Flying to Mardi Gras?

Old January 11th 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim[_11_]

Default Flying to Mardi Gras?

Who's flown to Mardi Gras, New Orleans?
Which airport, where did you stay, how did you get around?
Would you go again? Why? Why not?
Thanks!
Jim

Old January 11th 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Jim wrote:
Who's flown to Mardi Gras, New Orleans?
Which airport, where did you stay, how did you get around?
Would you go again? Why? Why not?
Thanks!
Jim

KNEW New Orleans Lake Front. I've always used a cab.

I haven't been there since the Hurricane though.

Old January 11th 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bill Watson

Jim wrote:
Who's flown to Mardi Gras, New Orleans?
Which airport, where did you stay, how did you get around?
Would you go again? Why? Why not?
Thanks!
Jim

I've flown down to NO both before and after Katrina (but not for Mardi
Gras). KNEW is the spot. Big airport, real close to the quarter. Take
a cab - especially when there's a party downtown. Get his name and
number and use him on your way out. That works well, especially AK.

The big difference between BK and AK is KNEW had a tower. It was still
out of service when I went months ago so check your NOTAMs. It looked
like the tower had been replaced by a police car parked in the infield
24 hours a day. Dunno. The FBO was up and running just fine while
still recovering

AK, NO is no longer a place to wander around. If you are going to the
quarter, stay there. It was pretty clear to me that law and order for
foreigners on foot is limited to the quarter and private spaces.

If you want a tour of the AK situation for locals and don't otherwise
know anyone, grab your cab driver and he'll probably give you the grand
tour.

It's a great town and I hope it recovers. But the party continues
anyway. Have fun.

Old January 13th 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"Jim" wrote in message
Who's flown to Mardi Gras, New Orleans?
Which airport, where did you stay, how did you get around?
Would you go again? Why? Why not?

I don't know about flying, but my wife and I and other friends go nearly
every year. We've stayed at the Monteleone, but I -really- recommend Place
D'Armes which is right across the street from the cathedral, a half-block
from Royal (where the real essense of Mardi Gras is) and a block from
Bourbon Street. Very secure, and the building is 18th-century; was
supposedly the first public school in New Orleans or something like that.

This will be our third year returning to the PD'A.

If you're on a budget, the LaSalle is inexpensive and it's a short walk to
the Quarter, but the Place D'Armes has two courtyards, a pool, a brunch
buffet, it's rumored to be haunted and has a couple of other interesting
secrets as well. The airport along Lake Ponchartrain (can't remember the
name) is probably best for GA and it's more or less a straight shot to the
Quarter from there, but after the hurricane I don't know the status of the
field or its surroundings.

Bon temps!

-c

Old January 13th 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 16:19:18 -0800, in
, gatt wrote:
The airport along Lake Ponchartrain (can't remember the name) is
probably best for GA and it's more or less a straight shot to the
Quarter from there, but after the hurricane I don't know the status of
the field or its surroundings.

The airport you're thinking of is Lakefront Airport (NEW)... From people
that I've spoken with, it took a pretty good hit during Katrina... While
working on a Navy contract over in New Orleans a couple of years ago, I
bought a house near Slidell Airport (ASD) and would often fly to work
since it was near the Lakefront Airport... Probably didn't really save
that much time, but it was a good excuse to fly and I could park for free
over at Millionair since it was a government contract and they had the
fuel contract for the military... I suspect that ASD probably came out of
Katrina with considerably less damage than Lakefront since it was well
above the flood zone since it is probably the highest point around that
area -- a whole 28 feet ABOVE sea level... From what I heard, the terminal
building had 4-5 ft of flooding from the storm surge... Even if the levees
hadn't been breached, it wouldn't have made a difference since Lakefront
is outside the levees... Some of the companies nearby, but on the other
side of the levee from Lakefront have still not been rebuilt... The dive
shop that I used to use over on Hayne Blvd (Aquatic & Outdoor Adventures
http://www.thescubaco.net) still has their web page down and their phone
number has a phone company disconnected recording on it... I guess they
decided to not rebuild...