Grob wing retainer bearings

Old September 1st 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim[_1_]

Default Grob wing retainer bearings

The aft wing locks on my Grob G102 are just about at their limits and it
looks like I will be installing oversize bearings to correct this. Does
anyone have experience doing this and if so, how difficult of a job is it?

Tim

Old September 2nd 06, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

Tim wrote:
The aft wing locks on my Grob G102 are just about at their limits and it
looks like I will be installing oversize bearings to correct this. Does
anyone have experience doing this and if so, how difficult of a job is it?

Tim

Hey Tim,

I'm kinda hazy on the details since it's been over 10 years since I
sold my Astir, but IIRC, there was another adjustment that didn't
require such drastic measures. The drag spar engages into the locking
collar through an adjustable sleeve. This sleeve is threaded and
allows you to essentially shim the wing out. At least, that's how I
remember it.

I'm assuming you've already looked through the maintenance manual...

Regards,
Erik Mann
LS8-18 P3

Old September 2nd 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

Papa3 wrote:
Tim wrote:
The aft wing locks on my Grob G102 are just about at their limits and it
looks like I will be installing oversize bearings to correct this. Does
anyone have experience doing this and if so, how difficult of a job is it?

Tim

Hey Tim,

I'm kinda hazy on the details since it's been over 10 years since I
sold my Astir, but IIRC, there was another adjustment that didn't
require such drastic measures. The drag spar engages into the locking
collar through an adjustable sleeve. This sleeve is threaded and
allows you to essentially shim the wing out. At least, that's how I
remember it.

I'm assuming you've already looked through the maintenance manual...

Regards,
Erik Mann
LS8-18 P3

So, I found a copy of the maintenance manual online, and it's
essentially useless on this topic. Assuming you're in the US, a call
to Grob in Blufton, Ohio is probably worth it. Again, I do remember
there was another solution involving the carry-through, but without
having one in front of me to look at, I can't recall the details.

P3

Old September 3rd 06, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
P. Corbett

Tim wrote:
The aft wing locks on my Grob G102 are just about at their limits and it
looks like I will be installing oversize bearings to correct this. Does
anyone have experience doing this and if so, how difficult of a job is it?

Tim

Tim

While not on a Grob 102, I once helped with the removal of play on a
Grob 103 wing. The fix involved ordering a kit of ball bearing-like
pieces.The kit included a variety of diameters and you select the
diameter that removes the play. I also recall that the bearings came
from a US supplier.

Paul