FAA safety notice on ground ops/TO

Old September 6th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Default FAA safety notice on ground ops/TO

FAA Safety sent an email alert but the link to download the
PDF file was not complete, at least in my email program only
the last part of the link was detected. The http --.gov
stuff was not detected. Below is the text of the PDF file,
which can be downloaded from

http://www.faasafety.gov/SPANS/event...SAFO_06013.pdf

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

Approved by AFS-200 Page 1

SAFO

Safety Alert for Operators

U.S. Department SAFO 06013

of Transportation DATE: 9/1/06

Federal Aviation

Administration Flight Standards Service

Washington, DC

http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviat...ne_safety/safo

A SAFO contains important safety information and may include
recommended action. SAFO content should be

especially valuable to air carriers in meeting their
statutory duty to provide service with the highest possible
degree

of safety in the public interest.

Subject: Flight crew techniques and procedures that enhance
pre-takeoff and takeoff safety

Purpose: To provide techniques, procedures and items for
consideration in training programs

that emphasize safe operations in the pre-takeoff and
takeoff phases of flight.

Background: The recent tragic accident of a commuter jet
taking off from the wrong runway

brings into sharp focus the importance of maintaining
situational awareness and adherence to

crew resource management procedures. It is important to note
that many airports are involved in

construction activities that result in changing
environments. This heightens the importance of

pilot vigilance.

There are many other factors that can distract a pilot and
cause the loss of situational awareness.

Even subtle distractions could demand a share of the pilot's
workload, such as dealing with

company procedures, passengers, running late and even
personal issues.

It is imperative that flight crews maintain the highest
levels of airmanship discipline and crew

resource management. This is especially significant during
the critical phases of flight, takeoff

and landing. In this vein, this SAFO provides the following
reminders:

Reminders of Existing FAA Aircraft Ground Operation
Guidance:

.. As part of preflight planning review airport layouts and
know airport signage

.. Review Notices to Airmen (NOTAMs) for information on
runway/taxiway closures and

construction areas

.. During taxi operations have a current airport diagram
readily available for reference and

check the assigned taxi route against the diagram, paying
special attention to any unique

or complex intersections

.. Write down complex taxi instructions. When unsure of the
taxi route request progressive

taxi instructions from ATC

.. If the flight has more than one crewmember, it is
important that both fully understand taxi

clearances and runway assignments

.. During taxi operations the pilots' maximum attention
should be placed upon maintaining

situational awareness. The pilot taxiing should have his
attention focused outside the

aircraft at all times while the other pilot should monitor
the taxi progress by reference

with the airport diagram and give guidance to the taxiing
pilot.

Approved by AFS-200 Page 2

.. Apply crew resource management procedures to:

o Identify and resolve conflicting perceptions of ATC
instructions

o Confirm, by using the challenge and response technique,
proper execution of

ATC instructions

o Confirm, using the challenge and response technique, that
the aircraft is actually

positioned on the assigned runway by reference to the
heading indicator

.. Use all available resources to ensure the aircraft is
positioned on the proper runway. One

technique for airplanes that are FMS-equipped is to verbally
announce that the proper

runway and departure procedure are selected in the FMS and
that the aircraft heading

agrees with the assigned runway for takeoff.

This SAFO is to remind you that the following references
contain excellent information for

aircraft ground operations:

AC-120-74A, Parts 91, 121, 125 and 135 Flight Crew
Procedures During Taxi

Operations

AC120-71A, Standard Operating Procedures for Flight Deck
Crewmembers

AC 120-51E Crew Resource Management Training

FAA Order 8430.17, Change 5, Paragraph 974 "Crewmember
Procedures and

Responsibilities During Ground Operations In All Weather
Conditions"

FAA Takeoff Safety Training Aid, Pilot Guide to Takeoff
Safety, available through the

National Technical Information Service.

Recommended action: Directors of safety, directors of
operations, trainers, and pilots of

transport category airplanes should be familiar with the
content of this SAFO. They should work

together to ensure that the content of this SAFO is provided
to pilots during ground training, and

is reinforced in flight training, supervised operating
experience, line checks and proficiency

checks.

Old September 6th 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Jim Macklin wrote:
FAA Safety sent an email alert but the link to download the
PDF file was not complete, at least in my email program only
the last part of the link was detected. The http --.gov
stuff was not detected. Below is the text of the PDF file,
which can be downloaded from

http://www.faasafety.gov/SPANS/event...SAFO_06013.pdf

That's weird, same thing happened on my work email.

The one thing that jumped out at me was requesting progressive
taxi...I'm forever explaining to students that it's OK to do that.
Old September 6th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

For some reason the webmaster on the FAA SPANS site isn't
properly coding the link so it is detected as a link. I
sent them an email saying that just putting the link inside
makes it work properly. They do have the links properly
set on the footer for contacting the webmaster etc. So
likely, some person is sending these email alerts without
really knowing how to code HTML or XML.

I had to fiddle a little to get a link to copy, it wouldn't
copy from the email directly, I looked at the properties and
message source and copied it from there. I also forwarded
it to myself with the and that worked.

Old September 6th 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan[_1_]

Interesting document, but I don't find anything that is particularly
enlightening. Everything listed there is also expected in the private
pilot PTS.

Old September 6th 06, 05:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
Interesting document, but I don't find anything that is particularly
enlightening. Everything listed there is also expected in the private
pilot PTS.

Problem is, too many pilots forget the PTS as soon as they get their
certificate. It's always good to have a little reminding.
Old September 6th 06, 05:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Yep, it is basic. But failing to do the basics is the root
cause of many accidents.

ups.com...

Old September 7th 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Emily wrote:
Jim Macklin wrote:

That's weird, same thing happened on my work email.

The one thing that jumped out at me was requesting progressive
taxi...I'm forever explaining to students that it's OK to do that.

I often ask but rarely get them. Usually you get something like "just
take alpha to bravo". I could have gotten that from the taxi clearance.
I was expecting something like, "continue taxing until you pass the
citation, then turn right...".

-Robert

Old September 7th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Robert M. Gary wrote:
Emily wrote:
Jim Macklin wrote:

That's weird, same thing happened on my work email.

The one thing that jumped out at me was requesting progressive
taxi...I'm forever explaining to students that it's OK to do that.

I often ask but rarely get them. Usually you get something like "just
take alpha to bravo". I could have gotten that from the taxi clearance.
I was expecting something like, "continue taxing until you pass the
citation, then turn right...".

-Robert

I can't remember if it was SDF or LEX, but I got so hopelessly turned
around one night (was raining and dark and foggy) that I'm surprised I'm
not still driving around. Asked for progressive, and got exactly what
you described....so I kept hounding ground until I got what I was
looking for. Only time I've ever requested it, but I'm glad I did.

(the really funny thing was, it wasn't the first time I'd been to
whatever airport I was at and I had the diagram in my lap...it was just
one of those days)
Old September 7th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

I often ask but rarely get them. Usually you get something like "just
take alpha to bravo". I could have gotten that from the taxi clearance.

Tell them you are unfamiliar and would appreciate an extra eye.

Jose
--
There are more ways to skin a cat than there are cats.