Flying wires

Old June 27th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Flying wires

Just out of curiosity, I notice that all of the Pitts aircraft have
flying and landing wires attached on only the main spars, and the Acro
Sport aircraft have them attached on both the main and rear spars.
From what I have seen, the wings on both aircraft aren't made much

differently, and I can't imagine the stresses ( wing twist ) being any
greater on the Acro Sport than the Pitts. Anyone know offhand why the
extra wires on the Acro Sport? thanks

Neal

Old June 27th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Neal:

The wing on the Pitts is swept while the wing on the Acro Sport (based on
the old Gere Sport) is a straight Hershey bar wing.

Consider how the average location of the lift on the swept wing of the Pitts
is more in line with the wire, or perhaps even in front of it between the
wire and the cabane attach point,... I haven't done the math. But on the
Acro Sport, that average lift location is behind the wire, thereby requiring
a wire on the rear spar to compensate for the twist imparted on the wing
when the fulcrum point is the front spar.

Scott

wrote in message
ups.com...
Just out of curiosity, I notice that all of the Pitts aircraft have
flying and landing wires attached on only the main spars, and the Acro
Sport aircraft have them attached on both the main and rear spars.
From what I have seen, the wings on both aircraft aren't made much