A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Canopy Ejection and Canopy Lanyard

Old April 11th 16, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Canopy Ejection and Canopy Lanyard

Does anyone un-secure their canopy lanyard prior to take off? Just wondering if the lanyard would break during a canopy ejection or if the lanyard would cause the canopy to whirl about and pop the pilot in the head. Mine and others I've seen have a clip on at least one end.
Old April 12th 16, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

It will break. Believe me.
Old April 12th 16, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, April 11, 2016 at 8:24:36 PM UTC-4, wrote:

My first inclination is that it will break, but then I look at the development of the Roeger Hook. How many gliders were manufactured with front hinged canopies prior to the Roeger Hook? Then I think of how slow a glider may be traveling in a flat spin or whatever. There are not that many bail outs and it just takes one pilot to get hit in the head.

I think its a valid question, as well as valid to the sequence to a bail out. Does everyone use a static line on their chute in case of hit unconscious before clearing glider? And is the sequence to unbuckle then jettison canopy or vice versa? The stories I've read about those bailing out is jettison canopy first. I have heard to put hands over head and push on canopy, but from what I've read, this is to ensure suction release of canopy and not really for head protection. In training or any other articles, does anyone iterate to push up on canopy and protect head?

Old April 12th 16, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 7:57:24 AM UTC-4, Casey wrote:
On Monday, April 11, 2016 at 8:24:36 PM UTC-4, wrote:

My first inclination is that it will break, but then I look at the development of the Roeger Hook. How many gliders were manufactured with front hinged canopies prior to the Roeger Hook? Then I think of how slow a glider may be traveling in a flat spin or whatever. There are not that many bail outs and it just takes one pilot to get hit in the head.

I think its a valid question, as well as valid to the sequence to a bail out. Does everyone use a static line on their chute in case of hit unconscious before clearing glider? And is the sequence to unbuckle then jettison canopy or vice versa? The stories I've read about those bailing out is jettison canopy first. I have heard to put hands over head and push on canopy, but from what I've read, this is to ensure suction release of canopy and not really for head protection. In training or any other articles, does anyone iterate to push up on canopy and protect head?

Tip I learned from Roy Cundiff. Cross your arms when lifting the canopy so as not to get hit in the face like he did.
Canopy first, then belts.
UH
Old April 12th 16, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]
external usenet poster

Why not belts first then canopy. If canopy hits pilot in the head and knocks unconscious then may have chance to fall out of glider and static line pull chute handle. Do glider pilots use static line on chute or is this an aerobatic thing?
Old April 12th 16, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 7:27:59 AM UTC-7, Casey wrote:
Why not belts first then canopy. If canopy hits pilot in the head and knocks unconscious then may have chance to fall out of glider and static line pull chute handle. Do glider pilots use static line on chute or is this an aerobatic thing?

If you release belts first, you may be thrown or pinned by rotation in such a way that the canopy levers can't be reached. You may also be blown through the canopy without release! I don't use a static line as I want the ability to decide if I am clear of wreckage before I pull.

Matt
Old April 12th 16, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]
external usenet poster

Though the Stemme S10 did not originally come equipped with a rear canopy leash for it's double wide wind sail canopy, most owners quickly add them to prevent the otherwise almost certain hinge damage.

I *always* removed the canopy attach end of mine before flight. To make this step go easier, I threaded the end of the cord through a short length of flexible tubing and then tied the cord end back around to make the tubing into a snug loop on the rear canopy handle.

Better to have the canopy go away clean than than take the risk.

bumper
ZZ
MKIV yaw string and Quiet Vent
Minden