GAO Report: GA Security Threat

Old November 21st 03, 02:42 AM
Dale Ward

On 19 Nov 2003, you wrote in rec.aviation.ultralight:

You must be too young to remember when the Allies won WWII. Many
Germans and Japanese fought and killed Allied troops long after the
war.

That is simply a bald face lie.

Old November 21st 03, 03:06 AM
Larry Smith

"Dale Ward" wrote in message
.. .
On 19 Nov 2003, you wrote in rec.aviation.ultralight:

You must be too young to remember when the Allies won WWII. Many
Germans and Japanese fought and killed Allied troops long after the
war.

That is simply a bald face lie.

I could have sworn hearing my dad, who was serving in the Philippines at the
end of WWII, telling how some of the Japanese soldiers in the islands
refused to give up and continued to fight, even after the war was over and
Japan had surrendered.

Old November 21st 03, 05:44 AM
C J Campbell

"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote in message
om...
| "C J Campbell" wrote in message
| "Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
| |
| | I can't see much of a difference for the world with Saddam missing (he
| | isn't, really, by the way). I am now absolutely certain - as most news
| | watchers - that Saddam didn't pose nearly the threat that some were
led
| | to believe. There are no WMD, period.
| |

| Saddam's own military commanders all believed that Saddam had WMD. They
have
| told investigators that they still believe it.
|
| I'm only aware of one such person and he made claims about nuclear
| weapons which made it clear that he actually knew nothing about them.

Well, I heard it on NPR.

Old November 21st 03, 06:50 AM
Montblack

("Robert Perkins" wrote)
They just didn't study it. History began with the formation of the
BRD, there was a 17 year gap, anything before that was like studying
pre-Civil War days in the U.S., that is to say, cursory.

We live in the "obscure president street names" area of town - Buchanan,
Van Buren, Pierce, Tyler, Quincy, Monroe, Polk, Fillmore, Taylor. The
nieces have lived around here for 17 years - they didn't know the
streets were named for Presidents.

Yes, Tyler is only two blocks over from Taylor. Can you say postal
confusion?

--
Montblack

Old November 21st 03, 06:56 AM
Robert Perkins

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:22:09 -0800, "Holger Stephan"
wrote:

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 22:42:27 +0000, Robert Perkins wrote:
Oh, I'm using the correct terms. My interviewees were two men in their
early 20's, and our conversations, casual peer conversations that they
were, took place in late 1989.

Asking two guys during a "casual peer conversation" what they remember
from their school time is hardly a base to judge a country's school
system. Your report may be truthful, but it's not even worth mentioning.

Thought that particular criticism was about whether I knew what the
names of the types of German schools were. I do, because some Germans
told me what they were.

Why, just two days ago I was in a NetMeeting conversation with a
15-year-old student at a Rheinland-Pfalz Realschule. He explained it
again.

What they learned there I gleaned from their descriptions of the
curriculum, not their recollections of the details of the curriculum.
Stephan, the *whole era* was missing from their study. And it's not
like I didn't converse with other Germans while there. I did: hundreds
to thousands in my time there. (I lost count.)

In Germany, the subject simply never comes up in polite conversation.
The topic of Nazi's is banned in Germany. The norm by now is expected
to be widespread ignorance of that part of their history.

BTW, the one from Berlin doesn't count anyway. Different world there

I have no idea how to respond to that.

Rob

--
[You] don't make your kids P.C.-proof by keeping them
ignorant, you do it by helping them learn how to

-- Orson Scott Card
Old November 21st 03, 06:57 AM
Robert Perkins

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 21:44:15 -0800, "C J Campbell"
wrote:

| I'm only aware of one such person and he made claims about nuclear
| weapons which made it clear that he actually knew nothing about them.

Well, I heard it on NPR.

Why, then it must be true! ;-)

Rob

Old November 21st 03, 08:13 AM
Thomas Borchert

Robert,

Stephan, the *whole era* was missing from their study. And it's not
like I didn't converse with other Germans while there. I did: hundreds
to thousands in my time there. (I lost count.)

In Germany, the subject simply never comes up in polite conversation.
The topic of Nazi's is banned in Germany. The norm by now is expected
to be widespread ignorance of that part of their history.

Man, I live here! You are simply wrong. The subject is discussed on a
regular basis, there are no inhibitions at all. Just last week, a
politician got fired for publicly displaying anti-semitism - and
everybody and his brother discussed the topic.

I can point you to the lesson plans of ANY German federal state - all
will contain extensive lessons in that part of history. If anything,
that part of our history is overtaught - rightly so, I might add.

I don't know which Germany you talk about, but it's not the country I
live in.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 21st 03, 08:13 AM
Thomas Borchert

Ian,

If you were born after about 1935, you don't
know as much as you think you know, having obtained your education in
your country's history following the imposition of laws restricting the
dissemination of information on the NSDAP.

Yeah, right... Time for a reality check, my man.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 21st 03, 08:43 AM
Tom S.

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Robert Perkins" wrote)
They just didn't study it. History began with the formation of the
BRD, there was a 17 year gap, anything before that was like studying
pre-Civil War days in the U.S., that is to say, cursory.

We live in the "obscure president street names" area of town - Buchanan,
Van Buren, Pierce, Tyler, Quincy, Monroe, Polk, Fillmore, Taylor. The
nieces have lived around here for 17 years - they didn't know the
streets were named for Presidents.

Yes, Tyler is only two blocks over from Taylor. Can you say postal
confusion?

Yes, especially for Mr. Taylor, the tailor that has a shop over on Tyler.

Old November 21st 03, 08:43 AM
Holger Stephan

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 06:56:42 +0000, Robert Perkins wrote:

What they learned there I gleaned from their descriptions of the
curriculum, not their recollections of the details of the curriculum.
Stephan, the *whole era* was missing from their study. And it's not like
I didn't converse with other Germans while there. I did: hundreds to
thousands in my time there. (I lost count.)

In Germany, the subject simply never comes up in polite conversation.
The topic of Nazi's is banned in Germany. The norm by now is expected to
be widespread ignorance of that part of their history.

These are pretty sever accusations. I would like to understand better from
where they come from. Do you speak German? How long did you stay in
Germany? Are you competent in the matters of eduction and school
curriculum? I sense a somewhat educated person behind what you write, but
am at a total loss as to understand how you came to your findings.

I went to school in Germany. My father taught history in German schools. I
can assure you the time between 1933 and 1945 is taught, including the
Holocaust. There were the history classes in which we went through the
chronology of political events in detail and I heard it twice (maybe
because I changed state and school). Then book reviews in the literature
classes. Read Peter Bamm's battle field reports as a 15 year old. It will
create pictures in your head that will stay with you for life. They've
shown us documentary films with caterpillars shoveling skinny corpses into
mass graves. Extremities moving one last time as if they might still have
life in them. View that as teenager without preparation of daily violence
on TV and you'll be thrown in a depression. Yes, they did tell us before
it would be tough and we could elect to leave the class room. But if you
didn't and also happened to have read Anne Frank's diary before seeing
this it will be more than you thought you could take that day.

I wished Thomas Borchert, as a German, would have voiced his political
position a bit more diplomatically in a predominantly American forum. You
won't understand him, and Germany's politics regarding Iraq neither.
But the German people has been exposed to the horrors of war not that long
ago. It happened right where they live and that, together with the
incomprehensible guilt on the German nation has turned the people into
pacifists. This has everything to do with the ugly face of war and little
with the relationship between Germany and the United States and their
people.

- Holger

PS: I felt oblighted to respond, but don't like cross posting and would
like to leave it at this, for the groups I don't visit.