So what happens when 100LL is gone anyway?

Old July 23rd 05, 02:45 PM
Newps

Martin Hotze wrote:

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:53:28 GMT, Don Tuite wrote:

But you can't buy a new one in the state.

and what about Canada? are there any new diesels available? you still can
go up there and import one.

Maybe. The pollution laws are different and we have much stricter laws
than Canada. Any car/truck you import will have to meet the smog and
safety rules we have here. For American cars/trucks sold in Canada
probably not that big a deal. You'd want a new speedometer head as they
use that stupid metric system up there.

Old July 23rd 05, 02:46 PM
Thomas Borchert

Newps,

I will give up a
few miles per gallon to drive something substantial.

Just goes to show that fuel is too cheap in the US...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 23rd 05, 03:40 PM
George Patterson

Cub Driver wrote:

Surely it would be easier to stop in Oregon en route?

You missed a link in the discussion. It appears that modern European diesel
engines are not available anywhere in the U.S.. It's been argued that this is
because California and New York don't allow them to be sold. In any case, you
can't buy them in Oregon.

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.
Old July 23rd 05, 03:47 PM
George Patterson

Martin Hotze wrote:

and what about Canada? are there any new diesels available? you still can
go up there and import one.

About ten years ago, I looked into the regs for importing a car. Basically, the
car has to be taken to a local dealer. The dealer adds or changes equipment
until it meets the U.S. safety and emissions laws. This is not feasible if the
model was never imported into the States.

Cars which you owned outside the country were exempt at that time, but few of us
can afford to buy a car and spend several months driving it in a foreign country
to meet the ownership requirements.

If you manage to get through thsoe hoops, you would definitely want to change
the radiator. Most Canadian cars have thinner ones than U.S. cars do.

Old July 23rd 05, 04:39 PM
Bob Noel

In article ,
Thomas Borchert wrote:

I will give up a
few miles per gallon to drive something substantial.

Just goes to show that fuel is too cheap in the US...

Somewhat presumptuous of others to tell the US that
fuel economy is more important than tax revenues and
safety.

--
Bob Noel
no one likes an educated mule

Old July 23rd 05, 04:56 PM
Don Tuite

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 07:16:24 +0200, Martin Hotze
wrote:

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:53:28 GMT, Don Tuite wrote:

But you can't buy a new one in the state.

and what about Canada? are there any new diesels available? you still can
go up there and import one.

Easier than that, I can buy one in Oregon or Nevada, but where would I
take it for repairs? My local VW dealer won't have paid to send his
mechanics to school to learn how to fix turbo diesels he can't sell.

Don
Old July 23rd 05, 07:44 PM
Sylvain

Cub Driver wrote:

I can't find much in my clothes closet, office, or garage that WAS
made in the U.S. Of the Big Five U.S. automobile manufacturers, one is
German and two are Japanese.

well, when I moved here, I made a point of buying a US made car
(yes and I did check the VIN number to see from which factory it
came from :-)

only a foreigner would do that :-)))

--Sylvain
Old July 23rd 05, 07:50 PM
Sylvain

Newps wrote:

and what about Canada? are there any new diesels available? you still can
go up there and import one.

I did look into that when I wanted to buy a 'Smart' -- sold both
in Mexico and Canada, but NOT in USA, where the manufacturer
prefers to sell a SUV under that brand... -- for one
thing some dealers won't sell to someone with a US address (the
manufacturer they represent might get upset) and importing a
car which is less than 25 years old is going to cost you a bundle,
in the best case scenario, i.e., it probably won't even be
possible.

probably not that big a deal. You'd want a new speedometer head as they
use that stupid metric system up there.

the cars there seem to have both markings on their speedometer

--Sylvain

Old July 24th 05, 01:43 AM
Mike Rapoport

He has a point. Cheap fuel has encouraged consumers to do all the "wrong"
things for a country facing rapidly rising energy costs. Living far from
work, driving large vehicles and living in large houses are all encouraged
by cheap fuel. It makes more sense to tax consumption than production.

Mike
MU-2

Old July 24th 05, 03:04 AM
Bob Noel

In article . net,
"Mike Rapoport" wrote:

He has a point. Cheap fuel has encouraged consumers to do all the "wrong"
things for a country facing rapidly rising energy costs. Living far from
work, driving large vehicles and living in large houses are all encouraged
by cheap fuel. It makes more sense to tax consumption than production.

It's way more complicated than energy being "too cheap". For example,
in some cases people live far from work because housing is way too
expensive around work. Increase the energy costs by raising taxes and
you'll make the local housing even more unaffordable.

[snip]
Just goes to show that fuel is too cheap in the US...

Somewhat presumptuous of others to tell the US that
fuel economy is more important than tax revenues and
safety.

--
Bob Noel
no one likes an educated mule

Nothing like a cold splash of 100LL in the face to wake up a pilot Peter R. Piloting 20 October 1st 04 11:25 PM
Future of 100LL? Michael Owning 0 August 2nd 04 09:29 AM
Future of 100LL? Michael Piloting 0 August 2nd 04 09:29 AM
How blue is 100LL? Ben Jackson Piloting 26 May 1st 04 11:10 AM
When was the switch to 100LL? Roger Long Piloting 0 August 21st 03 11:01 AM