Avgas in France has reached $7.50/gal !

Old April 25th 05, 04:13 PM
Matt Barrow

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message
In article , Chris wrote:
Its not just a question of the price at the pump but the cost of the

mile.
This goes a long way to redress the balance between the cost of petrol

and
the taxes. Besides by using at a slower rate, perhaps fuel will be

available
longer.

The future won't be a hydrogen economy (I reckon) - it'll be a diesel
economy.

In the short run maybe, but not over, I'd guess more than 20 years,

It's much easier to convert the diesel infrastructure to use
non-crude oil based fuel than it is to move to a hydrogen economy.

Hmmm...a series of tests by the Univeristy of Colorado a few years ago
indicated the a HUGH proportion of pollution comes from diesels.

Old April 25th 05, 04:17 PM
Matt Barrow

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message
In article , Matt Barrow wrote:
Which is why I put "useful" in quotes. Their engines are not built, I'd
guess, for the speeds or distances involved out here.

Speeds are generally much higher in Europe than the western US.

Have you ever driven the western US? Speed limit is generally 75 and that's
ususally scoffed at. What are speed limits in the rest of Europe other than
the autobahn?

Additionally, take the range of a Volkswagen Jetta TDi - it'll get
around 700 miles off a tank of diesel. It will also give good power in
the mountains, I have friends in Utah who love their TDi. My Dad's last
diesel, a Peugeot, lasted over 350,000 miles.

Americans just don't like diesels. They're better than the junk that came
out 20-25 years ago, but they still sell abysmally other than in the bigger
pickup trucks.

Old April 25th 05, 04:19 PM
Matt Barrow

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
link.net...

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
We do, indeed, have the most dunderheaded legal system ever devised by
man.

Yes, but are you willing to admit that makes YOU a dunderhead? That

is,
will you agree with the French who express their disbelief that people

so
dunderheaded ever spawned men like Thomas Jefferson and John Adams?

Sadly, I suppose, I must indeed share the blame for having done NOTHING

fix our incredibly broken legal system.

I fear nothing short of revolution will clear the decks.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

To be fair, our legal system has always been the way it is now. Most of

the
profits from the Comstock silver bonanza in the 1860's were consumed in
litigation over who owned the claims.

Quite! The "system" is the same, but many more people have learned how to
manipulate and "game" it.

Old April 25th 05, 04:28 PM
Arketip

Matt Barrow wrote:

Have you ever driven the western US? Speed limit is generally 75 and that's
ususally scoffed at. What are speed limits in the rest of Europe other than
the autobahn?

120-130 Km/h or 75-80 miles
Old April 25th 05, 04:35 PM
Matt Barrow

"Arketip" wrote in message
Matt Barrow wrote:

Have you ever driven the western US? Speed limit is generally 75 and

that's
ususally scoffed at. What are speed limits in the rest of Europe other

than
the autobahn?

120-130 Km/h or 75-80 miles

Must have raised them 'cause when I was there (mid 70's and again in the
early 80s) they topped out about 60.

Old April 25th 05, 04:36 PM
Dylan Smith

In article .net, Mike Rapoport wrote:
I recall a statistic that one max weight semi truck caused as much damage as
2300cars over the same road.

IIRC, the road damage goes up at the fourth power of axle weight.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old April 25th 05, 04:51 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , Dave Stadt wrote:
I have time in a Nanching (sp). It is an excellent airplane, solid airframe
and bullet proof engine. I don't see a problem as long as they don't use
Rotax engines.

I think the new Diamonds (DA-40 etc) use either the diesel or a Lycoming
O-360 (rated at 180hp).

Rotax aren't a bad engine manufacturers - you've gotta remember a lot of
their output is inherently less reliable 2-strokes.

The small 4cyl 4stroke fitted to the original Katana I think got a bad
rap mainly because there weren't many mainstream Lyco-Conti mechanics
who were familiar with it. We don't have a similar problem with the
Rotax 91* series engines here where they are more common (indeed, I've
flown behind the turbocharged 914S, and it's a very nice engine making
sea level power up to around 18000 feet, with automatic turbo and
mixture control).

Old April 25th 05, 05:31 PM
Montblack

("Matt Barrow" wrote)
Many Europeans tell us we should drive microcars, but they have no
comprehension of just how big and spread out the US is.

Talking land mass or lard ass? Either way, microcars - no.

Montblack
Old April 25th 05, 07:04 PM
Mike Rapoport

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message
In article , Matt Barrow wrote:
http://www.timbro.com/euvsusa/ (EU vs. USA) by a think tank in Stockholm,
Sweden Read particularly the summary at the bottom and some of he charts
comparing the various EU countries against the US.

The EU will always lag behind the US in productivity - mainly because we
have a shorter working week and a lot more vacation time. Less hours to
work. I think in Germany the usual new employee gets something like 6
weeks paid leave (vs 2 in the US), and works a 35 hr week (vs 40 hrs in
the US).

Personally, I'd rather have the shorter working week and the time off!

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net

I also think that Euope has a higher percentage of retired people than the
US.

Mike
MU-2

Old April 25th 05, 07:37 PM
Chris

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Cute expression - 65,000 equals a city. That's a town, not much more than
a village.

120,000 a metropolitan area - that's just a big town.

What does it take to become a city in the US?

Where do you live, Chris?

not in the US

Soaring near Paris, France (Not Texas :-) [email protected] Soaring 17 November 13th 04 06:39 PM
News from France HECTOP Piloting 12 April 1st 04 01:16 AM
Russia joins France and Germany captain! Military Aviation 12 September 9th 03 09:56 AM
France Bans the Term 'E-Mail' bsh Military Aviation 38 July 26th 03 03:18 PM
"France downplays jet swap with Russia" Mike Military Aviation 8 July 21st 03 05:46 AM