Survival Kits

Old March 2nd 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67

Default Survival Kits

I am a big believer in having some form of survival kit in my glider.
Even in the "wilds" of the midwest I can get stuck outside for a while
before being "rescued". I am always on the lookout for items to add
to my kit which I have built up over time. Whistles, fire starters,
signal mirrors, space blankets, etc.

There was a small sidebar article in today's Chicago Tribune that
caught my eye about a company that makes compact survival kits
intended for the car, etc. One small one in particular seems like a
nice thing to have and I thought that I would pass it on. Enjoy.

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/... NO=0140-0707

Old March 2nd 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stewart Kissel

Just out of curiousity...has any pilot died of exposure
after landing out?

Old March 2nd 07, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

For some other ideas, Google "Aviators Survival Vest".

Bill Daniels

oups.com...

Old March 2nd 07, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
COLIN LAMB

"Just out of curiousity...has any pilot died of exposure after landing out?"

Yes - many. That answer is in response to the word "pilots". As to
sailplane pilots, I am not sure. Sailplane pilots tend not to fly during
inclement weather in the middle of winter, so the odds improve.

I teach survival classes to our Search and Rescue group. The most important
things are food and water - then heat. Knowing how to start a fire can be
critical when the weather is inclement. A few years ago we found a hunter
and two sons that were suffering from severe hypothermia. They had many
matches but could not start a fire.

The soaring pilot has a lot of things going for him, especially with an ELT.
Perhaps the most critical thing is hydration. Without it, you can die in a
couple of days. If you keep other pilots informed where you are, you are
unlikely to be missing long.

Colin

Old March 2nd 07, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 1, 8:21 pm, "COLIN LAMB" wrote:
[...]

Survival kits are for pussies.

I've watched enough of Bear Grylls to know that I can survive in any
environment with nothing more than a pocket knife, a water bottle, and
a film crew.

Old March 2nd 07, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 1, 11:23 pm, wrote:
[...]

check www.equipped.org

I have got to make room in my landout kit for a small novel this
season. waiting for retrieves gets pretty boring...

Old March 2nd 07, 07:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pete Brown

" What you are wearing and the gear stuffed in your pockets
is your survival gear. What you left in the back of the
plane is your camping gear."

The Alaska version of this saying was developed by the
search teams that arrived at numerous crash sites where
there wasn't much useful left after impact in power planes
If you have to bail out of a glider in the western US, its
probably just as true.

http://www.silverparachutes.com/wst_page12.html

I have a medium SMAK from Silver Parachutes on my chute. I
threw out the strobe and stuffed in a space blanket, a
mosquito head net (mighty nice up here, you might want to
substitute a power bar), and extra matches.

Pete
Anchorage

Old March 2nd 07, 07:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bert Willing

I guess once you have been siiting for a night or two on a glacier in
10'000ft in the middle of August, you might re-think that phrase...

nk.net...

Old March 2nd 07, 07:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Trev Cook

Dear American Friends,

You chaps just dont get it! The British Empire established itself on the =
fine tradition of the Pub! Any sensible glider pilot lands near one, is =
well fortified with the local food and nectar, and is then rescued by =
their crew, who then partake of the local treats after a good retrieve. =
Shame you chaps went native, never mind.

Regards,

Trev
--- Original Message -----=20

Author: Pete Brown
Date/Time: 07:00 02 March 2007

-----
" What you are wearing and the gear stuffed in your pockets=20
is your survival gear. What you left in the back of the=20
plane is your camping gear."

The Alaska version of this saying was developed by the=20
search teams that arrived at numerous crash sites where=20
there wasn't much useful left after impact in power planes=20
If you have to bail out of a glider in the western US, its=20
probably just as true.

http://www.silverparachutes.com/wst_page12.html

I have a medium SMAK from Silver Parachutes on my chute. I=20
threw out the strobe and stuffed in a space blanket, a=20
mosquito head net (mighty nice up here, you might want to=20

Old March 2nd 07, 12:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Alin

COLIN LAMB wrote:
"Just out of curiousity...has any pilot died of exposure after landing out?"

Yes - many. That answer is in response to the word "pilots". As to
sailplane pilots, I am not sure. Sailplane pilots tend not to fly during
inclement weather in the middle of winter, so the odds improve.

Colin

I heard about a case in the alps where a crashed glider pilot was not
found by a search an rescue team because he left his glider. I think he
was frozen to death.

Andreas

Survival II [email protected] Home Built 44 July 3rd 06 08:30 PM
Survival [email protected] Home Built 1 May 12th 06 05:58 PM
Emergency Survival Kit Rosspilot Piloting 5 March 3rd 04 08:57 PM
Survival Gear EDR Owning 22 February 15th 04 03:43 AM
F-4 Survival Kit? davidG35 Military Aviation 7 July 25th 03 03:58 AM