Temporarily operating a German registered glider in the US

Old November 19th 13, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Temporarily operating a German registered glider in the US

Dear US-gliding community,

it seems likely that I am going to spend about 2 year in the US (NJ area) starting next spring and I would like to bring my German registered glider along. Given it is for 2 years only, I would like to keep the ship under its German flag and keep any changes to glider and trailer to a minimum. This raises a couple of questions and I am hoping that some folks out here can provide some guidance

1) Import duties/taxes: Is there a procedure that exempts me from or minimizes US import taxes/duties? (I would bring it into the country as part of my household belongings, I paid full VAT in Germany on the ship and I do intend to bring it back and not to leave it in the US...) Uli Kremer of Schleicher mentioned a "carnet" but that would only cover 1 year after which the glider would have to leave the US again. Any thoughts?

2) Insurance: Does anybody have recent experience with an insurance that covers a D-glider within the US? Mine seems a bit reluctant....

3) Trailer: Unsurprisingly, the towing hitch and electric connection between the German trailer and US cars are not directly compatible. I am perfectly willing to exchange the hitch at the trailer itself for a US hitch but is there a way or adapter that "bridges" the electrical systems and allows legal traffic operations in the US?

4) Annual inspection: I am tempted to put the glider on a CAMO+ regime which only requires a physical inspection every 3rd year unless someone here is telling me that there is a D-Inspector (Pruefer Klasse 3) living in the East coast area.

Any fact based ideas? When I searched this forum, I did find some older bits and pieces, in particular from a "Thorsten" im CA and a "Michael" in PA who might already have mastered this little challenge but I couldn't find their personal contacts.

Any help or contacts are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance and best regards
Marc
Old November 19th 13, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:57:58 AM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

Marc,

For any number of reasons you may want to register your glider here in the US:

You might possibly decide to sell the glider after your assignment is over, saving the transportation cost back home.
You might find yourself extending your stay because you like it here (I was on a 2 year assignment some 25 years ago, also from Germany). Your visa is probably good for 5 years.
Shipping the glider is easy, ask Cobra for help, they also have contacts to a broker at the port of entry (probably Baltimore).
Likely no import or customs fees, don't know a a temporary import. Hell, you might even get your Mehrwertsteuer back if you export permanently.
No problem getting an "Experimental Exhibition and Racing" airworthiness certificate. With that, you have an easier time doing small repairs and installations on your glider.
Annual inspection is just will be as for any US-based glider, your glider club here will have contacts.
Trailer: have the conversion to a 2" ball and electrical system done or do it yourself. That way, anyone in your club can tow the trailer, comes in handy.
Insurance: Costello is the insurance broker of choice for most of us here, look them up and send an email. They will be glad to insure you. I'm paying $1,400 annually for a $65,000 hull value on a $1,000,000 policy.

Email me directly if you have other questions, in German if you prefer.
Herb, J7
Old November 19th 13, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glider RN

On the electrical wiring for the trailer, I have had good success connecting a Cobra trailer with US GM and Mercedes cars using the low cost converter # 118158 from etrailer.com [ http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...dy/118158.html ]

