Dear Burt

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 3rd 05, 04:06 PM

Default Dear Burt

Thought this was an opportunity to start what might be an interesting
thread regarding soaring instruction. Using your aside as a
springboard, I'll ask the group: "Is soaring instruction adequate to
produce safe, knowledgable soaring pilots." I bring this up, first to
echo Burt's observation of the RAS penchant for mis-information, and as
an opportunity to point out to Burt that the contributors to this
group are the product of soaring instruction.

During my 10-year tenure as a CFIG, I was astounded by the lack of
knowledge and skill demonstrated by FAA certified glider pilots. And
even more astounded by the lack of knowledge demonstrated by some CFIs.
For example, I found that most glider pilots are unable to slip a
sailplane (if we measure competency as the ability to differentiate the
uses of a slip and maintain directional control and speed). I also
found that many pilots demonstrated a marked inability to maintain
coordination at critically low airspeeds, were unable to clearly and
quickly name the signs of an impending stall, and failed to observe
many of them while practicing flight at MCA.

I'm not saddling a high horse here... as an instructor I stressed over
how much a student needed to know versus the need to let him go keep
learning for himself. However, the lack of knowledge demonstrated by
many pilots exceeds what might be forgotten over the course of a season
or two of inactivity, pointing instead to a poorly laid foundation.

Teaching others to fly is a privelege... but carries with it a solemn
responsibility. Are instructors, in part, to blame for the
mis-information we see on RAS? Is it a matter of poor instructors, or
is it possible that the standards used for teaching are inadequate?

Dear Denise [email protected] Soaring 0 February 3rd 05 03:22 PM
From "Dear Oracle" Larry Smith Home Built 0 December 27th 03 04:25 AM
Dear Jack - Elevator Turbulator tape question Dave Martin Soaring 2 October 14th 03 08:11 PM
Burt Rutan "pissed off" Tarver Engineering Military Aviation 22 September 3rd 03 04:10 AM
Burt Rutan Dudley Henriques Military Aviation 0 August 23rd 03 07:03 PM