Serious STOL fun

Old January 26th 08, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Serious STOL fun

I'm probably going to get this DVD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbBb_IuT1_o

I've GOT to build this plane.

Old January 27th 08, 06:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

wrote http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbBb_IuT1_o

I've GOT to build this plane.

If only it weren't so damn UGLY ! g

It does fit the mission, though, I guess.

Hey, I found this on the same page, about a VW miracle engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4zSld30cmw&feature=related

It claims 211 HP out of a modified VW engine.

Very interesting.

If you buy that one, I have a bridge to sell you. It's right next to the
ocean-front property in Arizona.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 28th 08, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Hey, I found this on the same page, about a VW miracle engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4zSld30cmw&feature=related

It claims 211 HP out of a modified VW engine.

Very interesting.

If you buy that one, I have a bridge to sell you. *It's right next to the
ocean-front property in Arizona.
--
Jim in NC

It is possible to build VW engines that have much higher HP than that.
Some racing engines top 400, I think.

Of course, they don't last very long. Like maybe a quarter of a
mile ...

www.aircooled.net

Old January 28th 08, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

wrote

It is possible to build VW engines that have much higher HP than that.
Some racing engines top 400, I think.

Of course, they don't last very long. Like maybe a quarter of a
mile ...
****************************
Reply:

Yes, but in this context, it is to be an airplane engine.

Not much call out there for 20 second airplane engines, are there?

Oh yeah! Rotax fits that description! g
--
Jim in NC

Old January 28th 08, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
William Hung[_2_]

On Jan 27, 1:08*am, "Morgans" wrote:
wrotehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbBb_IuT1_o

I've GOT to build this plane.

*If only it weren't so damn UGLY ! *g

It does fit the mission, though, I guess.

Hey, I found this on the same page, about a VW miracle engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4zSld30cmw&feature=related

It claims 211 HP out of a modified VW engine.

Very interesting.

If you buy that one, I have a bridge to sell you. *It's right next to the
ocean-front property in Arizona.
--
Jim in NC

C'on Jim, it's not so ugly. Looks like a Jeep Willy of the sky to me,
and I think the Willy's jeeps look great. My plan is to one day get a
C150, I'm leaning towards building the 701 now. Maybe with a 582 or
if finances allow, a 912.

Wil
Old January 28th 08, 12:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

C'on Jim, it's not so ugly. *Looks like a Jeep Willy of the sky to me,
and I think the Willy's jeeps look great. *My plan is to one day get a
C150, I'm leaning towards building the 701 now. *Maybe with a 582 or
if finances allow, a 912.

Wil-

For a while I thought more HP would be better for the 701, 100 instead
of 80.

After reading a detailed pilot report of it with 100, I've decided 80
is fine. I'm going for a VW, 2149 cc. Nitrided crank. "Geared down"
with one of Great Plain's pulleys. More thrust, power 80 to 100

Old January 28th 08, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
oilsardine[_2_]

After reading a detailed pilot report of it with 100, I've decided 80
is fine. I'm going for a VW, 2149 cc. Nitrided crank. "Geared down"
with one of Great Plain's pulleys. More thrust, power 80 to 100

80 to 100? - not on this planet

Old January 28th 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
.. .
wrote in news:5929b616-fa26-4bd1-acde-baf81ddc4b29
@s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

Hey, I found this on the same page, about a VW miracle engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4zSld30cmw&feature=related

It claims 211 HP out of a modified VW engine.

Very interesting.

If you buy that one, I have a bridge to sell you. It's right next to th

ocean-front property in Arizona.
--
Jim in NC

It is possible to build VW engines that have much higher HP than that.
Some racing engines top 400, I think.

I wouldn't be surpised if you couldn't get more than that, even. Blown F1
engines based on engines almsot as simple ( the BMW M10, for instane) were
knocking on 1,000 HP thirty years ago.
Wouldnt like to fly behind one though!

Even a bit over a hundred has to be the limit for a reliable VW engine,
and
even then it's not going to be very torquey.

Bertie

This is the wrong NG to really attract a firestorm on this subject; however
I am really inclined to agree with you about the practical limit for a VW.
However, there is a major caveat--according to sources that I trust, ram air
will not provide enough cooling during climb for more than about half of
that. Therefore, in addition to the obvious of a PSRU, a high horsepower VW
would also require a relatively high pressure cooling fan and the attendant
machinery to regulate it. And that is still no guarantee of a successfull
outcome.

There is also a second point about automotive racing engines that is
frequently overlooked: I don't have any source of real numbers, but an
occasional few minutes of "standing by the fence and watching the cars pass
by" has convinced me that that road racing averages out to around 30 to 35%
of maximum horsepower--although some oval track racing on super speedways
should be a much higher percentage of power. In any case, the design life
expectancy (and reliability) of an engine for endurance road racing is
obviously far less than I would consider acceptable for flying--with the
obvious exception of air racing.

When you add it all up, a good conservative automotive conversion can save
money at the expense of performance; but a purpose designed aircraft engine
is still the least expensive source of reliable lightweight power. I am not
happy about that, and I keep looking, but around 70 to 75% of the power that
an engine developed for its original (factory warranteed) application still
looks like a practical limit.

Peter

Old January 28th 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Peter Dohm" wrote in
:

[...]

Yeah, an automotive conversion really doesn;t appeal to me for a lot of
reasons. Some VW designs are realyl fun though! And breaths there a
pilot with a soul so dead as to not turn and look at a nice model A
poswered Piet?

Bertie

STOL Plans M. Home Built 52 August 4th 06 06:47 AM
Zenith STOL 801 R.W. Behan Home Built 2 May 24th 06 02:34 PM
BD-4. wings on a V-6 STOL? Jim Rodgers Home Built 5 August 31st 05 09:59 PM
WTB Cessna 150/150 STOL brewmaster1 Aviation Marketplace 0 March 21st 05 02:30 AM
206 STOL DeltaDeltaDelta Piloting 11 December 20th 03 09:39 PM