Question on Owner Produced Interior parts

Old July 15th 04, 06:47 PM
gatt

Crap...meant to post this to the group. Sorry for the private mail, Orval.

The FARs specify "equivalent or better," so it should be a no-brainer to
substitute .010 Aluminum for plastic. As for titanium, I can think of a
few applications, but the stuff is really a bitch to work!

....and heavier than aluminum. A titanium instrument panel would rule,
though. Scrap Ti is available from the Boeing surplus in Seattle.

Another very lightweight option is Lexan plastic, which is available in
Portland at TAP Plastics. A 1/2" thickness will stop most small-arms fire
but it doesn't flex well. This is what they use for bulletproofing cockpit
bulkheads now, by the way.

My RobotWars days are coming back to me.

-gatt

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"NW_PILOT" wrote:

I was reading on http://150cessna.tripod.com about owner
manufactured parts. I was wondering if I could make my own interior
parts? For example change plastic parts to aluminum, or titanium
such as the plastic instrument bezels, mike holder ECT.

I have access to a really nice machine shop, CNC equipment, laser
cutter's and etchers ect. I can almost make/help make any plastic
part on the inside of the airplane out of aluminum or titanium.

Any advice on this!

The FARs specify "equivalent or better," so it should be a no-brainer to
substitute .010 Aluminum for plastic. As for titanium, I can think of a
few applications, but the stuff is really a bitch to work!

Get a friendly AI and fill out some 337s.

Old July 15th 04, 08:35 PM
NW_PILOT

"James M. Knox" wrote in message
2...
Bill Zaleski wrote in
:

The FAR's do NOT specify "equivelant or better". Owner produced parts
must conform to the original specifications and production processes.
You are not allowed to make an aircraft part "better" unless you
obtain an STC or field approval. Owner produced parts do not require
a 337, as they are not major repairs or alterations.

True for a wheel strut, but you would be amazed at how much "decorative
trim" there is in the interior. G

That's my point decorative trim, there are things like Bezels, overlays,
seatbelt holders, mike holders, foot pads on the carpet, fuel selector
placecard on the carpet, plastic seat backs, dash eyebrow's and many other
trim items that are flimsy brittle plastic that dull out and break. With
today's technology on alloys almost the same thing could be made out of
another material it may weigh few grams more than stock and it will be a lot
stronger and will last longer saving me a lot of money in future replacement
parts. As another post said most all of these materials can be found as
surpluss "scrap" for very little money andf only thing lost would be my time
for making the part and I know I have more time than money.

Old July 15th 04, 09:15 PM
Newps

Bill Denton wrote:
But it would probably be a good idea to give your insurance policy a
thorough read before you use any non-standard parts.

It may be just a rinky-dink arm rest bracket, but if your policy calls for
original factory equipment they can refuse to pay, even if the part in no
way contributed to the accident or subsequent damages.

That's pure crap. Having been thru an insurance claim and seeing many
others on the field do likewise it's fairly painless to total an
airplane or even just get a large payout. The insurance company will
send a rep out to look at the wreckage. Assuming you didn't add another
wing somewhere just for the hell of it you can expect to be paid off in
less than 30 days.

Old July 15th 04, 11:26 PM
Dave Stadt

"Bill Denton" wrote in message
But it would probably be a good idea to give your insurance policy a
thorough read before you use any non-standard parts.

It may be just a rinky-dink arm rest bracket, but if your policy calls for
original factory equipment they can refuse to pay, even if the part in no
way contributed to the accident or subsequent damages.

If somebody buys insurance that is that restrictive they deserve it. I
doubt your scenario has ever come into play. If it has please cite.

Old July 16th 04, 05:40 AM
NW_PILOT

Hello, every one well my first custom gps/cup holder mount was temporary
fitted today after an ok from my A&P/IA as no holes were needed to be
drilled in to the aircraft this mount replaced the brittle and cracked mike
mount.

Link to RAM mount cup Holder
http://rammount.com/ramwebcompthumb/ramb132b.jpg

6 hours of work went in to drawing up, and hand shaping drilling and taping
this little piece of alloy,

Here is the mount with RAM Mount ball installed ready for any ram-mount 1"
ball attachment,
http://www.warflying.net/gps2/m5.JPG

Here is the GPS On the mount,
http://www.warflying.net/gps2/m11.JPG

GPS with universal ram mount
http://www.warflying.net/smap/smap1.jpg &
http://www.warflying.net/smap/smap2.jpg

Cessna Seat Rail Mount
http://www.warflying.net/smap/smap3.jpg

http://www.warflying.net/smap/smap4.jpg

As you can see the seat rail mount with the 12" flex arm is to long and
interferes with the power controls I think a 9" flex arm would bring it down
to a nice level but then it would be in your legs not good. nice mount
though holds secure and great quality product may put it behind the seat and
use the 1/2" hole for a cam corder mount.
http://www.warflying.net/smap/smap5.jpg &
http://www.warflying.net/smap/smap7.jpg