This requires no changes to the trailer or tow vehicle and is simple to assemble with a plug, socket, and some wire.
Old November 19th 13, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:49:06 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:57:58 AM UTC-6, wrote: Dear US-gliding community, it seems likely that I am going to spend about 2 year in the US (NJ area) starting next spring and I would like to bring my German registered glider along. Given it is for 2 years only, I would like to keep the ship under its German flag and keep any changes to glider and trailer to a minimum. This raises a couple of questions and I am hoping that some folks out here can provide some guidance 1) Import duties/taxes: Is there a procedure that exempts me from or minimizes US import taxes/duties? (I would bring it into the country as part of my household belongings, I paid full VAT in Germany on the ship and I do intend to bring it back and not to leave it in the US...) Uli Kremer of Schleicher mentioned a "carnet" but that would only cover 1 year after which the glider would have to leave the US again. Any thoughts? 2) Insurance: Does anybody have recent experience with an insurance that covers a D-glider within the US? Mine seems a bit reluctant.... 3) Trailer: Unsurprisingly, the towing hitch and electric connection between the German trailer and US cars are not directly compatible. I am perfectly willing to exchange the hitch at the trailer itself for a US hitch but is there a way or adapter that "bridges" the electrical systems and allows legal traffic operations in the US? 4) Annual inspection: I am tempted to put the glider on a CAMO+ regime which only requires a physical inspection every 3rd year unless someone here is telling me that there is a D-Inspector (Pruefer Klasse 3) living in the East coast area. Any fact based ideas? When I searched this forum, I did find some older bits and pieces, in particular from a "Thorsten" im CA and a "Michael" in PA who might already have mastered this little challenge but I couldn't find their personal contacts. Any help or contacts are much appreciated. Thanks in advance and best regards Marc Marc, For any number of reasons you may want to register your glider here in the US: You might possibly decide to sell the glider after your assignment is over, saving the transportation cost back home. You might find yourself extending your stay because you like it here (I was on a 2 year assignment some 25 years ago, also from Germany). Your visa is probably good for 5 years. Shipping the glider is easy, ask Cobra for help, they also have contacts to a broker at the port of entry (probably Baltimore). Likely no import or customs fees, don't know a a temporary import. Hell, you might even get your Mehrwertsteuer back if you export permanently. No problem getting an "Experimental Exhibition and Racing" airworthiness certificate. With that, you have an easier time doing small repairs and installations on your glider. Annual inspection is just will be as for any US-based glider, your glider club here will have contacts. Trailer: have the conversion to a 2" ball and electrical system done or do it yourself. That way, anyone in your club can tow the trailer, comes in handy. Insurance: Costello is the insurance broker of choice for most of us here, look them up and send an email. They will be glad to insure you. I'm paying $1,400 annually for a $65,000 hull value on a $1,000,000 policy. Email me directly if you have other questions, in German if you prefer. Herb, J7

It would be wise to check carefully about registering. I have 2 friends who are not US citizens that have their gliders registered to wife or kid because wife or hid is a citizen and they are not. Apparently the FAA won't issue a US registration to a non citizen.
Anyone with more knowledge please feel free to correct what I have said here.
UH
Old November 19th 13, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Herb, Glider RN, and UH,

first of all, thanks "Glider RN" for your pragmatic solution to the electric trailer problem and thanks to you "Herb" and "UH" for thinking about the pros and caveats of a possible US registration. Yet, I do want to keep the glider D-registered (it is really only for 2 years, and re-registering incl.. sanding off the D-registration from the thin Acrylic cover paint and redoing it all again in 2 years is out of the question, the ship will sail back to Germany after these 2 year...). I appreciate all good intended thinking about an N-registration, but I fear I am a lost cause in respect to that and that this post becomes a discussion on D vs N registrations.

Having said that, I am still keen on any additional advice on the original questions (the trailer question seems already solved by "Glider RN")

@Herb: What is your email? I tried to reply directly but not sure if that worked

Thanks and best
Marc

Old November 19th 13, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Registered Resident Aliens can legally register aircraft in Los Estados Unidos.
Otherwise if you can find a German inspector, go for it.
Jim
Old November 19th 13, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Many of us in the US wire our cars to take standard european trailer plugs. All the US suppliers will sell you the adapter, and most cars now come with a place in the light system where you can patch in to the wiring.

John Cochrane
Old November 19th 13, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 7:57:58 AM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

I believe if you are German, you can fly a German registered aircraft in the United States just so long as it maintained in accordance with Europe/German regulations. A US registered pilot would not be legal to fly your sailplane and that is it. It would be the same if someone came from Canada.
Old November 19th 13, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ernst

In your situation, it is definitely best to keep the German registration. You can fly your glider with your German license. However, for flying with a club or commercial operation, you need a field check out. As this will be done in a US registered 2-place trainer you will need a US pilot license. It is a pretty straight forward process, but requires some planning ahead. And this gives you a chance to fly all these nice Schweizer gliders that you can find around this country!

There is/was a German in California who bought a US registered DG-400 and later converted it to a German registration and flew it in the US. I am not sure if he is still in the US, but I thought that he had found a way to keep the German registration for at least a couple of years. Google Marko Rocznik und you will find him.

Do not worry about the trailer hook-up and electrical connections there are plenty of solutions for it. Someone from NJ can comment if you need a trailer registration. Some states do not require it depending on weight, use and so on.

And do plan to go West with your glider.
Ernst

Old November 19th 13, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

However, for flying with a club or commercial operation, you need a field check out. As this will be done in a US registered 2-place trainer you will need a US pilot license.

This is not true. For a field check, you are flying as a student, with the instructor in back as pilot in command. No license at all is required. By the FAA, at least.

John Cochrane