Empty weight of Grob Astir CS

Old September 29th 10, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mike maskell

Default Empty weight of Grob Astir CS

I have just done a weight and balance on our Club's Grob Astir CS and
after computing the empty weight and C of G we find that the max pilot
weight is 210 pounds (no chute, no batteries). The empty weight is 626
pounds which seems quite high. The glider POH states that the empty
weight is 560 pounds. Could this be the shipped weight from the
factory minus instruments, radio etc?

Does anyone else fly a CS and if so what do your numbers compare at?

Thanks

Mike
Old September 29th 10, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

On Sep 28, 7:03*pm, mike maskell wrote:
I have just done a weight and balance on our Club's Grob Astir CS and
after computing the empty weight and C of G we find that the max pilot
weight is 210 pounds (no chute, no batteries). The empty weight is 626
pounds which seems quite high. * The glider POH states that the empty
weight is 560 pounds. *Could this be the shipped weight from the
factory minus instruments, radio etc?

Does anyone else fly a CS and if so what do your numbers compare at?

Thanks

Mike

That seems about right. My Speed Astir II weighs 630 lbs, but the POH
says something like 550. I think Gary Boggs has one also, you might
want to try to contact him directly, and there's also a Grob
Sailplanes Yahoo group you can join (althought there's not much action
there!)
Old September 29th 10, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sep 28, 8:03*pm, mike maskell wrote:
. The empty weight is 626
pounds which seems quite high. * The glider POH states that the empty
weight is 560 pounds. *Could this be the shipped weight from the
factory minus instruments, radio etc?

Does anyone else fly a CS and if so what do your numbers compare at?

Mike,

I owned an Astir CS and have done weight and balance on several
others. Your empty weight loks about right.
EW for two that I weighed: 631.5 lbs and 628.75 lbs. These weights are
fully equipped, batteries, oxygen and instruments, no parachute.
Weight wise it looks like your 102 is typical

Grob builds heavy gliders. I have never found a G-102 to be within the
empty weight chart in the POH.

Robert J. Mudd
Composite Aircraft Repair
Moriarty, NM USA

Grob 102 Astir CS Canopy GARY BOGGS CFIG Soaring 1 October 3rd 09 06:49 PM
Grob 102 Astir Std III [email protected] Soaring 0 May 30th 07 09:27 PM
FS - Grob Speed Astir IIB Fred Soaring 3 February 18th 06 03:22 PM
FS - Grob Speed Astir IIB Steve Leonard Soaring 0 February 17th 06 03:42 AM
Empty/Gross weight Vs. Max. Pilot weight Flyhighdave Soaring 13 January 14th 04 04:20 AM