Texas Balloon Accident, Medicals, and Possible Impacts on CommercialGlider Operations

Old December 29th 16, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default Texas Balloon Accident, Medicals, and Possible Impacts on CommercialGlider Operations

I am sure that you are familiar with the July 30th tragic balloon accident in Texas that killed all 15 passengers and the pilot. The NTSB report is here https://dms.ntsb.gov/pubdms/search/h...=0&TXTSEARCHT=. A synopsis is at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_L..._balloon_crash.

Of special reading is the NTSB toxicology report which is particularly damning for this particular pilot. See https://www.google.com/search?q=texa...utf-8&oe=utf-8 for some "Google" details.

The toxicology is important because, as I understand it, Balloon commercial operators are not required to hold a medical. I was talking recently to a commercial balloon operator friend of mine who is very plugged into this for obvious reasons. As I understand it, it is very likely that commercial balloon operators will be required to have medicals (of unknown class). He also said that during testimony the question was raised what other commercial aircraft operations do not require medicals. Glider operations was mentioned.

The implication is that if Balloon commercial operators be required to obtain medicals, then our glider commercial operations *MAY* also be required to obtain medicals.
Old December 31st 16, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Sad story, I'm not sure if a medical would have helped this situation.
It would have only ensured the pilot was ok at the exam.

What might help would be limits on if you have more that x% of drug Y in your system, you are not fit for PIC.

If this is a self judgement issue until the accident investigation issue, then there might be room for improvement in the rules?

Old December 31st 16, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

The FAA knew about this guy's DWI convictions three years before the accident, and they did not ground him.

I'll do a google search "flight_instructor_name conviction" before my next Flight Review.

Hot Air Balloon - hot air balloon.jpg (1/1) (25KB) Norm DePlume Aviation Photos 0 February 16th 09 04:52 PM
Accident at La Port Texas Danny Deger Piloting 2 June 6th 08 06:19 PM
Banner Plane Impacts Water w/ photo Owen Piloting 21 August 11th 06 09:32 PM
Medicals and LSA doc Piloting 3 November 19th 04 06:48 AM
"CV-22: Impacts of Performance on Cost Effectiveness" Mike Military Aviation 1 March 18th 04 04:33 PM