Piper Wing Lighting

Old October 29th 04, 04:50 AM
Jessewright8

Default Piper Wing Lighting

Has anyone had any experience with the 'skylight' brand of wing lighting? I
have never heard of it until today when I saw it in a flyer for Cherokee Pilots
Assoc. I have been looking at wingtip lighting... but it's pricey. The
skylight lighting is mounted into the leading edge, rather than the wingtips
and is about half the cost of the wingtip set up. Thanks.

Jesse
N4372X
Old October 29th 04, 04:56 AM
Jay Honeck

Has anyone had any experience with the 'skylight' brand of wing lighting?
have never heard of it until today when I saw it in a flyer for Cherokee
Pilots
Assoc. I have been looking at wingtip lighting... but it's pricey. The
skylight lighting is mounted into the leading edge, rather than the
wingtips
and is about half the cost of the wingtip set up. Thanks.

They are a popular option for Cherokee Six, Pathfinder and Dakota drivers,
cuz our wing-tip gas tanks preclude the installation of the more common
wingtip landing lights.

I've been eying them longingly for the last couple of years, but have never
actually spoken with anyone who has them installed. The guy who makes them
is apparently very "old school," and he has neither email nor a website.

But the price is sure right. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who
has experience with them, too.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 29th 04, 07:41 PM
John Kunkel

"Jessewright8" wrote in message
Has anyone had any experience with the 'skylight' brand of wing lighting?

have never heard of it until today when I saw it in a flyer for Cherokee

Pilots
Assoc. I have been looking at wingtip lighting... but it's pricey. The
skylight lighting is mounted into the leading edge, rather than the

wingtips
and is about half the cost of the wingtip set up. Thanks.

I installed a set on my Arrow II and have only good things to say about the
kit and the finished product.

Old October 29th 04, 08:08 PM
Aaron Coolidge

Jay Honeck wrote:

: I've been eying them longingly for the last couple of years, but have never
: actually spoken with anyone who has them installed. The guy who makes them
: is apparently very "old school," and he has neither email nor a website.

Jay, I have flown 2 different Arrows with these lights. They're really good.
One of these Arrows has the cowling landing light completely faired over.
That's probably good for another knot or two...
Both these airplanes have a split switch for the landing lights now. You can
run either the left, right, or both. Put some HID's in there, and they'll
last 5,000 hours to boot.
--
Aaron Coolidge
Old October 30th 04, 02:57 AM
Jay Honeck

I installed a set on my Arrow II and have only good things to say about
the
kit and the finished product.

How many hours did it take to install?

Do you have the split landing light switch now, or did you wire them to the
existing switch?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 30th 04, 09:07 PM
John Kunkel

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
I installed a set on my Arrow II and have only good things to say about
the
kit and the finished product.

How many hours did it take to install?

I didn't keep track of the time; several days at a leisurely pace.

Do you have the split landing light switch now, or did you wire them to

the
existing switch?

The STC calls for leaving the existing cowl mounted light intact so I moved
things around to have the original switch power the cowl and the split
switch power the wing lights. All three turned on at idle would exceed the
alternator output.

Old October 30th 04, 10:03 PM
zatatime

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 20:07:37 GMT, "John Kunkel"
wrote:

All three turned on at idle would exceed the
alternator output.

Doesn't that make your airplane "illegal" (technically speaking of
course).

I thought the total draw of an electrical system could not exceed 80%
of the output capacity of the alternator.

Am I incorrect, or is there more to this concept?

Old October 30th 04, 10:18 PM
Jay Masino

zatatime wrote:
All three turned on at idle would exceed the
alternator output.

Doesn't that make your airplane "illegal" (technically speaking of
course).
I thought the total draw of an electrical system could not exceed 80%
of the output capacity of the alternator.
Am I incorrect, or is there more to this concept?

The way it was explained to me, once upon a time, was... Landing/Taxi
lights are considered "intermitant loads" and are not added in for the 80%
load calculation. Same goes for pitot heat. In fact, when you're adding
up your loads, you only add the receive power draw for your Com radios,
and not the transmit power draw.

--- Jay

--
__!__