audio of VFR pilot in IFR condictions

Old December 26th 03, 03:03 AM
John T

"Chris Schmelzer" wrote in message

Simple example of what gets people killed in any sort of risky
activity (be it rock climbing, mountaineering, scuba diving, etc..)

PANIC!

Quite true.

...all he had to
do was look at the damn instruments and put himself in level flight
and wait for direction..

It's very easy to judge when you're not the one in his situation. Even
instrument rated pilots have been known to lose control after venturing into
IMC.

This is why you need to train and THINK about your response to
emergencies so you don't turn into a COMPLETE freaking idiot in an
emergency...

Luckily that (turning into an "idiot") will never happen to you, right?

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old December 26th 03, 05:44 AM
Nick

"John T" wrote in message ews.com...
"Cecil E. Chapman" wrote in message

I was surprised to learn that one of the controllers at another
airport I've flown to in the past, actually had never been a pilot
NOR ever BEEN IN a G.A. aircraft.

Why was that surprising?

Hi, I don't have a pilot's license and nor have I started training for
one, but does the radio chatter usually sound this clear? I was
discouraged a little bit earlier in the week when I was listening in
to some ATC that I couldn't understand! Thanks...
Old December 26th 03, 01:25 PM
Geoffrey Barnes

Hi, I don't have a pilot's license and nor have I started training for
one, but does the radio chatter usually sound this clear? I was
discouraged a little bit earlier in the week when I was listening in
to some ATC that I couldn't understand! Thanks...

No, it doesn't usually sound this clear. But the only the first section of
the recording was recorded from the radio. The middle section was between
two different ATC facilities, and was thus took place over a dedicated
telephone line. The final section was recorded when the pilot called in for
a weather briefing later that day.

The radio section did seem remarkably clear. It's possible that it has been
run through some filters to clean it up a bit. Maybe the pilot happened to
be right on top of receiving station for the particular facility.

The radio is almost completely impossible to understand when you first start
to listen. The sound quality isn't great, people talk very quickly,
standard radio procedures are soundly ignored, and many phases are
abbreviated in some way. If you happen to know any pilots, it might help to
have one of them listen in with you and translate a bit, but even that isn't
all that necessary.

The good news is that once you begin to get used to the things that are
commonly said on the radio, it will begin to make much more sense to you.
Then when you begin your training, you will be way ahead of the pack when it
comes to radio work.

You are going to begin flight training, aren't you? You know you want to do
it!

Old December 26th 03, 01:31 PM
Dennis O'Connor

ATC trainees are taught that the pilot is responsible for the safety of the
airplane and the controller is responsible for the safety of the airport -
period...
Denny
On 2003-12-25 15:23:45 -0800, "Cecil E. Chapman"

said:

The other thing that bugs me is that the VFR pilot (like another poster

has
already said) really received very little useful control input (aside

from
the first instruction to break the stall) and instrument interpretation
instructions. At one point the VFR pilot was simply told to "just fly
straight and level" when the pilot found himself in IMC again. I can

think
of a plethora of other suggestions that might have been made to the VFR
pilot, on how exactly he should interpret 'straight and level' using his
instruments and more importantly how to make turns at a bank and turn

rate
that is appropriate to being in IMC. All of which could be explained
quickly without overwhelming the pilot.

There's no requirement for ATS types to know anything about flying

airplanes, and they should not try to give flight instruction over the
radio. For similar reasons, I do not attempt to provide weather briefings
or radar vectors.

--
Larry Fransson
Seattle, WA

Old December 26th 03, 04:43 PM
December

In article , Larry Dighera says...

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 23:34:45 -0500, Aardvark
wrote in Message-Id:
:

http://www.naats.org/docs/flightassist.mp3

While this FSS controller promotional audio clip seems to provide a
glimpse at a very frightened pilot's fear of death, I failed to find
any meaningful assistance provided by FAA personnel other than some
dubious control input suggestions. It seems the pilot was able to
regain control of his aircraft and composure merely as a result of
having the (false?) reassurance of contact with another human.
Interesting stuff.

It also goes to show that flying really can't be _that_ dangerous at all. Look
at all the almost winners of Darwin awards that are still out there alive and
flying today.

Old December 26th 03, 07:16 PM
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 08:31:34 -0500, "Dennis O'Connor"
wrote in Message-Id:
:

ATC trainees are taught that the pilot is responsible for the safety of the
airplane and the controller is responsible for the safety of the airport -
period...

Perhaps. But that would run counter to FAA Order 7110.65's mandate
for ATC to issue Safety Alerts:
http://www2.faa.gov/atpubs/ATC/Chp2/atc0201.html#2-1-6
Old December 26th 03, 09:48 PM
Neil Gould

Recently, Larry Dighera posted:

wrote in Message-Id:
:

http://www.naats.org/docs/flightassist.mp3

While this FSS controller promotional audio clip seems to provide a
glimpse at a very frightened pilot's fear of death, I failed to find
any meaningful assistance provided by FAA personnel other than some
dubious control input suggestions. It seems the pilot was able to
regain control of his aircraft and composure merely as a result of
having the (false?) reassurance of contact with another human.
Interesting stuff.

If the pilot had been unable to regain control, the rest would have been
moot. Once control was regained, the guy was still lost, with no idea of
which way to turn to get into VFR conditions. To me, that was the
meaningful assistance provided by the FAA personnel, and I'm hard pressed
to think of a reasonable substitute.

Regards & happy holidays,

Neil

Old December 26th 03, 11:37 PM
Newps

Dennis O'Connor wrote:

ATC trainees are taught that the pilot is responsible for the safety of the
airplane and the controller is responsible for the safety of the airport -
period...

If you are VFR. If you are IFR I also am largely responsible for your
safety as well.

Old December 27th 03, 01:52 AM
Cecil E. Chapman

Why was that surprising?

It isn't a surprise, 'now', but when I was a primary student (and learned
that there was no requirement that controllers to be pilots too) I was
surprised, because I had just presumed that they 'must' be pilots, that's
all....

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures complete with pictures and text at:
www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -

Old December 27th 03, 02:29 PM
Cecil E. Chapman

Why was that surprising?

--
John T

Me again..... I just think that it would be prudent to have controllers
that were also pilots, just as it is prudent for (at least it is required by
law, in parts of California) food service workers to have some training in
handling choking problems.

=-----