PowerFlarm offers new Version, PowerFlarm Fusion Includes Many newstandard Features!

Old November 10th 20, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default PowerFlarm offers new Version, PowerFlarm Fusion Includes Manynew standard Features!

On 11/10/20 9:22 AM, Mike Schumann wrote:
On Tuesday, November 10, 2020 at 10:11:36 AM UTC-6, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Dan Marotta wrote on 11/10/2020 7:31 AM:
On 11/10/20 6:14 AM, wrote:
So, to see a UAT equipped aircraft with a 1090 receiver you need to be close to an aircraft
with 1090 in/out. Most reliable way to do this is to put adsb 1090 in/out on your glider.

To be seen by that UAT equipped aircraft, same answer.

With adsb out on the glider and the flarm core 1090 rx, the only issue I'm seeing is latency
in the ground relay system.

It will be really neat if a flarm core s/w upgrade adds UAT rx, or turns on all of the h/w in
the box, especially the second flarm transmitter. Lacking that, instead of switching to a
new flarm box, would it be better to put the money into adsb out?

That said, if I was adding flarm, the new one looks nice.

If you have an experimental glider and a Trig transponder, it only costs around $400 to add a
TN-72 GPS and antenna. That gives you dual ADS-B Out. With the addition of a Stratux receiver
$150-250 depending upon whether you assemble it yourself or buy a preassembled and tested unit,
you get dual ADS-B In. I have that in my gyroplane. I use a TN-70 in the Stemme since it has
Standard certification.

Flarm receives the ADS-B signals and my ClearNav II and Flarmview display targets. In the gyro
I use an iPad with FlyQ. Works great in both!

How does the Stratux connect to CN II and Flarmview? I like the size of the Scout, but I think
it only works with Foreflight, which I don't use.

pingUSB is the same size as Scout, but works with almost all apps. Only downside is that it is a traffic only dual frequency ADS-B receiver (no weather). The cost is $175.

Thanks for that. The Stratux brings in weather and TFRs in addition to
traffic, maybe other stuff, but those are all I care about.

--
Dan
5J
Old November 11th 20, 03:48 AM
Delta8 Delta8 is offline
Member

Location: Pa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Marotta View Post
On 11/10/20 6:14 AM, wrote:
[...]

I use an I phone/ Foreflight ,Crew Dog Stratux with ear buds and get audio verbal collision avoidance . Also have a glide Ameba set up for conservative 30/1 . AHRS too but needs to be calibrated on the ground before takeoff .

I don't have Flarm just yet but soon hopefully
Old November 19th 20, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

According to Flarm the New Fusion transmits and receives on both A and B Flarm Antennas.

http://www.craggyaero.com/fusion.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old November 19th 20, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Flarm also says the Core 1.1 transmits on both antennas. But I have not yet heard that they have FCC approval for that. In the interim, they can't transmit on the B antenna in North America.

Old November 19th 20, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 6:48:39 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Flarm also says the Core 1.1 transmits on both antennas. But I have not yet heard that they have FCC approval for that. In the interim, they can't transmit on the B antenna in North America.

Flarm says that the PowerFlarm core does not transmit on both antennas in the USA. It does in Europe.

I just sent another email to Flarm asking.

Does the Flarm Fusion transmit and receive on both A and B antennas in the USA with FCC approval?

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old November 19th 20, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

On 11/18/20 4:41 PM, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
According to Flarm the New Fusion transmits and receives on both A and B Flarm Antennas.

http://www.craggyaero.com/fusion.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

That looks to me like you can buy a license to activate the "B" antenna.
Isn't that like buying a license to active the passenger side seat
belt in a car? Or the rear brakes?

--
Dan
5J
Old November 19th 20, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

On 11/19/2020 11:12 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 11/18/20 4:41 PM, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
According to Flarm the New Fusion transmits and receives on both A and
B Flarm Antennas.

http://www.craggyaero.com/fusion.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

That looks to me like you can buy a license to activate the "B" antenna.
Â*Isn't that like buying a license to active the passenger side seat
belt in a car?Â* Or the rear brakes?

Maybe if you pay extra they'll sell you the feature where it keeps on
working after the firmware "expires"? (As long as the data packets are
still compatible.)

Old November 19th 20, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Moshe Braner wrote on 11/19/2020 9:31 AM:
On 11/19/2020 11:12 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 11/18/20 4:41 PM, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
According to Flarm the New Fusion transmits and receives on both A and B Flarm Antennas.

http://www.craggyaero.com/fusion.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

That looks to me like you can buy a license to activate the "B" antenna. **Isn't that like
buying a license to active the passenger side seat belt in a car?* Or the rear brakes?

Maybe if you pay extra they'll sell you the feature where it keeps on working after the
firmware "expires"?* (As long as the data packets are still compatible.)

Dan: We have no choice about seat belts and brakes, which are mandated by law. Do you want to
go there with PowerFlarm? :^(

Dan: Buying a license for an optional feature (also known as "buying an optional feature") is
like buying the "primo" optional interior for your new car, except you can do it anytime, even
years after the purchase, unlike that fancy interior. Would you rather they included everything
that is now optional, and charged you for it, instead letting you pay for only what you need?

Moshe: They give me the updates FREE anytime I want one. I'm not going to whine about the 10
minutes it takes me to read the update instructions and load it into the glider. The present
system seems like a good compromise: all units are no more than 1 year behind in capability, at
no $ cost, and very little time and effort. As pilots, we are required to "update" our gliders
every year with an inspection, to "update" the pilot every two years with a flight review, to
keep our charts and database current yearly or less, to "update" our parachute every 180 days -
I think we should expect a pilot to also handle updating Flarm!

Old November 19th 20, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 11/19/20 11:21 AM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Moshe Braner wrote on 11/19/2020 9:31 AM:
On 11/19/2020 11:12 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 11/18/20 4:41 PM, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
According to Flarm the New Fusion transmits and receives on both A
and B Flarm Antennas.

http://www.craggyaero.com/fusion.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

That looks to me like you can buy a license to activate the "B"
antenna. Â*Â*Isn't that like buying a license to active the passenger
side seat belt in a car?Â* Or the rear brakes?

Maybe if you pay extra they'll sell you the feature where it keeps on
working after the firmware "expires"?Â* (As long as the data packets
are still compatible.)

[...]

I think Dan was talking about paying extra to turn on features, such as
audio output jack, IGC logging, ENL for IGC logging, using the B
antenna, etc. This new PowerFlarm makes that stuff standard, rather
than an la carte.

The documentation provided by Richard shows the flarm B antenna being
usable as standard, but as a receive only antenna. I expect it can
transmit, but only if the FCC ever approves that.