VFR position reporting

Old November 20th 06, 10:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default VFR position reporting

I'm still not clear on the exact procedure for position reports if you
are flying VFR over long distances without flight following. To whom
do you report your position, and what information should it include?
Which positions do you report and how often?

Old November 20th 06, 10:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Scott Post

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:
I'm still not clear on the exact procedure for position reports if you
are flying VFR over long distances without flight following. To whom
do you report your position, and what information should it include?

I report our position to my wife and kids any time we're over something
cool. I'll sometimes dip a wing so they can see it. The wing dip isn't
strictly required by ATC, but it keeps the kid on the blind side of the
plane from whining so much.

You do realize that a radio isn't required for VFR flight, right? I
suppose when flying the Champ I could just yell out the window really
loud, "Hey ATC, I think I'm over Podunkville. Want me to drop down
and read the water tower to doublecheck?".

--
Scott Post
Old November 20th 06, 11:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Scott Post writes:

You do realize that a radio isn't required for VFR flight, right?

Yes, just as you surely realize that making position reports aids S&R
if you should happen to go down for any reason (if you have not
requested flight following from ATC). You do make position reports
when flying over long distances, don't you?

Old November 20th 06, 11:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Scott Post

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:
Scott Post writes:

You do realize that a radio isn't required for VFR flight, right?

Yes, just as you surely realize that making position reports aids S&R
if you should happen to go down for any reason (if you have not
requested flight following from ATC). You do make position reports
when flying over long distances, don't you?

Surely you aren't planning to make position reports in your game?

--
Scott Post
Old November 20th 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Scott Post writes:

Surely you aren't planning to make position reports in your game?

I have already done so. That's what distinguishes simulation from
games.

Old November 20th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Gig 601XL Builder

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Scott Post writes:

Surely you aren't planning to make position reports in your game?

I have already done so. That's what distinguishes simulation from
games.

You worry about VFR position reports yet you haven't gotten around to
learning how to use trim. You are playing a game that simulates flying.

I saw this article the other day and thought about you.
http://flighttraining.aopa.org/membe...icles/3582.cfm

Old November 21st 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Morgans[_2_]

"Scott Post" wrote in message
In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:
Scott Post writes:

You do realize that a radio isn't required for VFR flight, right?

Yes, just as you surely realize that making position reports aids S&R
if you should happen to go down for any reason (if you have not
requested flight following from ATC). You do make position reports
when flying over long distances, don't you?

Surely you aren't planning to make position reports in your game?

I can't believe that this idiot is so clueless. (Not Scott)

Would someone with a good book that covers about everything in today's flying,
PLEASE send it to him.

I'll even kick in to buy one, if it would stop all of these stupid questions.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 21st 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Christopher Brian Colohan

"Morgans" writes:
"Scott Post" wrote in message
In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:
Scott Post writes:

You do realize that a radio isn't required for VFR flight, right?

Yes, just as you surely realize that making position reports aids S&R
if you should happen to go down for any reason (if you have not
requested flight following from ATC). You do make position reports
when flying over long distances, don't you?

Surely you aren't planning to make position reports in your game?

I can't believe that this idiot is so clueless. (Not Scott)

Would someone with a good book that covers about everything in today's flying,
PLEASE send it to him.

I'll even kick in to buy one, if it would stop all of these stupid questions.

A few years ago, when I was still in grad school, I picked up an old
Jeppesen private pilot textbook on eBay for $5. If Mxsmanic can't
afford that, then I am not sure how he feeds himself.

If we are talking about something that cheap, hell, I'll chip in too.

Chris
Old November 21st 06, 09:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Thomas Borchert

Morgans,

if it would stop all of these stupid questions.

It wouldn't.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 20th 06, 12:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Thomas Borchert

Mxsmanic,

Yes, just as you surely realize that making position reports aids S&R
if you should happen to go down for any reason (if you have not
requested flight following from ATC).

And yet again, you know better than the real pilots. So tell us, how
and where did you get the idea above.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)