Australian 750 km triangle record - Team Flying

Old February 10th 14, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Default Australian 750 km triangle record - Team Flying

https://www.facebook.com/allan.barne...599010848916:0

The boys down under just broke their 750 km triangle record. They did it by team flying.

Sean
Old February 10th 14, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Here are the flights on OLC...

Allen Barnes (LS8): http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...9?dsId=3471786

Matt Gage: http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...9?dsId=3471655

Allen got the record by a few seconds over Matt. But they started and finished within seconds.

Sean

Old February 10th 14, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Video replay (SeeYou) of the team record flight...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jRbY...e=sharenoembed

Old February 12th 14, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

GFA has received the following record claims for the Australian National Standard Class 750km triangle speed record:

Category: General

Class: Standard

Type of record: 750km triangle speed

Location: West Wyalong

Performance: 134.01 kph

Pilot: Matt gage

Glider: LS8/15m

Date: 8/2/2014

Category: General
Sub-class Standard
Type of record : Speed over a 750km triangle
Course/location : West Wyalong Aerodrome, NSW ( Australia ) - TP1`- Conargo and return
Performance : 134.01 km/hr
Pilot : Allan Barnes
Glider : LS8/15mRegistration: VH-NSZ
Date : 08 Feb 2014

Old February 12th 14, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Could you give us a tutorial on how you recorded the Seeyou flight?

Thanks.
Old February 12th 14, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Tutorial on how to record screen playback of SeeYou flights:

1) ITS EASY!

2) There are several software packages that are available for screen recording. Some are free. I use a "not free" package called Camtasia Studio (http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.html, $99). Camtasia records in extreme high definition, allows for editing, etc. Its probably overkill. I am sure there are other "free" screen recording packages out there. You simply are recording your PC screen (Camtasia is most used for creating PC software training videos).

3) Set up SeeYou as if you were normally replaying the flight (I can go into more detail on using SeeYou if you would like...).

4) Open Camtasia (or any other such software) and press "record"

5) Switch windows over to SeeYou and replay your SeeYou flight as normal. Take care to ensure the zoom level is appropriate so that the viewers have the best perspective of the flight. The software is simply recording your screen activities. You can pause, zoom, change angles, point out data (such as average climb rate, etc) as needed. My video was just a rapid playback of this flight. I could have gone into much more detail. Check out this video for an example of more detail in a SeeYou flight review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kqE02Uz8k0

6) When complete, stop recording

7) Upload to YouTube or Vimeo. Consider adding music, video editing, etc.

Hope that helps! Sorry for typo's...doing this in car on mobile (no I am not driving...)

Sean
F2/7T

Old February 12th 14, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

For those of you less familiar with YouTube, it is very important that you have a fast internet connection and select the highest resolution for video playback 1080. You do this by maximizing the video to full screen (lower right hand corner of the video) and by selecting the gear shaped icon (also in lower right hand corner of the video) and selecting 1080.

Here is a you tube video on how to do this: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/91449?hl=en

Old February 13th 14, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Here is a forward from the [Aus-Soaring] newsgroup, posted by Matt Gage.
He and Allan flew the task together extremely well. Seems to me that for the most part, the US team has a lot to learn about pair (team) flying. At Uvalde, I only noticed good pair flying results in the open class.
"Pam" is Pam Kurstjens, the Australian FAI record keeper.
Some of you may have met Pam and her husband Gerritt on a US flying tour with their Nimbus 4s about a decade ago.
"Wombat" is Mike Cleaver, who had first posted to [Aus-Soaring] that this was a training flight.
You may have met Allan when he came to the USA during Australian winter to buy that LS8 and fly it at as many places as he could. Hmmm, sounds like a chapter out of Moffatt's book "Winning".
I have met Allan several times, and he is a strong competition pilot. Yet to meet Matt. I don't think he is a high time pilot but he seems to really get it. Intuition. Wasn't that another chapter of "Winning"?
By the way, I cross-posted Sean's video link to the Australians.
Jim

Unlike Australian comps, there is nothing in the sporting code (which governs records) that suggests the flights can't be done pair flying, or even receiving weather or condition information from multiple locations to assist decision making.

Additionally, I believe that Pam actually contacted the IGC for clarification on this before posting the notification.

For those that like to know where the task was, TP1 was an arbitrary GPS point midway between Ivanhoe and Balranald - there's nothing there, so nothing to name it after !

Wombat is correct in that we were using this flight as a training exercise for the worlds, this was actually the 2nd record attempt in the week we spent together - we fell well short of Peter Temple's new 750k o/r record a few days earlier.

We were wingtip to wingtip at both the start and finish, although for much of the flight, this wasn't the case as we repeatedly had one then the other get separated vertically and the had to work hard to pull the low one back up without slowing the high one - very good training for us. The intention was to try and do this jointly, although, if one of us had been clearly ahead at the finish, they were not going to wait !

For others thinking of doing the same, you are not going to be able to pair fly effectively without a lot of practice, equivalent gliders at the same wing loading and a similar flying style - we had this, and had almost no disagreement over thermal strengths to use, height bands, speed to fly, tracks in both the blue and with Cu, etc.

Over the week, we flew for over 30 hours together over about 3,500 km. This particular flight was on the last day.

Finally, we need to apologise to everyone affected by the huge amount of radio traffic between us last week

Matt
Old February 13th 14, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Highly impressive. Great to see other countries making an effort to develop their team flying skills.