Fuel line thread sealant

Old February 22nd 04, 08:31 AM
Paul Lee

Default Fuel line thread sealant

What works best for fuel line thread sealant.
Teflon, RTV-silicone?
Old February 22nd 04, 09:26 AM
Richard Riley

On 22 Feb 2004 00:31:39 -0800, (Paul Lee)
wrote:

:What works best for fuel line thread sealant.
:Teflon, RTV-silicone?

Either Fuelube or EZ turn
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ezturnlube.php

Teflon tape and RTV are very bad in a fuel syste. Teflon tape, if it
is wrapped beyond the threads, can tear off and clog the system. RTV
swells and becomes very soft when exposed to fuel or oil.
Old February 22nd 04, 06:38 PM
Cy Galley

NEVER EVER use Teflon tape. regular Pipe dope with Teflon powder works well
but the very best is Loctite PST.

--
Cy Galley, TC - Chair, Emergency Aircraft Repair, Oshkosh
Editor, EAA Safety Programs

Always looking for articles for Sport Pilot

om...

Old February 22nd 04, 07:37 PM
Paul Lee

Just found "TFE Pipe Thread Sealant w/Teflon" that claims to
be good for all threads, fuels, wide range of temperatures.

Anybody tried that?

Old February 23rd 04, 01:09 AM
Paul Lee

Cy,

Just looked up Loctite PST and it says "Not recommended for use on
plastic piping". For example I have a plastic fuel level sensor going
into aluminum
tank hole piece embeded in epoxy. It seems that the "TFE Pipe Thread
Sealant
w/Teflon" fits the bill better on that one.

"Cy Galley" wrote in message news:sG6_b.381795$na.571587@attbi_s04...
NEVER EVER use Teflon tape. regular Pipe dope with Teflon powder works well
but the very best is Loctite PST.

--
Cy Galley, TC - Chair, Emergency Aircraft Repair, Oshkosh
Editor, EAA Safety Programs
or

Always looking for articles for Sport Pilot

om...

Old February 23rd 04, 02:01 AM
Cy Galley

Good catch. I just don't like plastic for fuel or brake lines. I
understand wanting to use a clear plastic tube for a gage but with all the
aromatics they put in car and Avgas, plastic may not hold up. We had an new
RV-4 with plastic brake lines at Oshkosh that melted a hole in his plastic
brake due to the long taxi distance at Oshkosh. Fortunately there wasn't
much wind that day.

om...

"Cy Galley" wrote in message

NEVER EVER use Teflon tape. regular Pipe dope with Teflon powder works

well
but the very best is Loctite PST.

--
Cy Galley, TC - Chair, Emergency Aircraft Repair, Oshkosh
Editor, EAA Safety Programs
or

Always looking for articles for Sport Pilot

om...

Old February 23rd 04, 02:25 AM
optics student

I imaging ProSeal would work will, but you would only need to mix up a tiny
amount. How about TiteSeal? You can
get it from Aircraft Spruce and it does not harden with age.
om...

Old February 26th 04, 12:44 AM
Dan Thomas

Somebody mentioned FueLube, and that's what should be used. A workable
alternative is the old Aviation Form-A-Gasket, in the nonhardening
form, made by Permatex now. Silicones of any sort, or Teflon tapes,
are OUT.
Most guys are way too worried about fuel leaks. We're talking about
almost negligible pressure here, even in a pump system, and sealants
like FueLube will easily prevent leaking. In a past life I ran an air
brake rebuilding shop, and was forever getting back valves and
compressors with split pipe ports caused by beefy mechanics torquing
up the NPT fittings "just to make sure it don't leak." I found that
with a bit of sealant, the fitting wouldn't leak when little more than
finger-tight. This was with pressures ranging from 15 psi (coolant
systems) to 150 psi ( high-end air brakes). Even 1200 psi hydraulics
didn't need much tightening. Tight enough to prevent its shaking out
is enough, and vast amounts of goopy, dangerous sealants are totally
unnecessary.

Dan

Airplane Parts on Ebay Vac Reg Valves, Fuel Floats, O-200 Spider, Fuel Injection Valve Bill Berle Home Built 0 January 26th 04 07:48 AM
Yo! Fuel Tank! Veeduber Home Built 15 October 25th 03 02:57 AM
CAD outline of Rans S6S instrument panel? Rob Turk Home Built 2 October 21st 03 09:27 PM
Pumping fuel backwards through an electric fuel pump Greg Reid Home Built 15 October 7th 03 07:09 PM
Hot weather and autogas? Rich S. Home Built 33 July 30th 03 11:25 PM