Unfriendly Skies

Old March 10th 04, 12:57 AM
Roger Long

Default Unfriendly Skies

I picked up a 1989 book in our local swap shop called "Unfriendly Skies" by
Captain "X" and Reynolds Dodson. It's an "as told to" about the deregulated
airline industry and a pretty good read. It sounds like not much has
changed in the last 10 years except the airlines are losing even more money.
Some good almost crashing stories by the Captain.

Boy, does this guy hate AOPA and little airplanes! He makes a big deal
about the then recent fight over the creation of Class B and C airspace and
how AOPA fought the transponder requirement. I'm a little shocked to hear
this. I like crossing that invisible magenta line and knowing the everyone
I meet for the next few miles will probably have one and be talking.

Has anybody else read this book?

--
Roger Long

Old March 10th 04, 01:17 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Roger Long wrote:

Has anybody else read this book?

Yeah. It's one of the very few books I've read that I threw away.

George Patterson
Battle, n; A method of untying with the teeth a political knot that would
not yield to the tongue.
Old March 10th 04, 03:41 AM
CFLav8r

Do you like airline stories?
If so, you might want to look for a book called:
Debunking the Myth.
It was written by an ex-Delta VP that was at the
time breaking the silence on how Delta was no
longer a happy family run business.
But as we all know, none of the airlines are happy
families anymore.

David

Old March 10th 04, 04:25 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Roger Long" om
wrote:

I picked up a 1989 book in our local swap shop called "Unfriendly Skies" by
Captain "X" and Reynolds Dodson. It's an "as told to" about the deregulated
airline industry and a pretty good read. It sounds like not much has
changed in the last 10 years except the airlines are losing even more money.
Some good almost crashing stories by the Captain.

Boy, does this guy hate AOPA and little airplanes! He makes a big deal
about the then recent fight over the creation of Class B and C airspace and
how AOPA fought the transponder requirement. I'm a little shocked to hear
this. I like crossing that invisible magenta line and knowing the everyone
I meet for the next few miles will probably have one and be talking.

Has anybody else read this book?

--
Roger Long

I am a veteran of that battle -- its intent was to put everybody under
"positive control," which the system could never handle. At that time,
there was a coterie of seven who ruled FAA -- two of whom were Keith
Potts, then head of ATC and Herman McClure, then head of FAA Western
Div. They had no use for the Little Guy, and wanted to push us off the
map.

Eventually, we formed a petition to reassign Potts -- McCluire was also
reassigned.
Old March 10th 04, 02:30 PM
Snowbird

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message ...
Roger Long wrote:
Has anybody else read this book?

Yeah. It's one of the very few books I've read that I threw away.

George,

Why so?

Sydney
Old March 10th 04, 04:13 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Snowbird wrote:

Why so?

I don't remember all of the details, but there was a general attitude of "what
a great pilot I am" exemplified by the story in which ATC tells him he can have
any altitude he wants 'cause the weather's so bad nobody else is flying. There's
the outright hatred for GA exemplified by the statement that everyone calls the
lower sky "Indian Country" 'cause we're all out to get people like him. And there's
the fact that I really despise anonymous authors.

Normally I will give a book away if I simply don't intend to read it again. I
found this one poisonous enough to send it to the landfill.

Old March 10th 04, 04:31 PM
Tony Cox

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

.... There's
the outright hatred for GA exemplified by the statement that everyone

calls the
lower sky "Indian Country" 'cause we're all out to get people like him.

I thought "Indian Country" was a reference to all the little
planes being named after tribes. Well, the Piper planes
anyway. Oh well. Live and learn.

Old March 10th 04, 05:46 PM
PS2727

I agree with George, the book was anti-GA in a big way. The impression was that
airline pilots in general feel the same but that is not the case. Most have
some experience and many own light planes and are very pro- GA.
Old March 10th 04, 06:07 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

At that time,
there was a coterie of seven who ruled FAA -- two of whom were Keith
Potts, then head of ATC and Herman McClure, then head of FAA Western
Div. They had no use for the Little Guy, and wanted to push us off the
map.

It would not surprise me at all to find that this book is a collection of
anecdotes assembled by one of these guys masquerading as a pilot.

Old March 10th 04, 06:58 PM
pacplyer

My Hat's off to you Orval, if you fought the "keep little airplanes
away from the airports their fuel taxes paid for" war. IIRC, airlines
in the past were nearly exempt from fuel tax, so most inter-city
airports were largely funded and built by General Aviation. But
airline management with the FAA nodding along, wanted to ban GA
entirely from those airports. I remember that AOPA was fighting
against the expense aspect that a transponder and later mode C would
impact on its members. (remember Roger, traffic was not as dense in
many areas as it is today, the need for ATC seperation was not as
obvious as it is today.)

The Deregulation act of 78', however, has turned the Orient Express of
the skies into Amtrack. The golden years are over as long as long as
gov looks at aviation purely as a money-getter. And that's a foolish
outlook when you consider that all of aviation (including aerospace)
has only returned 2% on investment, historically. You wouldn't put
your money in a S&L with that kind of dismal return. This country's
big enough to build new reliever airports everywhere. But every time
we put our hard-earned dollars into an aviation trust fund or Soc Sec
system it just gets raided by the political flakes. Scotty, please
beam me back to the thirties...

pacplyer - out

Orval Fairbairn wrote in message ...
In article ,