1st passenger and in-ear headsets

Old August 14th 05, 01:02 AM
Jase Vanover

Default 1st passenger and in-ear headsets

A week after earning my license, I took my wife up for an hour flight today.
She has put up with the process of me spending 8 months earning the license,
so I wanted to "treat" her by being my first passenger.

No big details to add, other than the flight was great. Relatively strong
wind, 20 degrees or so off the runway center line, causing me some stress on
the landing... unfounded. Was as gentle a landing as can be done... duly
impressing my wife though I doubt she understood the complexities of a
crosswind landing.

The only downside was that the headset I rented for her caused some
problems. Yeah... it was a crappy headset to start with, but the weight and
clamping of it caused her discomfort enough that I don't think getting a
quality headset would really help. Her sunglasses were admittedly a poor
match for wearing a headset, but nonetheless, I don't think she'll put up
with a traditional design.

I went searching for solutions, and am considering getting her a Lightspeed
L1, Lightspeed Mach 1, or Clarity Aloft. These are all "in ear" headsets,
so don't have the weight or clamping pressure associated with "traditional"
headsets. I am optimistic this will serve her needs much better.

It is very important to me to ensure that she has as enjoyable an experience
while flying as possible. I want to fly, and if she doesn't, it will
obviously make things more difficult.

Does anyone have any experience with these in-ear headsets? Any advice or
tips for me?

The good news is that despite the headset problems, she LOVED the flight.
We flew low and slow... saw some sights, kept it short and made a picture
perfect landing. I'm sure I earned some brownie points that will make it
easier for upcoming purchases (see my next post a GPS unit) and I think
I have her talked into an x-country touring flight... yet to be planned.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Jase.

Old August 14th 05, 10:14 AM
Chris Schmelzer

In article ,
"Jase Vanover" wrote:

[...]

You just need to try the in ear ones...I didn't like them at the EAA,
and even the lead audio engineer for lightspeed admitted that, for very
noisy aircraft (like 152, 172s) that ANR headsets were really still
better overall.

The in ear ones are WAY overpriced from how they feel and I wasn't all
that impressed with the lightspeed mach 1. The clarity aloft felt a bit
more substantial, but not by much.

The Bose Aviation X on the other side.....

--
Chris Schmelzer, MD
Capt, 110th Fighter Michigan ANG
Old August 14th 05, 06:00 PM
ET

Chris Schmelzer wrote in
:

In article ,
"Jase Vanover" wrote:

[...]

I tried all three of the in the ear headsets at Osh. The lightspeed was
by far the worst of the bunch. The Clarity aloft was impressive, but I
was even more impressed by some "home-made" in the ear headsets around
the corner and behind the lightspeed booth. This is a guy who is an
audioligist making these things in his basement with real hearing aid
quality speakers. A good friend of mine bought a pair, they are about
60% of the cost of the lightspeeds. His site is:
http://www.quiettechnologies.com/ (cheaper too)

--
-- ET :-)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams
Old August 14th 05, 06:41 PM
Thomas Borchert

Et,

The lightspeed was
by far the worst of the bunch.

In what respect?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 14th 05, 09:47 PM
ET

Thomas Borchert wrote in
:

Et,

The lightspeed was
by far the worst of the bunch.

In what respect?

didn't fit my ear well, seemed to just "hang there" just seemed flimsy &
the clarity of conversation was just not quite up to either the Clarity or
the quiet technologies set. At the time anyway, the lightspeed didn't
allow independent adjustment of left and right ears. I did like the style
and "fit" of the Clarity ear hooks & wrap around the back of my head it
had very decent sound quality as well. But the taking price and sound
quality into account, the quiet technologies headset was the best overall
of the bunch.

Old August 14th 05, 10:04 PM
Ken Reed

The in ear ones are WAY overpriced from how they feel and I wasn't all
that impressed with the lightspeed mach 1. The clarity aloft felt a
bit more substantial, but not by much.

The Bose Aviation X on the other side.....

I tried all three of the in the ear headsets at Osh. The lightspeed was
by far the worst of the bunch. The Clarity aloft was impressive, but I
was even more impressed by some "home-made" in the ear headsets around
the corner and behind the lightspeed booth. This is a guy who is an
audioligist making these things in his basement with real hearing aid
quality speakers. A good friend of mine bought a pair, they are about
60% of the cost of the lightspeeds. His site is:
http://www.quiettechnologies.com/ (cheaper too)

I've had a set of Quiet Technologies for a couple of years. They aren't
as quiet as ANR but are much better than a regular headset without ANR.
The foam also got distorted and didn't seal well in high heat. Once over
110ºF, they didn't fit very well or for very long.

Like everything in aviation, they are a compromise. They are light
weight and comfortable and reasonably quiet, though.
---
Ken Reed
http://www.dentalzzz.com/mooney.htm
Old August 15th 05, 04:40 AM
Morgans

"Ken Reed" wrote

I've had a set of Quiet Technologies for a couple of years. They aren't
as quiet as ANR but are much better than a regular headset without ANR.
The foam also got distorted and didn't seal well in high heat. Once over
110ºF, they didn't fit very well or for very long.

Like everything in aviation, they are a compromise. They are light
weight and comfortable and reasonably quiet, though.

Have you tried the optional triple flange silicone tips? I have found these
are the only type of ear plugs I can stand to wear for any extended period
of time. They also block sound better than foam earplugs.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 15th 05, 05:35 AM
Jay Honeck

The good news is that despite the headset problems, she LOVED the flight.
We flew low and slow... saw some sights, kept it short and made a picture
perfect landing.

Way to go, Jase!

It was a bit over ten years ago that I took my wife up for her first flight,
which resulted in exactly the outcome you are hoping for. Mary has since
gone on to get her ticket (she just ticked off her 500th hour earlier this
summer), and we fly all over the country with our two kids in our Piper
Pathfinder.

I hope your next decade is as fabulous as my last ten years have been!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 16th 05, 03:01 AM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

I also have a wife who can't take clamping force and weight on the head.

Bought the Lightspeed L1 and she is getting used to it.

Pirep: It does not bend very easily, i.e.. the mike boom won't bend and
when you try, it just pulls the headband-like wire out of your ear. We also
tried different (included) ear pieces until she found the one that works for
her. She now uses the L1 exclusively and gave up the panel mounted (read
$1000) Bode X. FWIW.

Try before you buy &/or get a money back guarantee. I believe Lightspeed
does, although I have yet to return one. (They do have great support.)

--

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

ps: Congrats on the license to learn.

"Ken Reed" wrote