magnetos

Old January 18th 04, 06:02 PM
Frank

Default magnetos

I need a source for SLN4-20,21 mags; new or used. Any ideas, suggestions?
Old January 18th 04, 07:30 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article 8,
Frank wrote:

I need a source for SLN4-20,21 mags; new or used. Any ideas, suggestions?

Try:

Aircraft Spruce 1-877-477-7823 or
Savage Magneto, on Oakland, CA.

Unfortunately, I don't ahve Savage's number habdy.
Old January 19th 04, 05:23 AM
Frank

Thanks, but I have been to the major sources, like google, ebay and major
aircraft suppliers. I was hoping for some one with a secret stash or
supplier. I need 2 good magnets, rebuildable cores or new or used mags for
an O320. AD's don't you know.
Old January 19th 04, 05:04 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article 8,
Frank wrote:

Thanks, but I have been to the major sources, like google, ebay and major
aircraft suppliers. I was hoping for some one with a secret stash or
supplier. I need 2 good magnets, rebuildable cores or new or used mags for
an O320. AD's don't you know.

Frank:

The SF-4s area very heavy mag and still have the old bee's wax coils,
which are susceptible to moisture, although they can be baked dry and
recoated with wax.

I have to use SF-6s, which are pretty reliable, but over the years, I
have seen both coil and condenser degradation. If I had a choice, I
would like to go with something more modern.
Old January 19th 04, 05:40 PM
Ron Natalie

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message newsrfairbairn_spam_sucks-

I have to use SF-6s, which are pretty reliable, but over the years, I
have seen both coil and condenser degradation. If I had a choice, I
would like to go with something more modern.

Tell me about it. I've got 2 SF6N and 3 SL6N -50, -51's here that all
have flaky coils. Believe me, if Slick had made a mag for the blasted
engine, it would have been on there in a heartbeat.

Old January 20th 04, 04:10 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Ron Natalie" wrote:

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
newsrfairbairn_spam_sucks-

I have to use SF-6s, which are pretty reliable, but over the years, I
have seen both coil and condenser degradation. If I had a choice, I
would like to go with something more modern.

Tell me about it. I've got 2 SF6N and 3 SL6N -50, -51's here that all
have flaky coils. Believe me, if Slick had made a mag for the blasted
engine, it would have been on there in a heartbeat.

Go down to your hardware store and get a couple of cakes of beeswax.

Put the coils on some aluminum foil (opened up) and bake them for 2-3
hours at 250 deg. that should boil off any residual moisture,

Then melt the beeswax in a pan and dip the coils in the wax, so the
coils are completely covered. Scrape the metal electrode clean of wax.

The coils should work fine, now.

Another item that likes to fail is the capacitor, which is available
from Aircraft Spruce.