Oshkosh '06 Redux

Old August 2nd 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Default Oshkosh '06 Redux

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
SNF happens at the exact time we're getting ready to plant I'll never
make SNF unless they change the date.

Yeah, and we'll never see SnF again unless they change the dates to
coincide with my kids' spring break.

Sounds like you and I will be crying in our beers together next April,
eh?

:-)
--

Take the kids out of school for a week. Which do you think they will
remember more 20 years from now, a week of school or spending a few days on

Old August 3rd 06, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Take the kids out of school for a week. Which do you think they will
remember more 20 years from now, a week of school or spending a few days on
the flight line with Mom & Dad?

We did that in '03 and '04. By '05, my son was in advanced classes,
and he told me in no uncertain terms that missing a week of high school
would be disastrous.

That was one of my proudest moments with him, actually. It took a lot
of guts to say that, when everything in him wanted to go to Florida.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 3rd 06, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

If you think you want one, do not... I repeat do not... ever fly one. It will cost you several many mucho AMUs

My tail kit was supposed to ship yesterday. :' )
Tools due to begin arriving as soon as today.

No, Joe, there's no worry about that happening. I've seen way too many
happy guys go down the home building road (both with airplanes *and*
houses, by the way) to ever want to try it.

Some have finished their aircraft, but they are in the minority -- and
all have spent way too much time in unheated garages (or hangars),
while I was out flying.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 3rd 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
Take the kids out of school for a week. Which do you think they will
remember more 20 years from now, a week of school or spending a few days
on
the flight line with Mom & Dad?

We did that in '03 and '04. By '05, my son was in advanced classes,
and he told me in no uncertain terms that missing a week of high school
would be disastrous.

That was one of my proudest moments with him, actually. It took a lot
of guts to say that, when everything in him wanted to go to Florida.
--

While I applaud his dedication I think we both know that unless the week was
during exams or such disastrous would be a bit of an over statement. I have

Old August 3rd 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

While I applaud his dedication I think we both know that unless the week was
during exams or such disastrous would be a bit of an over statement. I have
a 15 year old. I fully understand overstatements.

Well, I'm not sure. Some of the homework that boy brings home is quite
complex. His advanced math classes alone are enough to give me a
sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. Of course, I was an English
major -- so what do I know about math?

Still, even Mary -- who took advanced calculus in college -- often had
to read the book to help Joe with his homework. She says that this
year (his junior year in H.S.) he'll be beyond her capability to help
him.

Too bad the government has abandoned our space program -- he'd make a
great rocket scientist. Maybe the Chinese will be hiring in 2011?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 4th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Too bad the government has abandoned our space program -- he'd make a
great rocket scientist. Maybe the Chinese will be hiring in 2011?

do you really believe that the Chinese need us from the west?

No. But Joe might need *them*.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 4th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
Martin Hotze wrote:

do you really believe that the Chinese need us from the west? they have
more than a billion people. And they 'produce' scientists on a basis we
only can dream of.

That may or may not be an advantage. Culture counts for alot.
The United States, for all its population to draw from, still cannot
field a World Cup winning soccer team. Why? Because the sport is not
sufficiently developed in our culture above the elementary school level.
The same applies to academics. Unless there exists a culture where free
speech and thought are encouraged, ideas will not flow. China has a way
to go before we see this happen.
Old August 4th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
Martin Hotze wrote:

john smith wrote:

China has a way
to go before we see this happen.

IBTD. They hire 3 scientists where we take 1. And copying is an art over
there and not seen as a bad or illegal thing.

Copying is no substitute for innovation.
Old August 4th 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

IBTD. They hire 3 scientists where we take 1. And copying is an art over
there and not seen as a bad or illegal thing.

Copying is no substitute for innovation.

Yes, but until they change, China is all about copying what they find
elsewhere, including the manufacturing processes, with all of the ecological
and safety measures taken off, of course.

They are polluting their future generations.
--
Jim in NC

Oshkosh 2003 Redux Montblack Owning 86 August 14th 03 04:29 PM
Oshkosh 2003 Redux Montblack Piloting 62 August 14th 03 04:29 PM
Oshkosh 2003 Redux Peter R. Piloting 30 August 8th 03 11:41 PM
Oshkosh 2003 Redux Sydney Hoeltzli Owning 2 August 6th 03 07:27 AM
Oshkosh 2003 Redux Sydney Hoeltzli Piloting 2 August 6th 03 07:27 AM