Engine Questions

Old January 21st 04, 04:11 AM
Richard Lamb

Morgans wrote:

"Marvin Barnard" wrote

No engine design ever built even comes close to the aftermarket
development data, performance data, endurance data, cost economics, and
parts availablility as the type 1 VW. ..........None.

Cough cough, sputter, cough.

Is there a full loon, err- moon out?
--
Jim in NC

Well, I guess in the general sense he is right.

There are skads of after market stuff for VW Street Use builders

But for an aero engine, there's only Great Plains.

Richard

I hate it when it goes Cough cough, sputter, cough.
Old January 21st 04, 04:12 AM
Richard Lamb

Ron Webb wrote:

Everything you ever wanted to know about Corvair engines
http://www.flycorvair.com/

I've read that Bernie Pietenpol never used anything else after he tried one
on a Piet. Forged crank, been flying since the early '60's. Nobody has ever
seen a cracked jug or broken crank. Much smoother than a 4 cylinder. Lots of
really cheap parts available from
http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/pages.cgi?category=home

I picked up a running Corvair engine for $50, Machined a prop hub, and that
was all that was needed to get one running on my airboat. Not optimum, but
good enough to work. You can spend a lot of money, or almost none at all.

Does that Corvair on your air boat have a forged crank?
Old January 21st 04, 05:02 AM
Ron Webb

Does that Corvair on your air boat have a forged crank?

I'm told that every Corvair engine ever made has a forged crank. Can't say
with my own eyes - since I never cracked the case.

Old January 21st 04, 09:56 AM
RU ok

"Morgans" wrote:

"Marvin Barnard" wrote

No engine design ever built even comes close to the aftermarket
development data, performance data, endurance data, cost economics, and
parts availablility as the type 1 VW. ..........None.

Cough cough, sputter, cough.

Is there a full loon, err- moon out?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Do the math....

January 21 = NEW MOON = New Loons

Barnyard BOb --

Old January 21st 04, 01:02 PM
Marvin Barnard

I'm an old loon. And a VW nut as well!

Old January 21st 04, 02:46 PM
Bill A.

Try Barnstormers.com, Trade-a-Plane, and Ebaymotors.com for old
Continentals. We just found one, an A-65 we can convert to A-80, nearby
for just over 1k and will put about 2k in it for rebuild. For 3k you

can't
beat it. Subarus will work too, as someone suggested. You probably

need
a redrive for a high-turning Soob engine. Corvair engines are plentiful
and parts are not hard to find. And believe or not there are plenty of

old
A-Model Ford engines, but I don't know the price. I'll ask a friend who
just bought one.

I do recall an A-65-powered Piet with a big lead weight bolted to the

front
of the engine. I wouldn't want that so when you build the Piet designed
for the heavy Ford engine, you have to be careful about W&B.

When I first read about lightwieght engines on the Piet I also
thought of a front end counter wieght
but I was thinking more along the lines of beefing up the firewall
with maybe a heavier gauge metal
covering.

Just keep shaking the bushes and you will find it. Get somebody to send
you the old articles from Mechanix Illustrated where Bernie Pietenpol said
he could have you flying for about $500 and you'll be sold. Or was that
$200? 50?

Old January 21st 04, 04:32 PM
RU ok

(Marvin Barnard) wrote:

I'm an old loon. And a VW nut as well!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My condolences to your family. g

Next full moon convention...
February 6, 2004

P.S.
I respect your unflappable style, Marvin.

Barnyard BOb

Old January 22nd 04, 12:47 AM
Marvin Barnard

Wow! Now I'm really compressed! All the auto conversion guru's
trying to win your respect for so long, are gonna be jealous!.......;-)

Old January 22nd 04, 04:27 AM
RU ok

(Marvin Barnard) wrote:

Wow! Now I'm really compressed! All the auto conversion guru's
trying to win your respect for so long, are gonna be jealous!.......;-)

And they should be jealous. It's pretty neat to see
someone maintain poise under fire when their passion
is tickled by someone as obnoxious as yours truly. g

So....
Let the others take a flying fornicate at a rolling pastry,
if it causes their knickers to knot up.

Ya done good, Marvin. Too many doods are running
around here lately with short wicks. Of course, it wasn't
so bad when it was just me... naturally. big grin

Barnyard BOb - too many curmudgeons spoil the broth