Gyrocopter Speed

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 24th 05, 07:25 AM
Mark

Default Gyrocopter Speed

I have some basic questions about speeds of gyrocopters.

(Please forgive me if my questions are kind of basic. I'm currently working
on my private pilot for airplanes, with long term goal of getting into
gyros. I have a few hours time in gyros, but not enough yet to know what
I'm talking about.)

Why is there such a wide range of max/cruise speeds for gyros? I notice a
Barnett BRC540 2 place cruises at 110 with a top speed of 138.
An RAF Cruises at 70 with a max of 100.
Most single places seem to cruise between 45 and 80.

Why aren't there more fast single place gyros?

Other than a bigger engine, why can a Barnett go 138 compared to RAF's 100?
What characteristics give it the stability to safely go faster? And why
wouldn't they design those characteristics into other gyros?

If I have a design of a stable gyro that cruises at 50, what would prevent
me from safely adding a bigger engine, re-doing my hang test, and flying at
80 (for example).

If I build a gyro from a kit or plans, when I fly it how can I tell when I'm
going faster than I safely should? (Other than reading designer's specs.)
Do all gyros have a characteristic "feel" when getting to the edge?

Landing and T/O distances (Was Cold War ALternate Basing) Guy Alcala Military Aviation 3 August 13th 04 12:18 PM
Va and turbulent air penetration speed. Doug Instrument Flight Rules 70 January 11th 04 09:35 PM
Va and turbulent air penetration speed. Doug Owning 69 January 11th 04 09:35 PM
Speed Astir Guy Acheson Soaring 0 December 11th 03 03:24 AM
New Film: The Need For Speed - Going to war on drugs Phil Carpenter Military Aviation 0 July 23rd 03 07:43 AM