WGC landouts

Old August 11th 12, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Default WGC landouts

It looks as if there may have been as many as 18 land outs today. Thunderstorms near the finish cylinder.
Old August 11th 12, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Friday, August 10, 2012 9:02:22 PM UTC-5, Bill D wrote:
It looks as if there may have been as many as 18 land outs today. Thunderstorms near the finish cylinder.

there weren't thunderstorms near the finish cylinder there were lots of thunderstorms to be dealt with on task though which slowed people down and made for a long day. The task setters put the finish ring at 15 km and 3000MSL in case of thunderstorm influence to allow for a "safety finish" of sorts. Outflow from storms north of Uvalde did influence the last leg with some outflow to the south however the last glider i saw land was after 8 PM, pretty close to sunset actually.
Old August 11th 12, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Friday, August 10, 2012 9:15:27 PM UTC-6, Tony wrote:
On Friday, August 10, 2012 9:02:22 PM UTC-5, Bill D wrote:

It looks as if there may have been as many as 18 land outs today. Thunderstorms near the finish cylinder.

there weren't thunderstorms near the finish cylinder there were lots of thunderstorms to be dealt with on task though which slowed people down and made for a long day. The task setters put the finish ring at 15 km and 3000MSL in case of thunderstorm influence to allow for a "safety finish" of sorts. Outflow from storms north of Uvalde did influence the last leg with some outflow to the south however the last glider i saw land was after 8 PM, pretty close to sunset actually.

When ZL doesn't finish, there are real impediments.
Old August 11th 12, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Friday, August 10, 2012 10:30:56 PM UTC-5, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Friday, August 10, 2012 9:15:27 PM UTC-6, Tony wrote:

On Friday, August 10, 2012 9:02:22 PM UTC-5, Bill D wrote:

It looks as if there may have been as many as 18 land outs today. Thunderstorms near the finish cylinder.

there weren't thunderstorms near the finish cylinder there were lots of thunderstorms to be dealt with on task though which slowed people down and made for a long day. The task setters put the finish ring at 15 km and 3000MSL in case of thunderstorm influence to allow for a "safety finish" of sorts. Outflow from storms north of Uvalde did influence the last leg with some outflow to the south however the last glider i saw land was after 8 PM, pretty close to sunset actually.

When ZL doesn't finish, there are real impediments.

yea we were bummed to hear that, and also very happy to see A8 (John Seaborn) in 3rd place! So it was an up and down day for our 15 meter guys but tomorrow is another day.

There were literally gliders landing right up to official sunset today and none of us had any idea what was keeping them in the air. Before you assume that they were all open class guys with sustainers or self-launchers, one of the last ones was a Diana 2...
Old August 11th 12, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

On Friday, August 10, 2012 9:56:02 PM UTC-6, Tony wrote:
[...]

If I'm reading the score sheet right, there may have been 30 landouts and a few yet to be heard from.
Old August 11th 12, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Friday, August 10, 2012 11:05:04 PM UTC-5, Bill D wrote:
[...]

all of the scored landouts in open class are from pilots with engines, so they all made it back to Uvalde.
Old August 11th 12, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Friday, 10 August 2012 23:17:02 UTC-5, Tony wrote:
[...]

Not quite true Tony. One open class glider landed at an airport and is spending the night and will fly back Saturday morning. Could not make it back before sunset.
Old August 11th 12, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, August 11, 2012 12:05:04 AM UTC-4, Bill D wrote:
On Friday, August 10, 2012 9:56:02 PM UTC-6, Tony wrote: On Friday, August 10, 2012 10:30:56 PM UTC-5, Frank Whiteley wrote: On Friday, August 10, 2012 9:15:27 PM UTC-6, Tony wrote: On Friday, August 10, 2012 9:02:22 PM UTC-5, Bill D wrote: It looks as if there may have been as many as 18 land outs today. Thunderstorms near the finish cylinder. there weren't thunderstorms near the finish cylinder there were lots of thunderstorms to be dealt with on task though which slowed people down and made for a long day. The task setters put the finish ring at 15 km and 3000MSL in case of thunderstorm influence to allow for a "safety finish" of sorts. Outflow from storms north of Uvalde did influence the last leg with some outflow to the south however the last glider i saw land was after 8 PM, pretty close to sunset actually. When ZL doesn't finish, there are real impediments. yea we were bummed to hear that, and also very happy to see A8 (John Seaborn) in 3rd place! So it was an up and down day for our 15 meter guys but tomorrow is another day. There were literally gliders landing right up to official sunset today and none of us had any idea what was keeping them in the air. Before you assume that they were all open class guys with sustainers or self-launchers, one of the last ones was a Diana 2... If I'm reading the score sheet right, there may have been 30 landouts and a few yet to be heard from.

Several of those shown with distance points landed back at Uvalde cutting the course short.
Tough day for all
FWIW
UH
UH
Old August 11th 12, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

On Aug 11, 7:42*am, wrote:
[...]

It looks like everyone in 15m started pretty much the minute the gate
opened...and 114 kph is not enough to finish the course by sunset!
Some of the "landouts" are marked as finishing after official sunset!
Of course it's hard to tell because we're not getting any stories from
the pilots. Whine whine...
Old August 11th 12, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Saturday, 11 August 2012 08:56:40 UTC-5, John Cochrane wrote:
On Aug 11, 7:42*am, wrote:

[...]

Not sure where you are seeing finishers after official sunset. The official sunset on the task sheets for 10 August was 20:23:00 and the finish cylinder, 15Km, closed 15 minutes earlier at 20:08:00.