US Rules change needed for devaluation of contest day

Old August 22nd 14, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy

Default US Rules change needed for devaluation of contest day

On Sunday, August 10, 2014 11:10:41 AM UTC-6, Tim Taylor wrote:
After the day at Moriarty earlier this year and Nephi yesterday for the 15M/Std Combined class the rules for how a day is devalued needs to be addressed. I understand why the rule was modified a few years ago so that if pilots just didn't fly it would not devalue the day, but the criteria of what makes a valid attempt is now too high.

Why is this important? Because it makes the contest score subject to random luck rather than showing skill. If we want to attract more pilots to racing we need to ensure that they feel like they can have a fair opportunity to race.

Yesterday should have been devalued to almost nothing or have no score because too few pilots had an opportunity to compete.

Tim (TT)

Tim makes a very clear point here about 2 unfortunate situations that occurred at Moriarty and Nephi this season.
I disagree with TT that we need another rule change, I think we need to think about using Rule 11.4.6 as John Cochrane suggested, and he is one guy I very highly respect.
Here is what roughly happened in Nephi this August..
Several us [ Ron Gleason, John Cochrane, Andy Blackburn and Bruno Vassel] had a discussion about the possibility of using Rule 11.4.6 at the Region 9 North contest in Nephi Ut. a couple of weeks before the event.
Where that discussion was left, was that maybe, just maybe, it could be brought up and discussed at the mandatory 1st pilot meeting. Nothing at this point was planned or set in concrete.
It was agreed, that it would be unfair to spring this rule, even thought it is in the rule book, on pilots coming to the R9N after they had signed up and made plans to attend. It is a major change that's for sure.

OK- so we have 2 practice days and everyone is busy.
At the Mandatory pilot meeting, it moves fairly quickly and there are no pressing questions or concerns, and then Bruno asks 3 times *IF* there is anything else to discuss, looking at me. I'm totally unprepared for this moment, all I'm thinking about is going back and getting some sleep for Day 1 in the morning.
I stand up and say " Well, what would you guys think about using 11.4.6 "the drop a day rule" at this contest"?
This is what this rule is often referred to but it is not quite the case.
{ this rule needs to be fully explained in another thread by Cochrane and Blackburn to fully understand it } [ it is in the rulebook right now to read it, it is short and concise]
This was at the end of a long day and a rather quiet evening pilot meeting.
Everyone's mind was on the fact we were in for a dynamic week of moisture laden rip roaring flying. Most of us flew 8 straight days BTW.
I think over half had never heard of this rule, another 35% never really had thought about it and the way it would affect their flying attitude.
Luckily Andy Blackburn and John Good were in attendance, these guys are way smarter than me. I asked them to please speak and explain what this rule really in intended to do.
So they did and they answered a bunch of very good questions about how and why this, optional rule at the CD's discretion, got in the rulebook and what the hope for it was.
Great discussion ensued and everyone woke up and got into it. It was fantastic except for the potential to split the group. This was not desired.

After the discussion started to spiral in Bruno got up and said " Should we vote on this in the morning and I want it to be a unanimous vote in each of the three classes".
There was a vote to take a vote in the morning and that passed.

The meeting broke up and several of us stayed late to talk about it.
In the morning after all the regular stuff Bruno called for a vote to use Rule 11.4.6 It was narrowly defeated in each class, remember it had to be unanimous.
Only a a couple as I recall voted against it in each class. OK- move on to the gliders and gridding.
This rule was created to mitigate exactly what happened in New Mexico and Utah, i.e. some guys got screwed out of No fault of their own, just Lady Luck did not look their way at a moment in time.

There is a lot of luck, some good and some not so good in gliding.
Here are a few things that have happened to Pilots completely out of their control: Rope break and off field landing, Family emergency, business emergency, o2 failure, electrical failure, computer failure, Storms, Tow Pilots leave early, Allergy attack, Bee in cockpit , Ballast leak in cockpit.
Here are some brains farts we all seem to do at one time or another: Wrong task, Miss the start, miss the 1st TP, Land out on a good day, Turn off your electrical system in flight, Pull your o2 system apart,etc

This rule is intended to allow you One bad day and not be totally
out of it.
Maybe the Weather is too strong for you, and you don't want to tangle with Mr. CuNim. Maybe you think it's too windy. Your being Smart and Safe. But Mr Madman goes for it and gets 1000 points, sorry pal your done as far as the score sheet goes!

Another intention is to allow pilots too really go for it,racing hard as they can, not in weather necessarily, and not be completely out of it if you bomb, trying to go full out.
T.T. and I agree that the US pilots suffer at the World level to some degree by not being able to Go For It in a contest setting. The current rules encourage Pilots stay with the gaggle, do slightly above average everyday. This is how you place at the top of the score sheet. No bombouts. Using 11..4.6 would all pilots, to go full out, really burn.
This is the way I like to fly often times and many others do too.
At these contests pilots can really be inspired to really try hard, the bar is raised really high.
And looking at the democratic vote for using this Rule in Nephi this R9N a vast majority also feel this way.
Weather is so iffy. Very often you have Windy Blue days with hi pressure or alot of moisture and very unstable conditions. Either way we are going to fly if it is possible and it IS a contest.
So what are we really judging at these regional contests? The ability to stay with the pack with your head down and slowly grind through the days and try hard not to F up?
I kind of think so.
Contests for my close friends are all about having fun in a social setting, going XC, This is the key for me. Fun. Social. Going for it. Support.
And having this rule for a regional contest sounds like way fun to me.
Several pilots, with a cold one in hand, said to me that they would really like to try this; especially after they just took a self inflicted caning out there in the wild blue of The Wasatch Plauteu, Waynes Wonderland,Koosharem, Junction and our favorite spot Richfield/ Salina/ Gunnison valley.
A regional is a good place to try this out.
I mean what do we have to lose? Anything really? Rule changes are very carefully scrutinized and studied, and this one is in the rule book for a reason.
It was written by very smart,,caring thoughtful elected to a board,comp pilots.
Change can be good and we can always go back, like no GPS, no seeyoumobile, open distance tasks,El Mirage, Torrey Pines,etc; just kidding.

