Jim Weir: RST-442E operation query

Old April 23rd 05, 07:42 AM
Leo

Default Jim Weir: RST-442E operation query

Jim,
I'm still troubleshooting a squelch problem - I can't easily overcome the
squelch - on my RST-442E and have a query re the Operations and Maintenance
Manual content.
Section C. 3. Troubleshooting Procedures. Audio Microphone Response Tests
(a) and (b) on Page C5 note that the output of U101A pin 1 should be 3.5
volts peak to peak from a 0.5 volts P-P microphone input [speech] but
Section D. Theory of Operation para 1 on Page D1 notes the output at U101A
pin 1 from speech will 1 volt peak to peak.
Which is correct?
Thanks,
Leo

Old April 24th 05, 04:27 PM
RST Engineering

I really would like to help, but...

Please, please, slow up and try it again. Please use whole sentences and
don't abbreviate. Tell me what YOU are measuring. I can read the manual on
this end.

Jim

Old April 24th 05, 09:16 PM
Rob Turk

"Leo" LeoPowningatYahoo.com wrote in message

Jim,
I'm still troubleshooting a squelch problem - I can't easily overcome the
squelch - on my RST-442E and have a query re the Operations and
Maintenance Manual content.

[SNIP]

With all due respect for Jim, who has lots of valuable experience and great
products to offer, why is r.a.h. being used as a tech support centre for RST
Engineering? Some of the questions may be of interest to other builders, but
many of these "Jim Weir: help my hat's on fire" messages should not be here.

Would it be very much trouble to head over to
http://www.rst-engr.com/rst/contact_us.html and get in touch with Jim that
way? Or maybe start a rec.aviation.jim.weir.questions newsgroup??

Just curious...

Rob

Old April 24th 05, 10:33 PM
Morgans

"Rob Turk" wrote

With all due respect for Jim, who has lots of valuable experience and

great
products to offer, why is r.a.h. being used as a tech support centre for

RST
Engineering? Some of the questions may be of interest to other builders,

but
many of these "Jim Weir: help my hat's on fire" messages should not be

here.

Rob, with all or the other off topic stuff around here, I don't see why you
would object to seeing questions, answers and discussions that are actually
on topic, as to the workings of electronics, used for airplanes.

I don't understand 90% of what is being said about the electronics, but I
still enjoy reading about it. If *you* do not, set up some filters to get
rid of the RST, or Weir, or whatever subjects, of just mark the topics read
when you come across them.

My vote is to leave the questions here.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 25th 05, 07:17 AM
Rob Turk

"Morgans" wrote in message

Rob, with all or the other off topic stuff around here, I don't see why
you
would object to seeing questions, answers and discussions that are
actually
on topic, as to the workings of electronics, used for airplanes.

I don't understand 90% of what is being said about the electronics, but I
still enjoy reading about it. If *you* do not, set up some filters to get
rid of the RST, or Weir, or whatever subjects, of just mark the topics
read
when you come across them.

My vote is to leave the questions here.
--
Jim in NC

Don't get me wrong, Jim's comments and knowledge are to my benefit too. I
have no intention to filter any of his messages. I was just trying to get
people to think about the choise of communications channel they use. If
someone has a direct question for Jim, what's so difficult about getting in
touch with him direct?

Rob

Old April 25th 05, 10:03 AM
Leo

Rob,
I queried Jim direct but he didn't respond so I posted to him here as others
do and got a fast reply. I think Jim prefers it that way because an answer
to one individual often satisfies others with the same query who haven't
asked. He kicked my query back with a 'simplify' so you'll have to bear
another post when I re-phrase it.
Happy flying,
Leo

Old April 25th 05, 12:51 PM
jls

"Morgans" wrote in message

[...]

What's so difficult about having questions to Jim Weir answered here for the
benefit of us who would like to learn something? So many of the posts are
a morass of worthless personal invective: complain about those, why don't
you?

Old April 25th 05, 02:29 PM
W P Dixon

Actually,
I read in the old kitplanes article about Jim's Magneto Timer that he
prefers to be asked questions in this forum and not by personal email. I
think it is very fitting as this is a homebuilt newsgroup. Isn't that the
entire point of this newsgroup to find out info on building our airplanes,
and getting useful advice from each other?
I would guess Jim's email is clogged up with biz stuff! I am more than
happy to post a question here for him and wait for him to have time to reply
at his leisure. Heck it may even be called being polite?

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Old April 25th 05, 04:48 PM
Montblack

("Morgans" wrote)
snips
I don't understand 90% of what is being said about the electronics, but I
still enjoy reading about it.

My vote is to leave the questions here.

Agreed, even though my (huh?) number is hovering right around 95%.

I don't think the OP is on the mark, critiquing people for posting questions
for RST Engineering on theses newsgroups - the help solicited from Jim/RST
has been primarily for airplane applications, IIRC.

Somewhat troubling however ...Jim W has branched out into real estate these
days. g

Montblack