Those *dangerous* Korean War relics

Old June 5th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Those *dangerous* Korean War relics

Gary Drescher wrote:

"Skywise" wrote in message

I'll second that. I'm sick and tired of the descendents of
the slaves demanding recompense (in whatever form) from the
descendents of the slave owners. Were you personally enslaved?
Were you personally a slave owner? I thought not.

Have you directly or indirectly inherited some of the wealth that the slave
owners stole from the black population? Thought so.

And both the blacks and the whites stole it from the native Americans,
so if anyone is owed compensation.... :-)

Matt
Old June 5th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Gary Drescher wrote:

"Skywise" wrote in message

Somewhere along the line in the past one of our ancesters
probably killed someone in cold blood. So, since you, me,
and anyone else probably benefitted from this murder, then
we should report to the nearest gallows to await our hanging.

You apparently fail to grasp the distinction between punishment (which no
one in this debate advocates) and civil reparation (returning something to
its rightful owner).

And who determines the rightful owner?

Matt
Old June 5th 06, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Gary Drescher" wrote in
:

"Skywise" wrote in message
Somewhere along the line in the past one of our ancesters
probably killed someone in cold blood. So, since you, me,
and anyone else probably benefitted from this murder, then
we should report to the nearest gallows to await our hanging.

You apparently fail to grasp the distinction between punishment (which no
one in this debate advocates) and civil reparation (returning something to
its rightful owner).

Ahhh...ok...then that means we have to give all the black people
back to their African home nations?

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old June 5th 06, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Gary Drescher" wrote in
:

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Gary Drescher" wrote:

If your father had stolen my father's car and you inherited it,
wouldn't it
be just for me to recover it from you?

If I am innocent, why would it be just to punish me?

It would not. That's why I didn't suggest it. (For example, I did not
suggest that you be imprisoned for the theft; *that* would be an
appropriate punishment for whoever is guilty of the theft.)

Seeking to return stolen property to its rightful owner is not legally
or morally the same as seeking to punish whoever had received the stolen
property, innocently or not. (Of course, if you knew or had reason to
know that it was stolen, then you're not so innocent at all.)

--Gary

Returning stolen property to it's rightful owner is one thing. But
we are talking about you and me today paying blacks of today some
sort of punitive reparations for what happened over a hundred years
ago by people and to people who are long dead.

Old June 5th 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jim Macklin" wrote in
newsAtgg.26330$ZW3.14292@dukeread04:

If you question my memory, you're certainly free to
research the matter and print your results.

Actually, Jim, the burden of proof is upon the claimant.

For example, if I claim to have seen a leprechaun, the
burden is on me to provide evidence of said observation.
Your statement would be like me asking for everyone else
to prove that I did not see it, which is impossible.

Old June 5th 06, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Kingfish" wrote in message
ups.com...
Saw this clip today about a derelict 1950's era AA gun sitting in some
guy's yard near DFW airport. "Concerned individuals" (i.e. dimwits)
called the news station worried about the gun being pointed toward the
airport, and being used to target aircraft(!) Fer Christ's sake, did
they notice the tall grass growing all around the thing? Don't most
public libraries and VFW halls have an old howitzer sitting outside?
Sheeesh...

http://www.nbc5i.com/video/9304340/index.html

I lurk a lot post a little. I had to comment on this one.

Incredible. Are people really this stupid, and is the local news in Dallas
really hurting for stories this bad.

The rest of this thread was interesting. The idea of reparations, while an
interesting topic for debate, is unworkable in many ways. The first and
most obvious, who will pay and who will be paid? How are you going to
determine this? You would have to do family trees for every person in
America, and every person who has lived in America. Every black person, or
person of black heritage, in America is not a descendant of a former slave.
Nor is every white person, or person of white heritage, a descendant of a
former slave owner.

Old June 5th 06, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"BucFan" wrote in message
"Kingfish" wrote in message
[...]

And you'll find that you also have white people with black slaves in their
family history and black people with white slave owners in their family
trees as well.

eg: Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings...

Jay B

Old June 5th 06, 08:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Others, with better memories, have posted the verification.
The author of the book worked for the Washington Post, Ted
Stanson posted this...
"
I saw the same interview on C-SPAN several years ago. Mr.
Macklin's
recollection is not inaccurate. I don't remember the exact
words,
phrases, and punctuation used, but Mr. Macklin correctly
posted the gist
of it here. Before challenging one's "worldview" and making
remarks
questioning "intellectual integrity," it's surely best to
know what you
are talking about."

And Matt Barrow posted this...
"Keith Richburg
http://capmag.com/article.asp?id=799

(Out of Africa: A Black Man Confronts Africa)."

"Skywise" wrote in message
| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in
| newsAtgg.26330$ZW3.14292@dukeread04:
|
| If you question my memory, you're certainly free to
| research the matter and print your results.
|
| Actually, Jim, the burden of proof is upon the claimant.
|
| For example, if I claim to have seen a leprechaun, the
| burden is on me to provide evidence of said observation.
| Your statement would be like me asking for everyone else
| to prove that I did not see it, which is impossible.
|
| Brian
| --
| http://www.skywise711.com - Lasers, Seismology, Astronomy,
Skepticism
http://www.skywise711.com/SeismicFAQ/SeismicFAQ.html
http://www.skywise711.com/quakes/EQDB/index.html

Old June 5th 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Skywise" wrote in message
Returning stolen property to it's rightful owner is one thing. But
we are talking about you and me today paying blacks of today some
sort of punitive reparations for what happened over a hundred years
ago by people and to people who are long dead.

Who is talking about *punitive* reparations?

--Gary

Old June 5th 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Skywise" wrote in message
"Gary Drescher" wrote in
:

"Skywise" wrote in message
Somewhere along the line in the past one of our ancesters
probably killed someone in cold blood. So, since you, me,
and anyone else probably benefitted from this murder, then
we should report to the nearest gallows to await our hanging.

You apparently fail to grasp the distinction between punishment (which no
one in this debate advocates) and civil reparation (returning something
its rightful owner).

Ahhh...ok...then that means we have to give all the black people
back to their African home nations?

That only follows if you regard black people as property (and your comment
suggests you do).

--Gary