I would like to see the R9N, just for all involved to see, that's it, just to see, re scored using the above rule, as a bunch of pilots got hammered on the score sheet, for all sorts of odd reasons, some out of their control, some self inflicted [ I raise my hand, thank you very much ].
Is there anyone out there that could do this rescore? FWIW only thank you
Cheers
Nick Kennedy

Old August 22nd 14, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Leonard

Here's the Sports Class at Region 9 N rescored using worst day adjustment.

http:/soarbfss.org/rasp/Nephi_WDA_rescore.pdf

Did not change the winner, but compressed the scores and shuffled a few places.

Old August 22nd 14, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

Everything we've done to make racing easier has been accompanied by a drop in participation.

Evan Ludeman / T8
Old August 22nd 14, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy

Dave,

Thank you for posting that rescore sheet.

Interesting to look at and speculate with it in hand.

That was a awesome soaring session we had in Nephi!

I look forward to more of those fantastic contests/ OLC events put on by Bruno Ron and Gene.

Nick
Old August 22nd 14, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

In sailing, most major events (and most small events for that matter) have as standard practice a "drop" race or "throw out" after a certain number of races are completed (usually 6). This is very standard in sailing. If you get in only 3 races (for example) in for the weekend, all races count because throwing one third of the available sores would greatly skew the results. But once you get a solid number of races, six, everyone throws the worst and only your best 5 count.

I love the idea of "throw-outs" (otherwise referred to as mulligans in sailing) in soaring but think the adjustment should only kick in after 3 solid contest days are completed (.25 * WDSD). Beginning to "tune scores" after only one or two flying days seems a bit early.

Sean

Old August 22nd 14, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Friday, 22 August 2014 09:03:49 UTC-6, Sean Fidler wrote:
In sailing, most major events (and most small events for that matter) have as standard practice a "drop" race or "throw out" after a certain number of races are completed (usually 6). This is very standard in sailing. If you get in only 3 races (for example) in for the weekend, all races count because throwing one third of the available sores would greatly skew the results. But once you get a solid number of races, six, everyone throws the worst and only your best 5 count.

I love the idea of "throw-outs" (otherwise referred to as mulligans in sailing) in soaring but think the adjustment should only kick in after 3 solid contest days are completed (.25 * WDSD). Beginning to "tune scores" after only one or two flying days seems a bit early.

Sean

The rule reads as follows

11.4.4 â€* Worst Day Score Adjustment
If this is declared to be in effect, an adjustment is calculated and added to the cumulative score of each entrant.
11.4.4.1 â€* Worst Day Score Differential
For each entrant, WDSD is the greatest difference on any contest day between the entrant's score (before application of a Contest penalty) and the highest score achieved by any regular entrant in the class on that day.
11.4.4.2 â€* A Worst Day Score Adjustment is added to each entrant's cumulative score, as follows:
After one official day: WDSA = zero
After 2 official days: WDSA = 0.25 * WDSD
After 3 official days: WDSA = 0.5 * WDSD
After 4 official days: WDSA = 0.75 * WDSD
After 5 or more official days: WDSA = WDSD

With little to no use of this rule there is no experience or history to try to make assessments of the validity. Maybe after 3 days is better than 2.

Would like to see it actually used before having lengthy discussions.
Old August 22nd 14, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Thursday, August 21, 2014 10:12:09 PM UTC-7, Dave Leonard wrote:
[...]

I would have to say that it did not change the winner but had quite a few changes in all the other places.

I would also say the the vote was not as close as indicated. Many did not vote as it only took 1 no vote. I would estimate that at least 8 of the sports class were not in favor and did not vote.

I would suggest that the rules committee should do a lot of evaluation of past contests and make it public and not just for the first place finishers. This should be done before it is added to the rules. You must realize that the first place finishers cannot themselves support all the contests. It takes all and the number is dwindling. It appears that not much evaluation was done on this rule.

Maybe we should mandate it for all the Nationals next year and if successful and liked let the regional use it.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old August 22nd 14, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Old August 22nd 14, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Friday, August 22, 2014 6:56:57 AM UTC-6, Evan Ludeman wrote:
Everything we've done to make racing easier has been accompanied by a drop in participation.

Evan Ludeman / T8

Get rid of ALL devaluation formulas. Allow one dropped score IF there are more than three contest days. Contest soaring in America is beginning to look more and more like no child left behind.

Mike
Old August 22nd 14, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

The plea for data is good, but the main point of the rule is not to reshuffle the podium at the end of the contest, but to change the experience of flying the contest. For that, we can't simulate or re-score, we need to try it.

That's why it's available, as an option, at regionals. The RC does its best to evaluate new ideas with available data. But then you have to go try it, collect some new data, and see if it works, where the bugs are and if people like it. (Last start rule is also there in the same way.)

Pilots who like the idea: Implore the CD / CM of your upcoming regional to declare worst day adjustment for your regional, and announce it before preferential entry deadline so that the pilot's meeting doesn't have to be a long contentious matter.

It is only fair to pilots who don't want to try it to let them know ahead of time.

John Cochrane