
Ventus C rigging James Hamilton Soaring 8 July 7th 06 08:30 AM
ski rigging Drew Dalgleish Home Built 3 December 3rd 03 04:16 AM