Using an iPad mini for soaring stuff

Old December 26th 13, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Using an iPad mini for soaring stuff

I use Dropbox to move files onto and off my iPad.

Completely free.
Old December 26th 13, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

Jim,

The problem with these adapters is that they are limited to moving image files to/from the iPad or iPhone. They won't support IGC files.

Theoretically it is possible to move IGC files to/from iOS devices via WiFi or Bluetooth, but the app has to support it. I wrote to Andrej Kolar of Naviter some months ago about this. He replied they were exploring it for getting files from the Vertica/Oudie type of device into the iOS version of SeeYou, but so far such a capability hasn't been released.

-John, Q3

On Wednesday, December 25, 2013 6:51:36 PM UTC-5, JS wrote:
You can plug a USB card into a smart phone using a cable called OTG - for
On The Go.

Found on Amazon or E-Bay.

The IPad camera kit has a USB adapter.

Jim

Old December 26th 13, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Just don't wear polarized glasses.

Old December 26th 13, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Staniforth

Not surprised. IOS is short for Inbred Operating System.
If you give someone an image on an SD card, IOS can only find it if it's in
the DCIM folder.
Jim
(sorry if a duplicate, seem only able to post from Gliderpilot.net this
week)

Old December 26th 13, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6X

I use IGC reader on an ipad. $1.99 app http://igcreader.com. I have been emailing the files and opening the attachment with IGC reader but it may possible camera USB adapter would allow direct import to IGC on ipad. IGC reader allows for cloud storage. Would not trade the ipad due to access to foreflight and skewt log pro apps that I use for preflight planning.
Old December 27th 13, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CJ[_3_]

It seems as though the original poster is complaining that the iPad doesn't
do what it was never designed to do, never advertised that it could do and
thus shouldn't be expected to do. Should a Ventus 2 be criticised for not
being able to carry a passenger?

Apple has made decisions regarding what can and can't be done on iPhones &
iPads for many reasons including security and usability. These decisions
mean that some really neat features (such as unrestricted file management
so you can download and export avionics updates) are not available. They
are on competing devices but those devices won't have some aviation
specific apps that may be important to you. You need to prioritise your
requirements and decide accordingly. The fact that ForeFlight, Logten Pro,
OzRunways et al refuse to make their apps available to other devices is
telling. They like what Apple does and how they do it and as they receive
no financial reward from being sole-platform (quite the opposite in fact),
their decision is based on the user experience available to iOS users.

Choose iOS/iPad, Android/Samsung Galaxy, WindowsRT/Microsoft Surface etc as
best suits you. Just don't buy a Cobra trailer and complain it doesn't tow
your boat.
Old December 27th 13, 06:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

CJ wrote, On 12/26/2013 8:21 PM:
[...]

I didn't complain, I described the situation. I like Apple, I like the
iPad, I wanted to use the iPad, and I hoped it would be all I needed to
support my travel and soaring in the Phoenix. Unfortunately, my
understanding of the iPad world wasn't nearly enough to make an optimum
decision (understatement).

With the excellent reputation and cultish admiration Apple has, imagine
the surprise and dismay of someone from the Windows world when he
discovers a simple action he can do with an old XP laptop in a few
minutes - upload a file from an SD card to the OLC - may not even be
possible with the newest, most elegant tablet computer made! Actually,
one exclamation point isn't enough.

I simply had no idea such a basic operation - file interchange - could
be so limited on such a device. I'm still blown away by that. And no way
to add memory either, a totally foreign idea to Windows user. I knew
Apple was different, but I thought it was at least from the same planet.

Anyway, on to my quest for a solution. So far, no luck, but there are
some possibilities, like the Airstash SC/USB/wifi device, and something
similar by Sandisk (The SanDisk Connect Wireless Flash Drive). Someone
suggested jailbreaking, but I'd like to keep the iPad stock and do it
with apps and hardware. In the meantime, I'm keeping the XP laptop close
by until this sorts out. I'm hoping a couple months from now, with the
Phoenix retrieved and more understanding iPads, Androids, and of what I
want a tablet to do, the way will be clear.

I just didn't think was going to be a pioneer (you know, those guys with
all the arrows in their backs).

email me)
Old December 27th 13, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Eric Greenwell wrote, On 12/26/2013 10:43 PM:

Anyway, on to my quest for a solution. So far, no luck, but there are
some possibilities, like the Airstash SC/USB/wifi device, and something
similar by Sandisk (The SanDisk Connect Wireless Flash Drive). Someone
suggested jailbreaking, but I'd like to keep the iPad stock and do it
with apps and hardware. In the meantime, I'm keeping the XP laptop close
by until this sorts out. I'm hoping a couple months from now, with the
Phoenix retrieved and more understanding iPads, Androids, and of what I
want a tablet to do, the way will be clear.

My problems may be "legacy" problems, as I think I've noticed a trend to
wireless connection of the flight computer and the hardware; for
example, the Butterfly vario offers wifi as an option, and Winpilot for
the iPad will connect to it using wifi - no cables needed. I assume a
two seater could have two iPads, both connected to the same vario over
wifi. It'd be super cool if the back seat iPad could mimic the vario
display, saving you the cost another $3500 vario!

A potential upgrade for "wired" units to wireless is the Bluetooth
dongle by K6 Team, which might let me use the iPad to connect to my 302
vario for vario data, and retrieve the IGC file after a flight. At $190,
it's a very expensive "cable", not much cheaper than the iPad itself.

email me)
Old December 27th 13, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Off topic, but is the Phoenix you're talking about, Eric?

http://www.phoenixairusa.com/LSA_Glider.html

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email
me)

Old December 27th 13, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Dan Marotta wrote, On 12/27/2013 9:31 AM:
Off topic, but is the Phoenix you're talking about, Eric?

http://www.phoenixairusa.com/LSA_Glider.html

That's the one!

email me)

iPad Mini Kneeboard? Anthony E Piloting 1 March 29th 13 01:37 PM
iPad 4? Duster Soaring 16 July 24th 12 10:55 PM
Any IPAD App designers out there? lanebush Soaring 1 September 19th 11 03:48 AM
Soaring Spot for iPhone/iPad Jelle Vandebeeck[_2_] Soaring 2 July 13th 11 05:06 PM
Region 1/ US Team Soaring mini-camp [email protected] Soaring 0 January 19th 08 07:17 PM