A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

New House Thermal

Old August 12th 17, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult
external usenet poster

Default New House Thermal

On Friday, July 21, 2017 at 4:14:17 PM UTC+3, wrote:
So, when will we see solar powered solar cell factories?

A great question for @elonmusk
Old August 14th 17, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 4:23:32 AM UTC-4, wrote:
The Treasure Coast Soaring Club will soon have a new house thermal. Florida Power And Light is in the process of building a 400 acre solar power plant within 3/4 mile from our airport. Heat from this type of farm should make for a great house thermal. Anyone out there with experience flying over solar farms? Thanks, Bob

Well, I guess some people don't quiet get it, Yes, there will be a thermal created by the solar farm! Yesterday I flew the Gorilla over the solar array and yes there was a substantial thermal being generated by the array. I guess I can conclude that heat goes up. After testing the panels on top of the hangar I already know the temp difference and once again heat goes up! Maybe it is the poor technique of thermal identification and centering that some of these people are having problems with. Bob
Old August 14th 17, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew
external usenet poster

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 11:03:19 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Not necessarily! A solar farm in Texas verses a solar farm in Florida does not compare.

It's not the temperature it reaches so much as the temperature it differentiates from its surrounding area that will trigger a thermal. In Texas, especially Uvalde, the soil is dry and typically very hot. Quite the opposite in Florida, where it's much greener and wet. If that solar farm is surrounded by forest, crops or wetlands, then it would absolutely produce a sufficient thermal.

I think Robert has hit upon a key point when comparing where the reports of limited thermal generation by solar arrays are coming from. As I mentioned earlier, these panels are replacing 400 acres of groves and will be surrounded by crops, fields, and orange groves year-round.

We know there are some key spots south of SLGP to grab a thermal off of the metal roofs of some of the modern, modular schools. I was surprised at how little surface area of metal it took to create a good 4-6kt core when flying as backseat ballast with Dave Nadler at Seniors this year. My gut says we'll be happy with the solar farm's proximity to New Hibiscus Airpark. My vario certainly was happy last week flying over the south end where the first panels were mounted. 399.8 acres to go...

The reports will be in soon enough and the results may very well differ by time of year due to the angle of the sun and the fixed orientation of the panels facing south-southwest. Until proved otherwise, I'm optimistic that it will be a good location for the afternoon launch to get up and out.

Paul A.
Old August 20th 17, 09:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 4:23:32 AM UTC-4, wrote:
The Treasure Coast Soaring Club will soon have a new house thermal. Florida Power And Light is in the process of building a 400 acre solar power plant within 3/4 mile from our airport. Heat from this type of farm should make for a great house thermal. Anyone out there with experience flying over solar farms? Thanks, Bob

Yesterday, Saturday August 19, the solar farm is rapidly becoming filled with panels. There was a very interesting formation of a big booming cloud directly above the solar farm. I found one of the best thermals of the day being set off by that 400 acres of black panels.