UK Gliding schools

Old December 16th 05, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default UK Gliding schools

Can anyone tell me where I can do an "intensive" gliding course in the UK?
I'm not quite solo, but since changing jobs I cannot get the time for the
"final push" to solo - the majority of my time in the air has been during
weekdays, sadly no longer an option.

If I can get an intensive week of flying, I'm sure I'd be solo at the end of
it (and so is my instructor....)

I'm based in the south-east. My club isn't open all week, and the facility
doesn't really exist for booked sessions - it's a "turn up and put your name
on the list" club; I like this, but it means I can (and have) stand around
/ run launch point for hours to get a 10 minute flight.

I'd prefer residential, although if the club is close to home then obviously
it won't be necessary. I like the club I'm with, so this would have to be on
a temporary membership for the duration. I just need the time in the air
and get the solo badge!

I'm experienced in winch launching in a K-13; any club that can offer the
same or similar would obviously be the best option.

Any ideas?

Old December 16th 05, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Trevor Bailey wrote:
Can anyone tell me where I can do an "intensive" gliding course in the UK?

Hi Trevor,

I would imagine that most slightly bigger clubs offer intensive courses
- thinking of clubs in the South East: have you tried Lasham? Parham,
Dunstable, Booker might also do courses.

I am pretty sure Shenington (Edgehill) near Banbury (Oxfordshire) offer
courses.

If you want lovely scenery while on your course, why not try something
like Sutton Bank, Nympsfield, the Long Mynd, and turn it into a week's
gliding holiday with accommodation in the bunk house?

If you browse through the club directory on www.gliding.co.uk you should
find quite a few clubs that can get you to solo in an intensive course.
The ones above are only a tiny selection I guess...

Hope this helps

Claudia

(I fly at Weston-on-the-Green, we can't offer courses as we only do
weekend and bank holiday flying and haven't got any paid staff.)

Old December 17th 05, 12:42 AM
bagmaker bagmaker is offline
Senior Member

Location: Melbourne Australia

The Australian Dollar is cheap, its summer, you will be solo in a week. There are a couple of excellent commercial operations both here and in NZ that will accomadate you, do the homework and the math regarding an exchange rate.
Take the missus, it will be a win-win.
Old December 18th 05, 11:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 21:09:04 UTC, "Trevor Bailey"
wrote:

: Can anyone tell me where I can do an "intensive" gliding course in the UK?

Lots of places offer them. From personal experience, I'd recommend
Portmoak, Sutton Bank and Long Mynd. From what other people have told
me, I'd recommend Lasham.

Ian

Old December 18th 05, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Truly intensive gliding courses don't exist in the UK. The culture of the
gliding movement as you seem to have guessed results in huge inefficiencies
and huge waiting times. The counterbalance is that it is cheap.

I suggest calling or visiting clubs of your choice and trying to rent a two
seater for a week for your sole use with an instructor and pay him well.
Keep trying and you will get what you deserve.

Good luck.

Old December 18th 05, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 21:09:04 GMT, Trevor Bailey wrote:
Can anyone tell me where I can do an "intensive" gliding course in the UK?

[....]
I'm experienced in winch launching in a K-13; any club that can offer the
same or similar would obviously be the best option.

http://www.shenington-gliding.co.uk/courses.htm
I tried it and loved it, will go there again.

Bartek
Old December 19th 05, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Not so - we offer intensive courses at Dunstable during the soaring season.
A particular attraction of these is that they are usually instructed by John
Jeffries.

Dave

"William Jones" wrote in
message ...

Old December 20th 05, 09:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Trevor,

I fly at Shenington GC and am delighted to see the

We do indeed offer 'tailored' intensive courses (as
do some other clubs). We provide a 2:1 student/instructor
ratio, and aim to achieve 40 flights per student in
a weeks course (i.e. 8 flights per day average), weather
permitting (see website for more details).

We use 3 x K.13s, plus a Twin Astir for glass conversion
and X/C flying training and an SLMG also available,
plus single seaters... and have a bunkhouse if you
want to stay on site.

Contact details are -

SGC Office Email:

http://www.shenington-gliding.co.uk/index_usual.htm

http://www.shenington-gliding.co.uk/courses.htm

http://www.shenington-gliding.co.uk/

I'm sure you won't be dissapointed if you choose to
come on a course at Shenington.

Hope to see you soon.

Fly Safely,
Have Fun.

Ian.

Old January 3rd 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

At 21:12 16 December 2005, Trevor Bailey wrote:
[...]

Lasham offers a good choice. It offers a a full summer
of ab- initio courses plus solo to bronze, bronze to
silver, cross country and competition prep courses.
Instructors include ex world champions and british
team coaches. They also offer you the opportunity to
hire a glider and instructor by the day to do whatever
you want. This might be circuit bashing in a K13, aerobatics
in a DG1000 or cross country in a Duo Discus.

Since they have 13 x 2 seaters, two winches and 5 tugs
you should never be short of flying.

Accomodation is available on site in a clean bunk room
or a selection of pubs and hotels in close proximity.

See www.lasham.org.uk for further details or give
them a ring and speak to Gordon the CFI

Nigel

Old January 3rd 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Can I add that Lasham does pretty good 5 day (Mon -
Fri) holiday courses and 2 day weekend courses. Normally
the student to instructor ratio is at most 3:1. These
are generally aimed at ab-initios, but can also cope
with slightly more experienced pilots.

Derek Copeland