audio panel/impedance mismatch question

Old June 22nd 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default audio panel/impedance mismatch question

dlevy wrote:

I went to Radio Shack and asked for a "audio transformer" 8/1000 ohm's. He,
along with me, had no clue.

Can someone please provide some more information on this black box item for
me?

The problem with Radio Shack is that those guys worked at Burger King the
previous week.

http://tinyurl.com/g9qwu

There's the item and the part number. You need two of these and a project
box (or a small pill bottle).

Do you have the instructions on how to build this?

--
Peter
Old June 22nd 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 13:18:49 -0600, "dlevy" wrote:

The background music is too low on the intercom so I'm trying to build a
cable to address the "impedance mismatch". This have been discussed and
fixed many times over here but I'm special so please bear with me.

I went to Radio Shack and asked for a "audio transformer" 8/1000 ohm's. He,
along with me, had no clue.

Can someone please provide some more information on this black box item for
me?

Thanks!

http://tinyurl.com/fbn5r

Don

Old June 22nd 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In article ,
"Peter R." wrote:

There's the item and the part number. You need two of these and a project
box (or a small pill bottle).

One per audio channel?

Old June 23rd 06, 08:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Dlevy,

here you go, courtesy of Dave Katz way back:

If you have any
soldering skills, pick up a couple of 8/1000 ohm matching transformers
and a male/male mini-plug cable from Radio Shack. It's a minor
impedance mismatch problem. I put one together for my Cirrus and it
boosts volume by more than enough, and it's completely passive so
there's no batteries or other stuff. One of my fellow Cirrus brethren
came up with a great packaging hack--a small prescription pill bottle
is big enough to hold everything. Drill a hole in the bottom and in
the lid, tie knots for strain relief, and it's all quite tidy, if a
mite funny looking.

Yep, one for each side if you want stereo. The low impedance side
(red/white) goes to the audio device, and the high impedance side
(green/blue) goes to the Garmin. You can snip off the black center
tap on the high side. I hooked the white and green leads to the
common (sleeve) connections on each side, but I don't suppose that
it matters so long as you're consistent (so you don't phase-reverse
one side.)

They were the only transformers for sale at the Radio Shack at which I
got mine. They may just be called "audio transformers" or somesuch,
but
it'll say 8 ohm/1000 ohm on the packaging.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old June 23rd 06, 08:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

John,

One per audio channel?

Yes.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old June 23rd 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Dlevy,

Thanks Mr. Borchert!

You're welcome. My work was only the collecting and keeping...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old June 24th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

dlevy wrote:

Thanks Mr. Borchert!

I just built this cable two weeks ago and I can attest to the accuracy of
the instructions that Tom posted and the improved results with interfacing
an audio device with the panel. You will not be disappointed.

--
Peter