Royal Air Force - WWII bases

Old December 13th 03, 04:29 AM
Mike Yared

Default Royal Air Force - WWII bases

Are the following RAF bases under Bomber Command during WWII or some other
command?

Khormaksar RAF Station, Aden
Australia?
Ascension Island
Bahamas
Bermuda
Canada?
RAF Minneriya, Ceylon
Cyprus
Gibraltar
Hong Kong
India
Kenya
Malta
Masirah Island RAF Station, Oman
Singapore

Thanks
Mike

Old December 13th 03, 06:56 AM
David Bromage

Mike Yared wrote:
Are the following RAF bases under Bomber Command during WWII or some

other
command?

Working purely from memory here, so corrections would be welcome.

Khormaksar RAF Station, Aden

I think it came directly under HQ British Forces, Aden.

Australia?

RAAF.

Ascension Island

Fleet Air Arm, wasn't it?

Bahamas
Bermuda

US got 99 year leases on all the naval and air bases under the Act of
Havana in 1940. There were some RAF OTUs in the Bahamas, but I think any
units nominally came under West Indies Command.

Canada?

RCAF.

RAF Minneriya, Ceylon

HQ RAF Ceylo, but was reduced to Group status in about 1941.

Cyprus
Malta

I think the bases were under Mediterranean Air Command.

Gibraltar

Mediterranean Air Command.

Hong Kong
Singapore

Far East Command, later AHQ Far East.

India

Air Forces in India, later AHQ India.

Kenya

Not sure.

Masirah Island RAF Station, Oman

AHQ Iraq and Persia, I think,

Cheers
David

Old December 13th 03, 07:06 AM
Ed Majden

"Mike Yared"
Are the following RAF bases under Bomber Command during WWII or some other
command?

Khormaksar RAF Station, Aden
Australia?
Ascension Island
Bahamas
Bermuda
Canada?
RAF Minneriya, Ceylon
Cyprus
Gibraltar
Hong Kong
India
Kenya
Malta
Masirah Island RAF Station, Oman
Singapore

Thanks
Mike

Mike:
I'm not sure what information you are after here??? You can do a search
with 'google' for RAF WWII bases for more information. RCAF was Number 6
Bomber Group. The 400 to 450 series of Squadrons were assigned as Canadian
Squadrons.
BCATP, The British Commonwealth Air Training Plan was set up in Canada to
train both aircrews and ground crews for Commonwealth recruits. Many bases
were set up across Canada for this purpose. During the Battle of Britain
around 100 Canadian pilots were attached to RAF fighter command.
Ed

Old December 15th 03, 01:43 PM
Jim Campbell

David Bromage writes:

Mike Yared wrote:
Are the following RAF bases under Bomber Command during WWII or

some other
command?

Working purely from memory here, so corrections would be welcome.

Canada?

RCAF.

Actually, some bases were under RAF control. For example, Greenwood, Nova
Scotia was RAF Greenwood from 1942-44 and then became RCAF Greenwood.
My hometown of Charlottetown, PEI was an RAF station as well (not sure if
became RCAF before becoming a commercial airport). I am guessing that
pre-1943 the RCAF just didn't have the resources to administrate and man
all of the training bases.

Ref:
http://www.airforce.forces.ca/14wing...history2_e.asp

Cheers