Oshkosh '06 Redux

Old August 9th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_1_]

Default OT thread drift, big time!

The chain stores have recently dictated that they want all "branded"
products, which means we pack under their labels, thus allowing them to pull
from several sources, but our non chain affiliated direct customers would be
getting 'Burns' or Golden Pheasant brand.

Tommy's Market (now operating under Grapevine Produce) is the Taylorsville
customer that we used to ship to. I see that their credit rating is
currently pretty poor with payments averaging over 60 days. When the father
(Tommy) ran it, payment was within 7 days, then his son took it over and
payment got stretched out to 90 days only if you hounded them for it. My
understanding is now most of their inventory has been coming in from
Winston-Salem, Hickory, and even Raleigh as rejected produce that other
customers refuse. This allows them to cut the price and sell it at a
discount without providing a fixed purchase price to the consigner. It's a
very profitable way of doing business because there is no accountability.

As funny as it sounds, sometimes you can actually end up with a quality
product because the reasons that the chain stores reject loads are most
often due to unknowledgeable store inspectors or excess inventory.
Sometimes you beg a place like Tommy's to take your load of rejected
potatoes and sometimes you simply have the truck bring it all the way back
and pay the extra freight. Either way, it's expensive for the shipper.

Jim

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Jim Burns" wrote

We used to ship into Taylorsville also, that's where
the Broyhill trucks used to deliver for us, but the place in

Taylorsville
is
kind of shaky these days.

Taylorsville is where I teach carpentry, at the high school.

I'll bet I go past the place you are talking about, every day. It should

be
a little better, in the past 6 months to a year, since ownership changed
hands, due to total mismanagement, from the scuttlebutt I hear. Maybe

still
shaky, though, huh? g

What brand or name do you ship your product under? This is really a small
world!
--
Jim in NC

Old August 9th 06, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Default Oshkosh '06 Redux

john smith wrote:

By "the old place", do you mean the one down over the hill in the
northwest (?) corner?

Where is the new one?

The new FBO at Hickory airport is right across the street from the old
commercial terminal. The latest airport diagram has it labeled correctly,
which you can see right in the upper middle of the diagram:

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0608/00706AD.PDF

Could you take some pictures and post them to
alt.binaries.pictures.aviation?

Profile Aviation's website has some good pictures right on their home page:

http://www.profileaviation.com/

--
Peter
Old August 9th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

Yep, the new FBO is a beautiful complex. It was needed; the old place

was a
hole.

By "the old place", do you mean the one down over the hill in the
northwest (?) corner?

Yep.

Where is the new one?

It is a two story building with entry to the top story off of the right side
of the commercial terminal building's paroking lot.

Could you take some pictures and post them to
alt.binaries.pictures.aviation?

I'll try to get over that way, some time, and take a picture, but it will be
a while. I'll post it as Hickory general aviation complex, or something
like that.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 9th 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Here is the home page for the plane, with pictures, kinda'.
http://www.flyingfossilsairshows.com/site.html

Thanks. Seems kinda odd that they're still soliciting business.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 9th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
Here is the home page for the plane, with pictures, kinda'.
http://www.flyingfossilsairshows.com/site.html

Thanks. Seems kinda odd that they're still soliciting business.

The page was more than likely done by the guy that died, and nobody has
taken it down.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 9th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

You're both missing the fact that new industries could have been created
to allow the old businesses to operate by mitigating the polution
sources. The polution sources simply chose to move to where they could
continue the old ways or shut down completely rather than adapt to
cleaner methods.

And why do you suppose "they" made that choice?

There were probably a hundred reasons, but one major one is simply
this: Making a manufacturing plant "clean" is very expensive.
Economics 101 taught us all that capital will always seek the lowest
cost -- and it did.

This was NOT an unexpected result of the environmental movement. My
father (30+ years in the energy industry) predicted it (as did
thousands of others), and many environmentalists openly acknowledged
the phenomenon as they were fighting the "clean wars" of the 1960s and
'70s.

They simply didn't care about the collateral economic damage, having
made the decision that they knew better.

Personally, I'm glad the air and water are cleaner -- after all, I
don't need a factory job -- but it really gripes me when some on the
Left play politics by wringing their hands about the loss of "good
jobs" when they (of all people) know what part they played in their
demise.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 10th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
.Blueskies.

Default OT- -Oshkosh '06 Redux - longest (deepest?) thread?

"Morgans" wrote in message ...
:
: "Jay Honeck" wrote in message
: oups.com...
: Here is the home page for the plane, with pictures, kinda'.
: http://www.flyingfossilsairshows.com/site.html
:
: Thanks. Seems kinda odd that they're still soliciting business.
:
: The page was more than likely done by the guy that died, and nobody has
: taken it down.
: --
: Jim in NC
:

This post is so far down I cannot see the subject anymore...

Old August 10th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
.Blueskies.

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message ps.com...
:
: the situation. If they ever wake up to the fact that they've been
: thrown into the under-class in exchange for cleaner air and water, they
: might grow hostile to your cause.
: --
: Jay Honeck
: Iowa City, IA
: Pathfinder N56993
: www.AlexisParkInn.com
: "Your Aviation Destination"
:

Man oh man. This is America! Folks adapt and make fortunes on ideas and freedom. Folks are not thrown into an
'underclass' situation, most choose it in one way or another because of their life choices, and if they want to make
themselves better off there is plenty of opportunity. We are not a welfare society (anymore?) as much as we used to be.
Some think there is no other way than the old ways - they will be left behind...

Old August 10th 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

".Blueskies." wrote

This post is so far down I cannot see the subject anymore...

We were talking about the F-86 that went down, on the way to OSH.
--
Jim in NC
Old August 10th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Man oh man. This is America! Folks adapt and make fortunes on ideas and freedom. Folks are not thrown into an
'underclass' situation, most choose it in one way or another because of their life choices, and if they want to make
themselves better off there is plenty of opportunity. We are not a welfare society (anymore?) as much as we used to be.
Some think there is no other way than the old ways - they will be left behind...

As someone who has started three businesses, I certainly believe that
the "American Dream" is alive and well. For those who want it,
success is there for the having.

However, having worked with the public for many years, I am also aware
that there are a vast number of Americans who are, essentially,
non-functional. This semi-literate, semi-skilled, semi-motivated
group of people were, until very recently, well-employed in American
heavy industry. They are now working as best they can at the margins
of our society, and have been "thrown" into semi-poverty.

The reasons for this phenomenon are many, but the push to make American
industry "green" was certainly a major reason for its move overseas,
where such environmental rules don't exist. As I've said, the folks
who instigated these environmental mandates (which, quite honestly,
have benefited the rest of us greatly) should thank their lucky stars
that this large group of non-functional Americans are truly ignorant of
the reasons for their plight.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Oshkosh 2003 Redux Montblack Owning 86 August 14th 03 04:29 PM
Oshkosh 2003 Redux Montblack Piloting 62 August 14th 03 04:29 PM
Oshkosh 2003 Redux Peter R. Piloting 30 August 8th 03 11:41 PM
Oshkosh 2003 Redux Sydney Hoeltzli Owning 2 August 6th 03 07:27 AM
Oshkosh 2003 Redux Sydney Hoeltzli Piloting 2 August 6th 03 07:27 AM