Ventus 2cx brake

Old November 26th 08, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DRN

Default Ventus 2cx brake

On Nov 26, 11:32*am, Andy wrote:
http://www.nadler.com/public/ventus2...ke%20cable.htm

Man that's ugly!

Why would anyone ruin a great hydraulic disc brake by actuating the
master cylinder with a bicycle cable?

Andy

That is a very good question.

Antares uses a direct mechanical connection from spoiler
pushrod to master-cylinder actuation lever, no Bowden cable.

A Bowden cable is a SPRING, and bicycle-grade is really
silly in these applications (especially 8 foot long with a
Tost "wheel brake").

I believe SH has upgraded new production to use Beringer parts;
hopefully they have stopped doing this on the actuation side...

See ya, Dave "YO electric"
Old November 26th 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_2_]

DRN wrote:
On Nov 26, 11:32 am, Andy wrote:
http://www.nadler.com/public/ventus2...ke%20cable.htm

Man that's ugly!

Why would anyone ruin a great hydraulic disc brake by actuating the
master cylinder with a bicycle cable?

Andy

That is a very good question.

Antares uses a direct mechanical connection from spoiler
pushrod to master-cylinder actuation lever, no Bowden cable.

A Bowden cable is a SPRING, and bicycle-grade is really
silly in these applications (especially 8 foot long with a
Tost "wheel brake").

I believe SH has upgraded new production to use Beringer parts;
hopefully they have stopped doing this on the actuation side...

See ya, Dave "YO electric"

No, still using the bicycle cable with the Beringer system. See the
installation instructions he

http://schempp-hirth.com/fileadmin/t...49-33-2444.pdf
Old November 26th 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DRN

On Nov 26, 12:27*pm, Greg Arnold wrote:
DRN wrote:
On Nov 26, 11:32 am, Andy wrote:
http://www.nadler.com/public/ventus2...ke%20cable.htm
Man that's ugly!

Why would anyone ruin a great hydraulic disc brake by actuating the
master cylinder with a bicycle cable?

Andy

That is a very good question.

Antares uses a direct mechanical connection from spoiler
pushrod to master-cylinder actuation lever, no Bowden cable.

A Bowden cable is a SPRING, and bicycle-grade is really
silly in these applications (especially 8 foot long with a
Tost "wheel brake").

I believe SH has upgraded new production to use Beringer parts;
hopefully they have stopped doing this on the actuation side...

See ya, Dave "YO electric"

No, still using the bicycle cable with the Beringer system. *See the
installation instructions he

http://schempp-hirth.com/fileadmin/t...49-33-2444.pdf

Aaarggg - It does work adequately with a beefier Bowden cable...
Old November 26th 08, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

http://schempp-hirth.com/fileadmin/t...9-33-2444.pdf- Hide quoted text -

Old November 26th 08, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_2_]

DRN wrote:
On Nov 26, 11:32 am, Andy wrote:
[...]

I upgraded to a disc brake on my 20-year-old Discus. I have the very
same issues there, and haven't had any good ideas about how to upgrade
to a beefier Bowden cable (motorcycle cable?) that still will work with
the fittings designed for the bicycle cable. Also, I have wondered how
a stiffer cable would affect the feel at the stick -- seems it would be
stiffer in pitch.

Old November 26th 08, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Nov 26, 10:27*am, Greg Arnold wrote:
No, still using the bicycle cable with the Beringer system. *See the
installation instructions he

http://schempp-hirth.com/fileadmin/t...9-33-2444.pdf- Hide quoted text -

Not only cable but clamp screw type cable nipples. Makes me
appreciate even more the direct actuated Cleveland system used by
Schleicher.

Andy
Old November 26th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DRN

On Nov 26, 12:42*pm, Greg Arnold wrote:
I upgraded to a disc brake on my 20-year-old Discus. *I have the very
same issues there, and haven't had any good ideas about how to upgrade
to a beefier Bowden cable (motorcycle cable?) that still will work with
the fittings designed for the bicycle cable. *

You do need to change a few fittings.

Also, I have wondered how
a stiffer cable would affect the feel at the stick -- seems it would be
stiffer in pitch.

No change if the cable is routed carefully...
If you feel any change don't fly it !

Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"
Old November 26th 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Nov 26, 8:32*am, Andy wrote:

Why would anyone ruin a great hydraulic disc brake by actuating the
master cylinder with a bicycle cable?

When I was building a brake system for the center stick controls of my
HP-18, I decided I wanted the stick to have as little inertia, and as
little mass aft of the ptich pivot, as practical. Hence my decision to
use a mountain bike brake lever on the stick driving a fixed master
cylinder through a low-friction sheathed cable. That's why this
sailplane developer developed such a system.

My caution was driven by an earlier accident involving a late
acquaintenance whose sailplane unzipped in turbulence and distributed
parts pretty widely. That ship's control stick had been modified in a
way that some thought contributed to undamped PIO.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old November 26th 08, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DRN

On Nov 26, 1:05*pm, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Nov 26, 8:32*am, Andy wrote:

Why would anyone ruin a great hydraulic disc brake by actuating the
master cylinder with a bicycle cable?

When I was building a brake system for the center stick controls of my
HP-18, I decided I wanted the stick to have as little inertia, and as
little mass aft of the ptich pivot, as practical. Hence my decision to
use a mountain bike brake lever on the stick driving a fixed master
cylinder through a low-friction sheathed cable. That's why this
sailplane developer developed such a system.

My caution was driven by an earlier accident involving a late
acquaintenance whose sailplane unzipped in turbulence and distributed
parts pretty widely. That ship's control stick had been modified in a
way that some thought contributed to undamped PIO.

Thanks, Bob K.

Even better is to use a direct linkage from the spoiler
and keep this buggery off the stick completely !
See ya, Dave "YO electric"

PS: I know, doesn't work on the HP-18, no spoilers;
my whale has it on the stick...
Old November 26th 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Nov 26, 7:54*am, BravoCharlie
wrote:
I have also heard the suggestion to replace the plastic
brake fluid line with braided stainless. *Any thoughts about that?-

I found that the plastic brake line works perfectly well with very
little stretch. I'm using Nylo-Seal NSR 1/8" OD, .026" wall stuff so
the internal volume is as low as possible and the hoop and
longitudinal stresses are reasonable. I originally expected that the
small internal cross-section would make the flow rate low enough that
the brakes would be slow to apply and slow to release, but that has
not been the case. It seems that disk brakes operate with such little
displacement that even .004in^2 of cross-section on a 4-foot tube
provides adequate flow.

Thanks, Bob K.

brake fittings [email protected] Home Built 6 April 30th 07 01:33 AM
K21 brake parts Stuart Kinnear Soaring 10 June 26th 06 09:54 PM
looking for a 75 to 100 ton press brake about 8/10 ft Adrian eyre Home Built 1 January 6th 05 05:28 AM
BRAKE FLUID Ventus B Soaring 9 October 17th 04 07:25 PM
My squishy brake JFLEISC Owning 0 June 30th 04 01:44 AM