Amazing World Gliding Championships Photos

Old July 31st 14, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
7K

Default Amazing World Gliding Championships Photos

We have over 500 pictures on our camera, plus video that we will post form the Worlds here in Poland, but until then, I want to pass along some Facebook pages with a lot of great pictures. It's really worth a look.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...05156& type=1

https://www.facebook.com/studioltv/photos_stream

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...41284611_n.jpg

7K
Old July 31st 14, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy K

On Thursday, July 31, 2014 5:14:36 PM UTC-4, 7K wrote:
We have over 500 pictures on our camera, plus video that we will post form the Worlds here in Poland, but until then, I want to pass along some Facebook pages with a lot of great pictures. It's really worth a look.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...05156& type=1

https://www.facebook.com/studioltv/photos_stream

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...41284611_n.jpg

7K

I like the picture where you land and the lightning is just behind you, must have been exciting. Good luck!
Old July 31st 14, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Thursday, July 31, 2014 5:28:18 PM UTC-4, Andy K wrote:
I like the picture where you land and the lightning is
just behind you, must have been exciting. Good luck!

Mark wants lightening just behind him to help him
fly faster. My favorite is the guy just about to
land gear-up (can you see his expression?)...
Old August 1st 14, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GM

On Thursday, July 31, 2014 5:14:36 PM UTC-4, 7K wrote:
We have over 500 pictures on our camera, plus video that we will post form the Worlds here in Poland, but until then, I want to pass along some Facebook pages with a lot of great pictures. It's really worth a look.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...05156& type=1

https://www.facebook.com/studioltv/photos_stream

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...41284611_n.jpg

7K

How did the next five seconds following picture 32 turn out? I hope well!
Also, the guy in picture 28 is about to have an 'oh $hit-moment'. Looks like the gear is on its way back up.
Uli
Old August 1st 14, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy K

On Thursday, July 31, 2014 6:40:04 PM UTC-4, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Thursday, July 31, 2014 5:28:18 PM UTC-4, Andy K wrote:

I like the picture where you land and the lightning is

just behind you, must have been exciting. Good luck!

Mark wants lightening just behind him to help him

fly faster. My favorite is the guy just about to

land gear-up (can you see his expression?)...

I can't believe people buy a $150 k glider without a "gear up" warning.
Old August 1st 14, 12:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
7K

Hi Marshall,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems you haven't been in flying very long, because if you had, you would know that there are lots of very smart people who have done the same. And more than you know that have come very close.. Smartness and how much they paid for the glider have nothing to do with it.

Allow me to set the stage here so you can understand a little better. There are about 132 gliders here. Most of them finish within a very short period of time each day, so it gets very busy on final glide, approach and landing. We can land three gliders side by side if we have to, and frequently we do. There is little room for error. Even two miles out on the approach, we have to commit to one of the lanes so that we don't turn in to the glider that we can't see above or below us to each side. Then throw in weather and what the glider that just landed in front is going to do. Did I mention that his crew car is rushing out to get him, and in my path too? Don't forget that there are another three gliders behind me, lined up for the same patch of real estate that is my landing spot for only a brief time. We have to land long to give them enough room to do that, while avoiding the previously mentioned obstacles. It's amazing choreography and it's intense. Are you dizzy yet?

Most of the time we handle this very well, but occasionally one of us makes a human error while trying to prioritize and then minimize the risks we face. I'm not excusing any gear up landing. I'm just saying that those of us with decades of flying experience don't criticize a gear up landing because the pilot wasn't "smart" enough. The reason we don't is because we know it can happen to us on the next landing. We also try very hard to let a little time elapse before we hit the send button.

Here's to the hope that you and I never scrape the belly. Cheers!

7K
Old August 1st 14, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

Ther are two kinds of glider pilot. Those that have landed wheels up and
those that are going to one day.

Old August 1st 14, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Rollings[_2_]

And a few vintage enthusiasts who only fly fixed wheel gliders.

Old August 1st 14, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Friday, August 1, 2014 8:01:24 AM UTC-4, Jim White wrote:
There are two kinds of glider pilot.
Those that have landed wheels up and those that are going to one day.

Actually, the third kind is:
- those that have landed gear up more than once

See ya, Dave

PS: It would be extremely rude to ask me how I know.
Old August 1st 14, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GM

On Friday, August 1, 2014 9:13:01 AM UTC-4, Chris Rollings wrote:
And a few vintage enthusiasts who only fly fixed wheel gliders.

... or the ones that fly gliders which don't have any wheels at all .....
There are still a few of those around - gliders and pilots!

Uli